Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
LRP Speedos and Schottky Diode >

LRP Speedos and Schottky Diode

LRP Speedos and Schottky Diode

Old 08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default LRP Speedos and Schottky Diode

I have a LRP Quantum 2 speedo in my touring car, my quesiton, is should I install the Schottky Diode on this unit?

Also I was reading on Hobby Talk, and they note that you should set the "current limiter at 50A (with a stock motor)", yes I'm running a PK2 Pro motor. How do you set the limiter on this unit? I see that you can change the mode to map 3, for touring cars.

Remember I'm a newbie so hitting things is normal, but this is reducing weekly
Old 08-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Talking

You shouldn't need one, but it's a good idea to install one anyway.

As for tuning, there is a little saying which I will not repeat because I am a nice person. The expression is often reffered to by it's acronym; RTFM. It stands for Read The --- Manual.

Just incase you lost the manual, or it wasn't included with the speed control, it's avalible online.

LRP Quantum 2 Manual

Sorry if my acronym offended you, it's all in fun.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
You shouldn't need one, but it's a good idea to install one anyway.

As for tuning, there is a little saying which I will not repeat because I am a nice person. The expression is often reffered to by it's acronym; RTFM. It stands for Read The --- Manual.

Just incase you lost the manual, or it wasn't included with the speed control, it's avalible online.

LRP Quantum 2 Manual

Sorry if my acronym offended you, it's all in fun.
Nope you did not offend me, I know this one well. However, I did read it many times before the posting, and not sure if the "normal" setup mode is the way to go, as a number of persons at the local track have said do all the settings with the radio, not on the ESC. This is a little confussing, since the ESC has different modes. Like I'm side, I getting better each week, but when you spend this much coin an a ESC, I would like to not mess it up or do something stuipid.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

I understand completely. The manual says at the bottom of the setup procedure, if you make a mistake, unplug the battery for about 10 seconds and repeat the process. I wouldn't worry to much about the settings, the speed control seems forgiving. It isn't as simple as a Novak, but the instructions will get you by. I don't see much about a current limiter, which is strange. I know the Novak Tempest PRO I have has a current limiter that is adjusted by a screw of the top. Don't even bother looking for one on your speed control, the Tempest may be a competing speed control, but to say it's outdated would be an understatemet worthy of a kick in the face. Your speed control is much more advanced than the old racer ESC's out there, and I'm betting that the reactive software will take care of current selection. I may be wrong however, seeing as how the only LRP I've ever dealt with was a Runner PRO W/ Reverse. Not only am I inexperienced with LRP, but I actually made my Runner PRO W/ Reverse just a Runner PRO. A stupid, irresponsible mistake destroyed all the reverse circutry inside the speed control, so now I have a ROAR legal ESC! Note to self: never hook the battery wires up to the motor leads with the intention of testing the motor while the ESC still wired to the motor. Reverse voltage= "NoNo"
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How do you select the MAP mode?

I have an LRP Quantum 2 Competition fitted in my X-Ray T1R.

How do you select between the 5 different MAP modes ?

I can't see anything in the manual?

Only punch,initial brake and neutral brake settings seem to be mentioned?

I Want to use Mode 3...Touring Car mode.

How?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Your LRP ESC should have 4 black small boxes that fit onto the 4 pins. Each of these black boxes have a number on them, that refer to the Map setting descripted in your manual. They are bit like jump pins on a computer's motherboard. You select the Map via which pins are jumpered and not jumpered. I run number 65 in my off-road truck.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Ok... was way off on that one.. Sorrry... you are not asking about the 7.1 speedo.

The maps you are talking about is just that the recommed settings for each of the three that you can program (punch, init brake and drag brake), as I understand it, accessing to a "map" is not in the ESC, only the recommened settings. That is how the "fast" guy at my track explained..

I have mine sent to 2 for punch, 0 for init brake, and 0 for drag brake. Remember this is for stock motor. For my 19t motor, I run 2 on the init brake, just because of the bearing in the motor, vs the bushing in a stock motor. Our track is short and tight, so not much difference on a 5 min run between stock and mod motors. In fact the fast setup for mod is a stock motor with bearings installed. Not a mod motor....
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply - sorry I haven't been back to the forum for a few days.

So do you mean using setting 1 for both punch and initial brake for map 1 (low grip), 2 for each form map 2 (off road) etc with the neutral/automatic brake being down to personal preference?

Thats what I am going to try on the carpet tomorrow.....
Old 10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

That's correct...