hey there

Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default hey there

Hello everyone I'm a rookie here and would love some advice here on my track I built it in my back yard its small but looks to be perfect for 1\10 scale or maybe 1 or 2 1/8 scale cars.
Its 6ft wide, I used a box scraper and my tractor to help.


A little about the motivation in building this track......
I love rc, I have a few 2ch helis and a 4ch blade 120sr

I want to get into nitro cars, I have had a few electric cars and buggies over the years. Recently found out my father in law and good friend both have some 1\8th scale Nitro's and looks like I will be getting one over the holidays!!! :-). So with a new car needs somewhere to drive it

Any advice or comments is welcomed
Hacktrick is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
  #2  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Default

I heard 1/8th is really expensive for maintenance parts and stuff but I'm not sure I think that would be wide enough.
prorcguy is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM
  #3  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,201
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Width is just fine, but what is the area of the track as expressed in length and width?

So the area of the whole infield.
ThePanda is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 PM
  #4  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
ReapeRacinG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I like 10' wide lanes if your going to be trying to run multiple cars together. Just my opinion
ReapeRacinG is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,478
Default

Originally Posted by Hacktrick
Hello everyone I'm a rookie here and would love some advice here on my track I built it in my back yard its small but looks to be perfect for 1\10 scale or maybe 1 or 2 1/8 scale cars.
Its 6ft wide, I used a box scraper and my tractor to help.


A little about the motivation in building this track......
I love rc, I have a few 2ch helis and a 4ch blade 120sr

I want to get into nitro cars, I have had a few electric cars and buggies over the years. Recently found out my father in law and good friend both have some 1\8th scale Nitro's and looks like I will be getting one over the holidays!!! :-). So with a new car needs somewhere to drive it

Any advice or comments is welcomed
A pure IFMAR 1/8th scale onroad car is too fast for anything but a race track (circuit) unless you are referring to GT class like a Kyosho inferno, these can be managed in a car park.
blis is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM
  #6  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thank you all for the feedback, I have been doing more research and talked to my local hobby shop and might end up going with a 1\10 scale 4wd electric buggy. It seems the smartest decision for me starting off and now a days the batteries last longer and you can get some good performance out of a brushless motor.

I'll post a picture off my track when I can next. The length is no where near racing standards its a small L shape which has been stressed by others that its would be good for 1/10th size off road rc.
Hacktrick is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
  #7  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thank you all for the great feedback! I have been doing a ton of research and looking at a 1/14 or 1/12 scale. I am switching my role to electric it seems to be the smart decision for maintenance and those brushless motors with 3s lipo looks like the right way to go.
Attached Thumbnails hey there-track.jpg  
Hacktrick is offline  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  #8  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,201
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hacktrick
Thank you all for the great feedback! I have been doing a ton of research and looking at a 1/14 or 1/12 scale. I am switching my role to electric it seems to be the smart decision for maintenance and those brushless motors with 3s lipo looks like the right way to go.
Why not 1/10? It's the standard for track driving apart from 1/8. You might even have more people that are interested, and want to come out to race their cars, if they have a few.
ThePanda is offline  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 158
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Nice yard. Perfect for a track. Where's this at?
yonpds is offline  
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  #10  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Why not 1/10? It's the standard for track driving apart from 1/8. You might even have more people that are interested, and want to come out to race their cars, if they have a few.
I was looking at 1/10 also, I still haven't decided what i really want.

Originally Posted by yonpds
Nice yard. Perfect for a track. Where's this at?
Im just outside of Fresno, California about 10 min.
Hacktrick is offline  
Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (33)
 
nickdawg18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

i'd run my nitro 1/8th scale on that all day if i had that in my back yard! be great to break in engines on!
nickdawg18 is offline  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
  #12  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nickdawg18
i'd run my nitro 1/8th scale on that all day if i had that in my back yard! be great to break in engines on!
haha nice ya im looking more at smaller scale. but im sure it would still be fun with any scale


Well i found out what im going to get, Losi mini 8ight 1/14 scale drake edition.

i haven't got it yet but its coming, picked up some extra shocks and lipo batteries.

seems like a great starter.
Hacktrick is offline  
Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM
  #13  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,201
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hacktrick
haha nice ya im looking more at smaller scale. but im sure it would still be fun with any scale


Well i found out what im going to get, Losi mini 8ight 1/14 scale drake edition.

i haven't got it yet but its coming, picked up some extra shocks and lipo batteries.

seems like a great starter.
Just be warned, the small plastic pieces are known to break on the mini 8. I don't know if they have fixed the problem or not. Maybe boiling would help?
ThePanda is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the advice Panda, as you can tell i havent been hear for a while been out having to much fun with my Mini 8. It very durable and have to say i love it on 2s lipo. My track is perfect size for it and i havent broke anything yet. I have stripped a few spur gears
Hacktrick is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.