Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Begginer to RC, Which Brands to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Don't buy redcat or exceed.

Traxxas all they way they cost a pretty penny but worth it. Very durable and easy to do a maintence work on it. Parts are cheap also. But the cars/ trucks cost $$$

Hpi is good they been around a while now very well known and recommended.

Kyosho is good but getting parts cost. $$$ and are sometimes hard to get.

There's also team assosiated this will cost you a lot as most of their cars or trucks etc that are really good are kits which don't even come with a motor or engine or electronics at all .
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

STAY AWAY FROM INTEGY!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
buy RTR starting out, it makes getting everything together so much easier, and you can grow from it, and not have to pull your hair out wondering if things will actually work together.
Do this for your first ever r/c.
After that only buy kits.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Personally Ive had Traxxas, Associated, HPI, and redcat and I will say from my person experience that my HPI bullet nitro would not stay together to save my life. My traxxas trucks reguardless of what people say will take a beating and beg for more plus part support is at almost every hobby shop. No my redcat wasn't nitro it was a caldera10e...The truck is fun! I loved it but the one thing I hated was the stock rtr tires. they were soooooo stiff there was no movement in the tires what so ever. but replaced them with trenchers and it rocked. only broke the body and I also own 2 other redcats. A 24th scale sumo and a drift epx. The sumo...very frail...the drifter is AMAZING! I love it and for 120 shipped to me I couldn't complain one bit!

Not sure if it helps or not but that's just my personal experience but hey! Welcome to the nitro world!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Buy a second hand roller(cheapest you can find hpi,traxxas,or tamiya)and then buy new elecs or motor in good cond thats what ive aways done especially when some rtrs are $300 plus ridiculous.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 AM
Tech Rookie

I definitely agree with everyone about exceed sucking I currently have a 1/10 sc from them and it seems like I'm running to the store to buy new parts for it I thought it would be alot cheeper to buy exceed but with all the money I've spent in parts I could've bought a losi or hpi three times over and about the only place to get exceed parts is to order them I would defiantly go buy the slash its the best for what your budget will allow
Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

If your heart is not absolutely set on Nitro I would start with electric.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Suspended

traxxas may be ok for you
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

best bet stick with main stream brands losi,associated,mugen. Good advice if a main doesn't carry it stay the heck away from it. I'm not new to rc's and I have never heard of redcat or others oh yeah and radioshack is junk. Find a good local hobby shop if you can and they should steer you right. Also traxxas not for me save your money personally same for hpi.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

are you opposed to buying something used? if not, there are some great deals to be had out there. I got a rtr kyosho dbx 2.0 for 50 bucks

and as others have said, electric is much easier to start with, unless you have prior experience tuning carbs.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guys I don't think he's even responding to this thread anymore.lol
Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Basically check out Amain and Tower Hobbies. If they don't have a brand there, its crap.
ZD racing a great brand that is cheap and is carried by MRC/Team Academy.

It's not carried at TH or Amain
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

On the other side of the scale, the most strongest mid priced car I have found to be so far is the Tamiya TA05.

I have only ever broken one part on it (a rear plastic toe block).

Its a tank!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Amain carries redcat just fyi
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree...I think he's moved on from the thread

But I was going to toss in earlier that nitro is beyond the capability of a new driver...tuning those is a headache. It was for me at least. I got so sick of it that I abandoned the hobby ten years ago and recently came back to find that ebuggy was in existence (LIPO wasn't around last time I was into this). I love what LIPOs have done for the hobby. Also...I also would have to agree that a used RTR from a reputable source is the way to go (and get a model that's used by most of the locals).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.