Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy to start off

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile Buggy to start off

Hi I'm trying to get a good idea where to start racing and I'm looking for a 2WD buggy.

I guess starting out I want something cheaper that I can expand on as I get more into the sport and learn more about the car.

I wanted to get a kit but are probably a bit more expensive at the moment to start off (only because I'm impatient and want to get on track now and don't want to save). It seems the RTR option is my go and I've been looking at the DEX210 RTR.

Is this a good place to start? It seems I can upgrade all parts to the DEX210 over time which sounds good. I know being RTR the quality won't be good but even if I buy that with some cheaper add ons is my thought.

Would it be best to invest in a better transmitter that comes with the RTR?

Lastly, my other option is to get a Tamiya kit since they are cheaper....or is this a no go these days for racing?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Any particular reason you want 2wd? 4wd is much better and far more standard these days
Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The Durango DEX210 RTR is a good place to start. The only differences between the RTR and the kit is the chassis, diff type, and MM parts.

The RTR comes with the composite +8 DIMEC chassis, gear diff, and no MM parts.

The kit comes with an aluminum chassis, ball diff, and comes with MM parts.

You'll need a battery and a charger also. A friend of mine bought the SC RTR and immediately upgraded the radio. The standard radio only has trim settings. He upgraded to the Flysky GT3C. Perfect for him. Entry level but has Dual Rate/EPA/Expo.

Nothing wrong with the Tamiya kits but if you're actually going to be at a track more and racing, the Durango may be a better choice.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by saabmania2
Any particular reason you want 2wd? 4wd is much better and far more standard these days
I disagree with this. 4wd may be easier to drive but it's much more of an expert class at the tracks I go to.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe I haven't raced a 2wd since the 80's my local track doesn't even have a class for them to enter, but I used to hate 2WD and found 4wd much more drivable and easier to control.
Maybe it's me, but it's just my opinion
Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by saabmania2
Yeah just had been the opinion I had heard that 2wd was a better place to start.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think the big thing is what kind of budget do you have? Are you set on 1/10 or would you consider 1/8? I have been absent from the sport for 20 years and started out with a little evader to get the hang of things again. Immediately after that I purchased an 1/8 rc8.2e RTR. I can still upgrade and learn new things with this. Not to say that you have to run 1/8 but durability is still there with RTR kits.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng
I think the big thing is what kind of budget do you have? Are you set on 1/10 or would you consider 1/8? I have been absent from the sport for 20 years and started out with a little evader to get the hang of things again. Immediately after that I purchased an 1/8 rc8.2e RTR. I can still upgrade and learn new things with this. Not to say that you have to run 1/8 but durability is still there with RTR kits.
Budget is only a factor just starting out since I want to start asap rather than wait 6 months to save up. I guess that's why with the Durango DEX210 I can upgrade parts over time.

Only downside I guess is I really wanted to build it, but I might just buy a shell so I can at least do a custom paint job.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

if you want to race, don't get the rtr. the motor won't fit in either 17.5 stock.. or mod, which uses 7.5-10.5 turn motors. You will be dumping money into a motor and servo to start with.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Well your better of just getting the kit then. If I could I would have done so myself, but I was impatient like you and wanted to at least be bashing. I will probably just purchase a kit during tax time and build from bottom up. That will be strictly for racing.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThePanda
if you want to race, don't get the rtr. the motor won't fit in either 17.5 stock.. or mod, which uses 7.5-10.5 turn motors. You will be dumping money into a motor and servo to start with.
That really depends on the track. Rookie for example doesn't tend to limit.

The Durango RTR's are really close to the kit though. It's not really gimped.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

I think the same for my RC8.2 rtr it's upgradeable to the FT version minus the chassis. It won't be an exact match unless I want it to be,but that would be pointless. I think I liked the RTR because I get the best of both worlds. I can learn and race at the same time. I am not trying to be a world champion or anything like that. I just want to have fun with it.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I think it comes with a 13.5...so is that not stock? I don't really attend on winning races at this point, as long as I'm not too bad it's fine. I did read about upgrading the servo and I would attend to upgrade the engine within time if it can accommodate it.

I guess the difference for me at this point is dishing out $850 AUD odd to for the kit versus $450 odd for the RTR to at least get me started to build from just sounds better with the ability to add pro parts as I get better or $$ comes to hand.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng
I think the same for my RC8.2 rtr it's upgradeable to the FT version minus the chassis. It won't be an exact match unless I want it to be,but that would be pointless. I think I liked the RTR because I get the best of both worlds. I can learn and race at the same time. I am not trying to be a world champion or anything like that. I just want to have fun with it.
Yep exactly where I'm coming from.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Your Right Team Durango DEX210 RTR Is The Way To Go Or Even The DESC210 RTR With Optional Exotek Upgrades Available Good Truck You Wont Regret It

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.