Search

Begginer to RC, Which Brands to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeePee00
Amain carries redcat just fyi
That tells me that Amain now carries both quality brands and JUNK. Just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi,
IMO if you are starting up, you should buy an electric car. Much easier to maintain, and you don't have to buy fuel for it. My friend bought a ECX Torment, which comes with a spektrum radio and NiMH battery+fast charger. In Australia it cost $250 so it would be around $170 in america if that's where you live. Otherwise you could get something like a traxxas slash which would also suit your purpose.
Aston177
Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Your budget is way to low for nitro. I know there are budget routes you can take but it's impossible to go nitro at that budget even with a good eBay deal electric might be more reasonable but even that your best bet is to check out e bay but even than I don't think so.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racer1812
That tells me that Amain now carries both quality brands and JUNK. Just my opinion.
I have read a lot of reviews and watched tons of videos on them. They look like a decent vehicle for the price. If you're looking to just bash and have fun but don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd say go redcat. Now I have heard some people have had issues with them but that can happen even to the high dollar cars. I say just do research and if it fits your needs get it. I'm actually going to get the caldera sc and will post a review on here when I have had some run time with it.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

I know this is an old thread, but for information sake the best thing to do is start with a major brand like Traxxas, HPI, Associated, Kyosho, etc. Getting a nitro for you first hobby grade RC is not a bad idea. I started on electric, but several friends of mine started on nitro with no real issues. Don't be intimidated by it, it just takes patience to tune them properly. If you don't have patience, then this is not the hobby for you no matter if you buy electric or nitro. Aside from that, its essentially the same as an electric. They both have problems that can arise and will both require some maintenance. The tuning is really the only major difference. If you want nitro, then buy nitro. If you don't care, then I'd say go electric. The cost ends up being about the same initially as you need batteries and a decent peak charger to start with. Most electrics now days come with a battery and a wall charger, but they take forever to charge and you will want more than one battery unless you like to sit and watch batteries charge between runs.

The only important thing for a first truck in my opinion is to buy a major brand, and buy something smaller and simple like a stadium truck. Two wheel drive only is preferable as it cuts down on the number of parts in the truck that can break and is generally much easier to take apart than a 4x4 monster truck or buggy. Stadium trucks are also very light, making them more nimble and forgiving in the handling department and they take hits better when you run into things as compared to say an HPI Savage or Trassas Maxx truck. The truck's weight alone adds so much momentum, a 20 mph crash into a fence post on a stock T Maxx will lead to breakage almost definitely, but a Nitro Rustler at the same speed has a better chance of driving away un harmed.

I'd recommend a Traxxas Nitro Sport for a cheaper starter nitro, a Traxxas Nitro Rustler or Traxxas Nitro Stampede for the more expensive options. An HPI Firestorm 10t, or HPI Bullet ST would be good options too, but I'd go with Traxxas personally for the parts availability. For a cheaper electric from Traxxas there is the Bandit, Rustler, Slash, and Stampede. Higher priced Traxxas options are the brushless VXL versions of those trucks except for the Bandit. From HPI there is the E Firestorm 10t Flux and the Bullet ST Flux, and the Blitz.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Maxximize, new to the RC game, but starting to experience the problems of buying a not so common car. Parts and info seeming hard to come buy out side of the dealer I bought it off.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi. New to the nitro scene myself. I bought 2 red cats, caldera 3.0 and a earthquake 3.5. Only prob i had with my earthquake is screws and stuff came loose and parts fell off. After a bunch of locktight and some super glue, it holds together pretty good and lots of power. Once the bugs were worked out, I'm pretty happy with it.