Search

conversion kit from Slide carb to Rotary

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry conversion kit from Slide carb to Rotary

hello all i am new here.
i need and advise.

I have HPI ligtening GT 10 truck.. it had an slide carb engine. i bought new engine but this have rotary carb.

is there conversion kit for to fix this engine or anything else i can do?

i really need help here
Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

what engine. if it came with a rotary carb, then why not just run the rotary carb?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

yea it comes with rotary carb.. but my truck is designed for slide carb. means slide carb linkage. it wont fix
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

can you change the linkage end? try just putting the slide carb on the new engine.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Rookie

slid carb do not fix on the new egine

i cant even post pics here cuz it says i dont have required # of pots
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

If it wont fit it wont fit. That is the one part that needs to fit well.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Looking at a few pictures of that truck, I think you'll need to retrofit a slide carb on the neew engine, or get a different engine altogether. The servo is too far away from the engine to properly set up a suitable linkage to operate a rotary carb.

What type of engine did you buy to replace the old one? Maybe someone might know of a slide carburetor that would fit on the new engine.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Looking at a few pictures of that truck, I think you'll need to retrofit a slide carb on the neew engine, or get a different engine altogether. The servo is too far away from the engine to properly set up a suitable linkage to operate a rotary carb.

What type of engine did you buy to replace the old one? Maybe someone might know of a slide carburetor that would fit on the new engine.
I bought Team Associated AE .18 SG crankshaft Engine. MPN# 2918

btw, what u meant by retrofit? can u please give me a link what i need to buy?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

You'd need to find an appropriately sized carburetor (one designed for a .15/18 size engine) that fits properly to replace the rotary carb. Associated doesn't sell a slide carb that fits that engine, so a carb from a different engine manufacturer might fit...

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with the "trial and error" process of finding a carb that will work. Your best bet might be returning the engine, and buying one that's better suited to your application.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
You'd need to find an appropriately sized carburetor (one designed for a .15/18 size engine) that fits properly to replace the rotary carb. Associated doesn't sell a slide carb that fits that engine, so a carb from a different engine manufacturer might fit...

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with the "trial and error" process of finding a carb that will work. Your best bet might be returning the engine, and buying one that's better suited to your application.

trial and error is the real RC fun i guess, can u advise me any good vendor who sells slide carbs that would fix ma engine
Old 03-19-2014, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Your best bet would be to contact Associated, and see what they recommend. Unless you've had a lot of experience with nitro engines, replacing a carburetor with one built by another manufacturer isn't as straightforward as it seems. If the carburetor doesn't fit tightly into the engine block, vacuum leaks will prevent you from tuning the engine properly.

If you know someone or have a knowledgeable hobby shop near you that really knows nitro engines, I'd ask for their advice (and for a look through their used nitro parts bin ); otherwise, I'd strongly recommend that you find an appropriate engine that comes with the carburetor you'd need. Finding the right engine will probably prove to be far easier than making this one work.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Carbs aren't cheap either. Trial and error with this part might be expensive.