Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Always follow safety precautions with nitro! >

Always follow safety precautions with nitro!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always follow safety precautions with nitro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Always follow safety precautions with nitro!

I'm sure a lot of people in the nitro scene regularly get nitro/methanol/oils/etc on their hands and don't think much about it.
We all deal with the noxious exhaust fumes, and don't really worry as long as we're outdoors or in a well ventilated indoor area (if you do run your exhaust in a small non-ventilated room, wake up, and whatever you do, don't lie on the floor where all the breathable air will have been displaced from...).

Even though drinking 1/4 of a shotglass of methanol can kill or blind you, we don't really care about minor spills, because who is dumb enough to drink the stuff, right!?

Well, just a reminder, even though it's rare for problems to occur, do be careful!
I just discovered (the hard way) that if you get any microscopic amount of nitromethane into your blood, you can instantly develop a severe allergy to the stuff.
What happened was that I spilled a few drops on my foot - I kept working on the car for 15 mins, then washed it off with a heap of water. No big deal right? I've come into contact with the fuel heaps of times with no harm done!

Later that day, I got a tiny scratch on my foot that broke the skin.
A week after that, I was in the hospital.

Do not go to this URL if you have a weak stomach - it's a photo diary of my last 4 days in hospital!
imgur.com/a/UI5oL

The results of these tiny accidents -- first the tiny spill, then washing with just water (not water + detergent) and then the tiny scratch -- was 4 days in hospital.

Don't take this the wrong way of course! I'm not bashing nitro! Despite now having an allergy to nitromethane, I'm not going to give up this great hobby, or sell or my stuff and switch entirely to LiPo/etc (which also has saftey precautions you should follow to protect your home/property)... I'm just going to have to buy some good gloves!

But for everyone else -- follow serious safety precautions, even if it seems like it's not a very big deal.

Last edited by ActionMan; 01-21-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: removed choice words
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Might wanna edit out a choice word. Sorry you had to go through that though. Looked Painful.