hey there

Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hey there

Hello everyone I'm a rookie here and would love some advice here on my track I built it in my back yard its small but looks to be perfect for 1\10 scale or maybe 1 or 2 1/8 scale cars.
Its 6ft wide, I used a box scraper and my tractor to help.

A little about the motivation in building this track......
I love rc, I have a few 2ch helis and a 4ch blade 120sr

I want to get into nitro cars, I have had a few electric cars and buggies over the years. Recently found out my father in law and good friend both have some 1\8th scale Nitro's and looks like I will be getting one over the holidays!!! :-). So with a new car needs somewhere to drive it

Any advice or comments is welcomed
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

I heard 1/8th is really expensive for maintenance parts and stuff but I'm not sure I think that would be wide enough.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Width is just fine, but what is the area of the track as expressed in length and width?

So the area of the whole infield.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like 10' wide lanes if your going to be trying to run multiple cars together. Just my opinion
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hacktrick
Hello everyone I'm a rookie here and would love some advice here on my track I built it in my back yard its small but looks to be perfect for 1\10 scale or maybe 1 or 2 1/8 scale cars.
Its 6ft wide, I used a box scraper and my tractor to help.

A little about the motivation in building this track......
I love rc, I have a few 2ch helis and a 4ch blade 120sr

I want to get into nitro cars, I have had a few electric cars and buggies over the years. Recently found out my father in law and good friend both have some 1\8th scale Nitro's and looks like I will be getting one over the holidays!!! :-). So with a new car needs somewhere to drive it

Any advice or comments is welcomed
A pure IFMAR 1/8th scale onroad car is too fast for anything but a race track (circuit) unless you are referring to GT class like a Kyosho inferno, these can be managed in a car park.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all for the feedback, I have been doing more research and talked to my local hobby shop and might end up going with a 1\10 scale 4wd electric buggy. It seems the smartest decision for me starting off and now a days the batteries last longer and you can get some good performance out of a brushless motor.

I'll post a picture off my track when I can next. The length is no where near racing standards its a small L shape which has been stressed by others that its would be good for 1/10th size off road rc.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all for the great feedback! I have been doing a ton of research and looking at a 1/14 or 1/12 scale. I am switching my role to electric it seems to be the smart decision for maintenance and those brushless motors with 3s lipo looks like the right way to go.
Attached Thumbnails hey there-track.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Thank you all for the great feedback! I have been doing a ton of research and looking at a 1/14 or 1/12 scale. I am switching my role to electric it seems to be the smart decision for maintenance and those brushless motors with 3s lipo looks like the right way to go.
Why not 1/10? It's the standard for track driving apart from 1/8. You might even have more people that are interested, and want to come out to race their cars, if they have a few.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice yard. Perfect for a track. Where's this at?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Why not 1/10? It's the standard for track driving apart from 1/8. You might even have more people that are interested, and want to come out to race their cars, if they have a few.
I was looking at 1/10 also, I still haven't decided what i really want.

Originally Posted by yonpds
Nice yard. Perfect for a track. Where's this at?
Im just outside of Fresno, California about 10 min.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i'd run my nitro 1/8th scale on that all day if i had that in my back yard! be great to break in engines on!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nickdawg18
i'd run my nitro 1/8th scale on that all day if i had that in my back yard! be great to break in engines on!
haha nice ya im looking more at smaller scale. but im sure it would still be fun with any scale

Well i found out what im going to get, Losi mini 8ight 1/14 scale drake edition.

i haven't got it yet but its coming, picked up some extra shocks and lipo batteries.

seems like a great starter.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

haha nice ya im looking more at smaller scale. but im sure it would still be fun with any scale

Well i found out what im going to get, Losi mini 8ight 1/14 scale drake edition.

i haven't got it yet but its coming, picked up some extra shocks and lipo batteries.

seems like a great starter.
Just be warned, the small plastic pieces are known to break on the mini 8. I don't know if they have fixed the problem or not. Maybe boiling would help?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice Panda, as you can tell i havent been hear for a while been out having to much fun with my Mini 8. It very durable and have to say i love it on 2s lipo. My track is perfect size for it and i havent broke anything yet. I have stripped a few spur gears