Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Mod for my kids toy rc >

Mod for my kids toy rc

Mod for my kids toy rc

Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mod for my kids toy rc

Hi all, I picked up one of these 'new bright scorpion' r/c's from target for my 3 and 4yo. They were on clearance for 35$ and worth it for their first rc.. My only issue is the transmitter and its unusually low 3v battery supply which uses 2xAA.

My question is, does anybody know what the max rating is for the PCB? The IC inside the controller seems to be propritary labeled with 'newbright' and cannot search a datasheet to find its maximum values.

I would like to install a charge port and run a li-ion 18650 to run the transmitter. Worst case scenario I will just add a voltage regulator set to 3v but figured id check if anybody had put 4.2v into one of these with no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Theres no antenna on this thing, only a wire tucked away in the handle which is essentially covered by the operators hand lol. Im simply looking to make a few mods to clean up where the designers failed.

Cheers.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Well not much is known about the new bright brand lol
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

To expand, unless you really can find some data straight from the mfg, there's probably nobody on here anymore familiar with the toy-grade stuff, especially at the level of detail you're asking for, than you are already right now. Good luck with your search.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I kinda figured there wouldnt be too much on these.. I have had many r/c's since back in the 80's and am well versed in many respects.. However, I dont want to put 2 cars together for my toddlers to learn on. It would get expensive fast lol.

Well I guess for anybody who stumbles across this thread I can offer the few things ive changed on the car I have here which is as follows:

-Get some wire and make an antenna for the remote! The stock transmitter has a tiny wire inside and its placement has the signal being absorbed into yhe users hand.

-Remove and replace the stock ant wire on the car and extend it out and past the body. The range is already fairly short and because of this, there is an awful delay in throttle response when the car is beyond 5ft or so from the user.

-A couple of lead fishing weights to weigh down the front end of the car. When you accelerate the car has a very hard time steering as the little weight on the stock setup has the front lifting and no traction to steer. This is more of an issue when using indoors.

-A simple lm317 voltage regulator added to the remote. There is plenty of room for 2x 18650 in the base of the transmitter. Wire in series for 8.4v which the regulator is then setup to replace the stock 2xAA and supply a steady 3v.

A note on the stock batteries for the transmitter. The AA's measure 1.6v so 3.2v is okay, not sure if a fully charged li-ion at 4.2v would be too much though. One other possible solution would be to use a single 3.6v li-ion and a diode to drop off .8v. Again, the use of a single li-ion and diode is untested, so use at your own risk. As is, do not exceed 3.2v to the input of the transmitter.

I would highly recommend these cars for beginners.. They take a good beating and keep on going
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You could pick up a couple of the mini scales, shouldn't be too much mooney in the end. check out dromida. They have some cars that are about 100 each.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
You could pick up a couple of the mini scales, shouldn't be too much mooney in the end. check out dromida. They have some cars that are about 100 each.
I was thinking the same thing about dromida. Tower has them for $100. Not sure how old your kids are but mine I didn't bother so much with building like you said because my boy understands full throttle, no steering, and no brakes. Unless you count the wall or a curb as a brake . I"ll just wait a couple of years and give him my evader ext 2.4. Great DURABLE car.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng View Post
I was thinking the same thing about dromida. Tower has them for $100. Not sure how old your kids are but mine I didn't bother so much with building like you said because my boy understands full throttle, no steering, and no brakes. Unless you count the wall or a curb as a brake . I"ll just wait a couple of years and give him my evader ext 2.4. Great DURABLE car.
Well my daughter is 4 and son 3.. I got both these little buggies for 70$ plus tax. Came with li-ion battery packs, chargers, and controllers. The cars have a set up to 'pair' the controller so that up to 4 of these cars can be run with no interference from the others. So really they are perfect. The only thing is you cannot get any replacement parts.

I have an older OFNA buggy with 2 speed tranny and a .26, havent used it in years. Picked up 2 unknown chassis for smaller nitro on ebay and will be fixing those up once my 2 munchkins get in some driving time. My daughter is doing good with the control, my son however likes to watch his car hit the wall lol.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ModThis View Post
Well my daughter is 4 and son 3.. I got both these little buggies for 70$ plus tax. Came with li-ion battery packs, chargers, and controllers. The cars have a set up to 'pair' the controller so that up to 4 of these cars can be run with no interference from the others. So really they are perfect. The only thing is you cannot get any replacement parts.

I have an older OFNA buggy with 2 speed tranny and a .26, havent used it in years. Picked up 2 unknown chassis for smaller nitro on ebay and will be fixing those up once my 2 munchkins get in some driving time. My daughter is doing good with the control, my son however likes to watch his car hit the wall lol.
At least he is attempting to drive it. Mine does for 5 minutes then just decides push it like matchbox car. Gives me a good laugh and makes me feel better knowing its a cheap walmart car so if he destroys I won't be too upset.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by OneHundred%Ng View Post
At least he is attempting to drive it. Mine does for 5 minutes then just decides push it like matchbox car. Gives me a good laugh and makes me feel better knowing its a cheap walmart car so if he destroys I won't be too upset.
I look at it this way, my kids were born in a great time of technology... Far more advanced than my time (born in 75) and with this I try everything I can and see if their interests are peaked.

My daughter sits with me in my shop hooking up LED's to batteries, electric motors, cutting wire and just experimenting in her own way. It is an awesome sight to watch them just try new things.

Shes at the point where she will pick a battery pack, JST connectors and some gadgets to hook up to them over her own toys.. My philosophy is to show them as many different things as possible, and let them develop their own interests.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ModThis View Post
Thanks guys, I kinda figured there wouldnt be too much on these.. I have had many r/c's since back in the 80's and am well versed in many respects.. However, I dont want to put 2 cars together for my toddlers to learn on. It would get expensive fast lol.

Well I guess for anybody who stumbles across this thread I can offer the few things ive changed on the car I have here which is as follows:

-Get some wire and make an antenna for the remote! The stock transmitter has a tiny wire inside and its placement has the signal being absorbed into yhe users hand.

-Remove and replace the stock ant wire on the car and extend it out and past the body. The range is already fairly short and because of this, there is an awful delay in throttle response when the car is beyond 5ft or so from the user.

-A couple of lead fishing weights to weigh down the front end of the car. When you accelerate the car has a very hard time steering as the little weight on the stock setup has the front lifting and no traction to steer. This is more of an issue when using indoors.

-A simple lm317 voltage regulator added to the remote. There is plenty of room for 2x 18650 in the base of the transmitter. Wire in series for 8.4v which the regulator is then setup to replace the stock 2xAA and supply a steady 3v.

A note on the stock batteries for the transmitter. The AA's measure 1.6v so 3.2v is okay, not sure if a fully charged li-ion at 4.2v would be too much though. One other possible solution would be to use a single 3.6v li-ion and a diode to drop off .8v. Again, the use of a single li-ion and diode is untested, so use at your own risk. As is, do not exceed 3.2v to the input of the transmitter.

I would highly recommend these cars for beginners.. They take a good beating and keep on going
A single LiFe 3.3v sees to be the battery answer.

I wonder how long it's gonna take to convince the misses to get the Race Spec toys.

Enjoy it with the kids, I have!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 5 year old first RC was a Traxxas Slash. He has learned how to drive and fix it. When it breaks, parts are easy to get and when he needs help, he comes online (now 8 years) and people know what hes talking about and can help.

A RC you cant fix is a toy.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by blis View Post
A single LiFe 3.3v sees to be the battery answer.

I wonder how long it's gonna take to convince the misses to get the Race Spec toys.

Enjoy it with the kids, I have!
Kids are awesome.. Up until I had my own, it was not something that crossed my mind.
Once you have them, your whole world changes.. and for the better I might add

I have 4 cars im looking to fix up. 2 unknown chassis, 1 nitro and 2 electric
and my OFNA ultra with a 2 speed and a .26 dynamite which I did a
neat port job on a few years back. Thing chugs gas but is a power house.

Originally Posted by geejay View Post
My 5 year old first RC was a Traxxas Slash. He has learned how to drive and fix it. When it breaks, parts are easy to get and when he needs help, he comes online (now 8 years) and people know what hes talking about and can help.

A RC you cant fix is a toy.
I hear ya.. I learned at a young age stripping my toys then rebuilding them.
The one advantage I have is that no matter how much of a toy something is
I have 2 lathes and a mill, so there is not much I cannot fix
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I bought a New Bright Scorpion Pro for my son. It worked great for 2 weeks and then the steering stopped working. There's a little switch motor that seems to be the issue. This is a common issue in forums I've seen.

Manufacturers website says to contact hobby stores. I called 3 and they all laughed saying you can't get parts for New Bright.
I emailed the manufacturer and they said you can't get parts other than maybe on eBay. They are still manufacturing this product yet parts don't exist!?

DO NOT PURCHASE NEW BRIGHT PRODUCTS!