Search
Like Tree1Likes

how does a 2 speed transmission work

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
With that reasoning, RC Tech should not exist at all. Certainly all other questions on here have been answered elsewhere. Hobbytalk, RC Universe, etc. Why have this forum exist in the first place?

The point you are missing obviously, is this: "I have an r/c question. Oh, look! Here's a forum called RC Tech! I'm sure they can answer it."

Does that not compute with you at all?
I understand it, and I encourage question asking, really I do. sometimes RCTECH might not be the best place to look for the answers though. If I have a RC related question I will always go through google searches first, and can usually find the answer explained in much better detail that one could get from a post on rctech. for example, nobody has yet to give a very good answer to how a 2speed actually functions, sure diagrams and pictures are great, but the google link provided a much more clear explanation of the actual function of the parts.

Im not saying "oh take all your questions elsewhere, RCtech is the new DMZ for rc related questions" but if it is already answered elsewhere? why bring it up just to get the same answer, or one close to it? you make it sound like Im going to bar rctech from any and all questions, and thats not what I'm trying to do.

you also talk about post whoring (whatever that is) and you say to butt out unless you can provide an answer. this is a community discussion, and so I can be here if I want to be, and i did provide an answer and a simple explanation of the picture. By your own logic then why are you here? , for you have not given an answer to the original question, or been constructive to the conversation in any way. you just have kept going on about how my answer is so terrible, and that my nice suggestions to use a world renown search engine is in some way bad? seriously... i suggest google and you blow it up way out of proportion. the OP asked a question and I provided a very good answer. It might not have been direct, or up to your standards, and he might have had to do a little work to get there, but he would end up with exactly what he is looking for.

what doesn't compute with me is why you have become so upset over something so petty... Im sorry if I have offended you in any way, really. Im here to build, help, and learn, as I'm sure most of the other members are as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why don't you google post whore?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=post+whore
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A better approach would have been:

"I had the same question and found a site that does a pretty good job at explaining it have a look: http://www.rctek.com/technical/trans...ny_design.html If it's still not clear come back and ask questions, guys on here are pretty well versed in this stuff."
Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have to agree to a point. I am tired of guys on forums who post (mostly nothings) one liners just to get their post count up. Like that silly chit actually means something!
Well, to anyone with any real sense it does mean something. It shows you that the guy is a geek and has no other life. Probably still living home with mommy at age 62. Pathetic
Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EricW
A better approach would have been:

"I had the same question and found a site that does a pretty good job at explaining it have a look: http://www.rctek.com/technical/trans...ny_design.html If it's still not clear come back and ask questions, guys on here are pretty well versed in this stuff."
I see that now, and I do think I should have worded it more like what you have said, for that I am sorry.
Originally Posted by Redbone311
I have to agree to a point. I am tired of guys on forums who post (mostly nothings) one liners just to get their post count up. Like that silly chit actually means something!
Well, to anyone with any real sense it does mean something. It shows you that the guy is a geek and has no other life. Probably still living home with mommy at age 62. Pathetic
I believe you are referring to me?

The use of insults and put downs in this or any situation by anyone shows a lack of respect and human decency to their peers (as we are all equal on this site sans mods and administrative staff). There Is dissagreeing with somebody, and then there is beating them down for their mistakes and differences. Under no circumstances is the latter acceptable. Ever. There are so many other ways to express yourself other than insults or aggression. So to anybody guilty, and at times that one has been me, please just knock it off.

I do see what I could have done better, and I thank those who tryed to show me how I could improve. I am sorry if I have upset anybody in this instance.
vbshredder likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I see that now, and I do think I should have worded it more like what you have said, for that I am sorry.

I believe you are referring to me?

The use of insults and put downs in this or any situation by anyone shows a lack of respect and human decency to their peers (as we are all equal on this site sans mods and administrative staff). There Is dissagreeing with somebody, and then there is beating them down for their mistakes and differences. Under no circumstances is the latter acceptable. Ever. There are so many other ways to express yourself other than insults or aggression. So to anybody guilty, and at times that one has been me, please just knock it off.

I do see what I could have done better, and I thank those who tryed to show me how I could improve. I am sorry if I have upset anybody in this instance.
No Panda, I was NOT referring to you in any way. I have not been on here long enough to have seen your posts and have any knowledge of you or your posts. And I was certainly not going to judge based upon just one posting.
Just talking about the topic of BS posting that was brought up in the thread.
I was thinking of another forum actually - Archery Talk - where one guy does tons of 3 and 4 word line posts which say a lot of nothing just to have a huge post count. Look it up if you'd like..... guy is Unk Bond.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Redbone311
No Panda, I was NOT referring to you in any way. I have not been on here long enough to have seen your posts and have any knowledge of you or your posts. And I was certainly not going to judge based upon just one posting.
Just talking about the topic of BS posting that was brought up in the thread.
I was thinking of another forum actually - Archery Talk - where one guy does tons of 3 and 4 word line posts which say a lot of nothing just to have a huge post count. Look it up if you'd like..... guy is Unk Bond.
I am so sorry I assumed that then. Im not on here to hurt anybody.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
well on my old serpent it worked by centrifugal force. once the rpm's reached greater than the spring force holding the two shoes together in the two speed gear setup, the shoes were forced out to the outer spur gear ring allowing the car to increase speed overriding the first gear limit.
the shoe's springs were adjustable allowing it to hold out first gear longer or "shifting" sooner.
this is pretty much how a centax clutch system works too. but a slightly different setup.

here's a picture of it and you can get a real good idea how it works by looking at it knowing what I said. it also looks like it has a one way bearing to make it work. not 100% sure that's what it is or if it has to have it. but it sure looks like a one way bearing in there.

You are correct, there is a oneway bearing that allows the first gear to bite, while 1st gear is "on drive" the 2nd speed drum and spur free-spins on it's bearing becuase the 2nd speed shoe is not yet engaged.

When the transaxle spins in 1st gear up to the RPM governed by the spring tension on the 2speed clutch shoe, the 2speed shoe expands and bites the drum, the oneway bearing that was driving the car now allows 1st gear Spur/pinion to slip and permit the 1st to freespin and not impact the higher ratio set by 2nd gear and the transaxle.

If the oneway bearing is dirty or seizes, when you engage second gear the first gear will pull down the RPM of the transaxle and disengage the 2nd speed shoe. You'll often hear the 2speed engaging and disengaging when this happens and you will likely strip a spur gear if you dont remedy the problem.