Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
My buggy won't move from a standstill. >

My buggy won't move from a standstill.

My buggy won't move from a standstill.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default My buggy won't move from a standstill.

Hi,
rookie here. I have a 1/10th buggy and most of the time it won't move from a standstill. Most of the time I have to give a it a little bit of nudge before it can move.
Initially, I thought it could be the incorrect setup of my ball diff and hence I changed to a diff gear but the problem still persist. I also adjusted my spur and pinion numerous times. Even my slipper pad. In fact, I can't really setup my slipper pad properly as I can't even get the buggy to move while holding both rear tires.

Oh, I do like to add that when I do get the buggy to move, it really sounds smooth with no funny noises. It's just that I have to make sure I do not stop it to a standstill or I have to give it abit nudge again.

I really want to make this buggy work and am at wits' end. Please help.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

When it is stopped, is the motor turning but the car isn't moving or is the motor not turning at all?

If the motor is not running, have you tried a new sensor cable from your esc to your motor? Failing that, a different motor?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkdays
Hi,
rookie here. I have a 1/10th buggy and most of the time it won't move from a standstill. Most of the time I have to give a it a little bit of nudge before it can move.
Initially, I thought it could be the incorrect setup of my ball diff and hence I changed to a diff gear but the problem still persist. I also adjusted my spur and pinion numerous times. Even my slipper pad. In fact, I can't really setup my slipper pad properly as I can't even get the buggy to move while holding both rear tires.

Oh, I do like to add that when I do get the buggy to move, it really sounds smooth with no funny noises. It's just that I have to make sure I do not stop it to a standstill or I have to give it abit nudge again.

I really want to make this buggy work and am at wits' end. Please help.

Sounds like a sensor issue, could be a cable, could be more... what setup are you using for an ESC and motor? A sensored rig will have a real fit at low RPM (cogging) without proper sensor feedback from motor to ESC.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Bad/disconnected sensor cable or blown FETs in the ESC can cause this. If you are running a sensored setup, try replacing the sensor harness. $6 from your local hobby shop. Any brand will work. If that doesn't do it, I would try another ESC if you have one. Borrow one from a buddy or something to at least test.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by klaymon
Bad/disconnected sensor cable or blown FETs in the ESC can cause this. If you are running a sensored setup, try replacing the sensor harness. $6 from your local hobby shop. Any brand will work. If that doesn't do it, I would try another ESC if you have one. Borrow one from a buddy or something to at least test.

I am running a sensored setup, a brand new 13.5t brushless Hobbywing motor with Novak Havoc Sports ESC. The motor and sensored cable are new as I thought the previous one was cogging and contributing to my problem. However, the ESC is one I bought from someone online.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
When it is stopped, is the motor turning but the car isn't moving or is the motor not turning at all?

If the motor is not running, have you tried a new sensor cable from your esc to your motor? Failing that, a different motor?
Hmm, the motor isn't running at all hence it requires the nudge. Oh, there's isn't an issue if I were to hold it up while throttling it, only when it's under load.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am running a sensored setup, a brand new 13.5t brushless Hobbywing motor with Novak Havoc Sports ESC. The motor and sensored cable are new as I thought the previous one was cogging and contributing to my problem. However, the ESC is one I bought from someone online.
Some of the Novak Havoc's have to be used with a Novak motor or other one that has a thermal sensor (old thread but see third post here) so you might want to contact Novak and clarify if your version has that restriction.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

I could be way off, but I think I have heard of some Novak ESC's that do not play nice with some non-novak motors? I would assume that this being true at some point would have been ironed out since with updates by Novak.

Can of worms... but it may be relevant here??

I would first off just try swapping ends on your sensor cable, this in effect is just reseating it. If that does not help I would remove it, see if you get different results (would likely still see cogging) and may not shed any light at all on things, but it will cost nothing to try.

The free options being used I would replace the cheapest link the issue which is the sensor cable. Beyond that you are likely looking at a problem with the ESC or motor. Most motors can have a sensor board replaced, but I would just borrow a motor if possible to see if the issue stays with your motor or ESC as step 1.

Step 2 then would be to contact either the ESC or motor support or the shop they came from to see about warranty or exchange options.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Previously, I was using a Novak motor but decided to change it because I thought that was the cause of my problem.

Hmm,besides the ESC, could it be of any other problem?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Previously, I was using a Novak motor but decided to change it because I thought that was the cause of my problem.

One of the many problems I had with novak junk , get rid of the orange stuff . That esc is probably one of them that will not run non novak motors . I had the havok 3s and had to send it back 3 times before I gave up and sold it .
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Did you also try a new sensor cable? pulling them off to work on things can break the tiny wires in them, and the flexing around as the car runs can in time do the same. They are a common weak link in the setup, but thankfully they are a cheap fix. I keep spares around just to save a trip.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
Some of the Novak Havoc's have to be used with a Novak motor or other one that has a thermal sensor (old thread but see third post here) so you might want to contact Novak and clarify if your version has that restriction.
Originally Posted by lbenton
I could be way off, but I think I have heard of some Novak ESC's that do not play nice with some non-novak motors? I would assume that this being true at some point would have been ironed out since with updates by Novak.

Can of worms... but it may be relevant here??

I would first off just try swapping ends on your sensor cable, this in effect is just reseating it. If that does not help I would remove it, see if you get different results (would likely still see cogging) and may not shed any light at all on things, but it will cost nothing to try.

The free options being used I would replace the cheapest link the issue which is the sensor cable. Beyond that you are likely looking at a problem with the ESC or motor. Most motors can have a sensor board replaced, but I would just borrow a motor if possible to see if the issue stays with your motor or ESC as step 1.

Step 2 then would be to contact either the ESC or motor support or the shop they came from to see about warranty or exchange options.
Yes, the Havoc Sport line of ESC's were only intended to work with Novak motor's or other motor's with temperature sensor's, (Hacker and the older Orion Stock are known to work).

If it is the motor temperature sensor causing the issue, you would see a set of scrolling lights on the esc when you first turn it on. So, initially, I don't think it is a motor compatibility, since you said it does the same thing with the Novak motor.

Hobbywing shows 4 "sport grade" motors with temp sensor's,the V10 does not use motor temp sensor's.

The Havoc's were discontinued around 2010 I think, but here is a link for the instruction manual. http://teamnovak.com/downloads/index/1/9

I would suspect something else is going on with the esc.