Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helion Volition spur gear struggles

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Helion Volition spur gear struggles

I just bought this truck for my girl friend less than a week ago. I am not new to rc cars so I do have a good grasp on most things. This truck is 2wd and has a brushed motor on it. For what it is its pretty fast. She is having troubles (meaning I am having troubles lol) with the spur gear chipping. I would not call it stripping the gear because only a few teeth are broken. I believe it is because of jumping it. The motor is in the back and I think it sometimes pushes the pinion gear into the spur gear chipping it. I have gone through 2 gears in 3 days of driving. I would like to be able to keep jumping the car. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I have set the gear mesh correctly both times.

Thanks
Brandon
Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

is the slipper set to tight?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I thought that as well but if i back it off it results in no or little power. What i did earlier was push the pinion up againist the spur, leaving now room, and thus far it has worked. So not setting the gear mesh seemed to work. Ill see how it works the rest of the week. Thanks for the suggestion tho
Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I can't imagine anything flexing enough during jumping that would squeeze the pinion and spur together.

Assuming that you have the mesh correctly set, I would double check the motor screws and make sure that the motor is super tight with no movement. Triple check that the pinion and spur are both angled correctly with no wobble during acceleration.

I assume the ESC is functioning correctly and doesn't allow immediate forward to reverse shifting. That would surely clip a tooth off.

It sounds strange. I visit my local HobbyTown all of the time and I've never heard of any problems like this one. Now, the Helion Dominus is a whole different story....