Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Servo Question >

Servo Question

Servo Question

Old 08-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Servo Question

I'm a rookie and this is a stupid question but bare with me.
I want to know the difference between High torque servos and High speed servos. which are better and worth the money. I am looking for a servo that turns fast! I don't like the speed of my stock servo. does that mean i should get a high speed servo? but then what about high torque! confused here! please help.
thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

high torque is mostly used on 1/8th scale and nitro cars....high speed is best for 1/10th touring
Old 08-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

ok Thanks. i was just wondering. so do you think i should use a high speed servo on a HPI Pro 3?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, high speed is definately the way to go for 1/10 scale electric, as the load applied to the servo isn't nearly as high as that on a larger, heavier car.

If you can afford it, a digital servo is a great investment. Digital servos are unmatched for centering ability, that is, they always center perfectly.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, high speed is for cars and race trucks (witch dont require a lot of torq). Like lets say for instance, The T-maxx, you would need torq, cuz the T-Maxx has big tires and a lot of work is done. Now if you have a touring car get speed, cuz you have small tires and no real work is needed by the servo. Torq servos are run anywhere from $50- $100. Speed servos are about the same. The torq servos have about the speed as a stock servo. There are servos out there that have both Torq and speed. JR has em, Airtronics,Futaba but there prices are around $150-$170. That should solve your problem.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 AM
Tech Initiate

If speed is what you want get a KO Propo FET servo. The PDS-2123 FET Power Digital Servo to be exact. It's awsome...I got it for $104.00 at a Local Hobby Shop here in AZ. The servo speed is 0.06 and the torque is good as well.

Specs:

High Speed Digital Type  Metal Gears  55.0g  38x41x20mm
 Torque / 9.5kg-cm  Speed / 0.06s / 60°  Double Bearings, Coreless Motor Supply Voltage 7.2V

http://www.kopropo.co.uk/index2.htm
Old 08-23-2002, 02:39 AM
Tech Initiate

If speed is what you want get a KO Propo FET servo. The PDS-2123 FET Power Digital Servo to be exact. It's awsome...I got it for $104.00 at a Local Hobby Shop here in AZ. The servo speed is 0.06 and the torque is good as well.

Specs:

High Speed Digital Type  Metal Gears  55.0g  38x41x20mm
 Torque / 9.5kg-cm  Speed / 0.06s / 60°  Double Bearings, Coreless Motor Supply Voltage 7.2V

http://www.kopropo.co.uk/index2.htm
Old 08-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Well agent you still got to keep in mind that Neo is a rookie.A FET servo would not work that good for him. All he needs is something like a JR, Hitec,KO,Futaba etc. Not really a FET servo, FET servos require there own power source and depending on the esc soem have the external wire,some don't. So if he was running a Novak C2 ESC(Neo bein the rookie he is)would have to wire the servo to the battery.I dont really like FET servos cuz there power is great but why go through all thr hassle of dealin with taking off another wire from ur battery.It sucks much needed voltage,You have to okie rig the servo to the battery, I see no since for a rookie to run a FET servo.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:41 AM
Tech Initiate

It was just a suggestion. I see many "rookie" guys buy a mid range servo (ie $65) then a few months down the road they end up spending the 100 or so dollars on a faster higher torque servo. It's kinda like when they buy an new LRP sport and then buy a Quantum later. Or buy a TC3 RTR and spend more money buying hop-ups to try and make it like a Factory Team. You just end up spending more money that you need to. And you don't have to wire the FET servo directly to the battery. Just cut off some of the shrink wrap on the red positive battery (from the ESC) lead and solder the FET wire there. That way there are no extra wire(s) to solder on/off when you change batteries.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Hrm, Thats a good idea. Never thought of that, wiring it to the esc.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Try a futaba 9304 in that pro 3. I have on in my ta04 and it works nicely. I love it and lets just say i wont be wanting a new servo soon. its pretty cheap too, look on towerhobbies.com
Old 08-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Futaba is a good bang for ur buck. If your running offroad I suggest that you get a metal gear cuz the plastic break a little too ez.It might cost and weigh a little more but u get ur money's worth
Old 08-29-2002, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi all...
i race an electric and im in the market for a new servo...but Im on a limited budget...I heard that the Hitec servos are extremely good value....has anyone used them before and if so..what models do you recommend?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=HTS31605

$30 - 605BB High Speed; 91 oz/in at .13 sec.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

I use Hitec in all my 5 cars, there very awsome and durable servos. Get the speed one(off the top of my head I don't remember the number) but yes personally I think there the best Servos around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.