Wiki Posts
Search

Discharging

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Discharging

Well for some of you, you know that my ESC recently burned up. It's going to be a couple of weeks if not longer until I find a replacement motor and ESC. in the meantime I decided to store my lipo. Unfortunately, the Hyperion charger I have (eos0606i) does not have the store charge setting in it. Apparently I have the older version which sucks. I decided to just discharge the battery completely and then recharge it up to 60%. Does anyone know of a faster way to discharge the battery other than running it in the car? I am maxed out at 1A for this charger.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng
Well for some of you, you know that my ESC recently burned up. It's going to be a couple of weeks if not longer until I find a replacement motor and ESC. in the meantime I decided to store my lipo. Unfortunately, the Hyperion charger I have (eos0606i) does not have the store charge setting in it. Apparently I have the older version which sucks. I decided to just discharge the battery completely and then recharge it up to 60%. Does anyone know of a faster way to discharge the battery other than running it in the car? I am maxed out at 1A for this charger.
Do NOT discharge your battery till its empty, and then charge it. Simply charge it.. and run it for 7-8 minutes... then check the voltage. You want to store it somewhere around 7.2-7.6 volts (for a 2 cell). If its still a little high, run it for another minute. (3 cell is ~11 volts)

Last edited by Cpt.America; 01-06-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah the problem with that is I can not run it. My ESC fried yesterday and this is the only means to discharge the battery. I do have my evader brushless that could handle it, but I am waiting for diff bearings to come in. That's probably going to be another week at least.
Edit: Just stopped the discharge and started to charge it again and it was reading a little over 11v. This thing sat discharging for 3 hours. Am I not reading that correctly or did it only drop one volt in that time frame?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng
Yeah the problem with that is I can not run it. My ESC fried yesterday and this is the only means to discharge the battery. I do have my evader brushless that could handle it, but I am waiting for diff bearings to come in. That's probably going to be another week at least.
Edit: Just stopped the discharge and started to charge it again and it was reading a little over 11v. This thing sat discharging for 3 hours. Am I not reading that correctly or did it only drop one volt in that time frame?
what was it at?

you could use a bulb discharger. Hook it up to a few lightbulbs, that can take the power of the battery. You just have to not forget it
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

discharge to 3.6-3.8 volts per cell.
So if your just over 11 volts on a 3S battery your are fine for storage.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
what was it at?

you could use a bulb discharger. Hook it up to a few lightbulbs, that can take the power of the battery. You just have to not forget it
Yeah I seen a guy on YouTube doing this with turnigy batteries. Didn't think about it, but don't think I am going to go that far.

Originally Posted by orangutanracer
discharge to 3.6-3.8 volts per cell.
So if your just over 11 volts on a 3S battery your are fine for storage.
So if you could show your work on how you obtained those numbers that would be great. Still getting all the number crunching down. Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There really isn't work to be shown. It is battery manufacturer instructions/guidelines for use of Li-Po batteries.

Do not over charge your battery. Do not charge beyond 4.2 v per cell maximum.
Do not discharge below 3.2v per cell.
store between 3.6-3.8v per cell.

All you do is multiply those voltages by the number of cells your battery has.
In your case it is 3s (3 cells)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

3.7 is optimimun storage voltage per cell.

So a 3s Lipo should be stored at 11.1, A fully charged 3s Lipo should be 12.6 (Im 99% sure havent used a 3s in a while)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Seether

So a 3s Lipo should be stored at 11.1, A fully charged 3s Lipo should be 12.6 (Im 99% sure havent used a 3s in a while)
This is what i store my lipos at... 7.4v
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
This is what i store my lipos at... 7.4v
for a 2s lipo of course though. (3.7)(2)= 7.4 or for a 3s (3.7)(3)=11.1
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Does your charger allow for an adjustable discharge voltage setting? If so just turn it up and use discharge. Or watch it manually, as you've noted it won't be very fast, shouldn't be too hard to catch as long as you don't forget it.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
for a 2s lipo of course though. (3.7)(2)= 7.4 or for a 3s (3.7)(3)=11.1
Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by orangutanracer
There really isn't work to be shown. It is battery manufacturer instructions/guidelines for use of Li-Po batteries.

Do not over charge your battery. Do not charge beyond 4.2 v per cell maximum.
Do not discharge below 3.2v per cell.
store between 3.6-3.8v per cell.

All you do is multiply those voltages by the number of cells your battery has.
In your case it is 3s (3 cells)
Honestly after I posted that I thought about it some more I realized the simplicity of it with cell count and voltage. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by Seether

Your correct it was at a little over 12v when I started the discharge last night.

Originally Posted by Dave H
Does your charger allow for an adjustable discharge voltage setting? If so just turn it up and use discharge. Or watch it manually, as you've noted it won't be very fast, shouldn't be too hard to catch as long as you don't forget it.
Yeah that's what I did just wasn't looking at the right numbers.