R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   Braking / Slowing Down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/765730-braking-slowing-down.html)

yonpds 10-18-2013 09:26 AM

Braking / Slowing Down

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what is the proper way to slow down on my Traxxas Slash VXL. I am going over 30+ mph and I usually just tap the reverse 2 to 3 times to initially slow down and then hold it in to completely stop.

Is that safe for the motor to suddenly reverse while its going that fast?

Thanks.

MarkA 10-18-2013 09:39 AM

Reverse? No - bad idea. It'll tear up your gearbox very quickly.

Or, do you mean you're pushing "reverse" on your trigger to get the brakes?

Brakes = good, actual reverse = bad. Are your wheels stopping and trying to go backwards when you're doing this? If they are, you should be able to program a "reverse delay" on your ESC which will give you time to use the brakes before the reverse actually kicks in.

yonpds 10-18-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MarkA (Post 12643491)
Reverse? No - bad idea. It'll tear up your gearbox very quickly.

Or, do you mean you're pushing "reverse" on your trigger to get the brakes?

Brakes = good, actual reverse = bad. Are your wheels stopping and trying to go backwards when you're doing this? If they are, you should be able to program a "reverse delay" on your ESC which will give you time to use the brakes before the reverse actually kicks in.

Yes, I am pushing the reverse on the trigger. Usually the first tap nothing happens and the second tap I hear the tires stopping not going backwards. I usually wait another second and tap it for the 3rd or 4th time depending on how much I need to slow down.

I guess there is a delay because the 1st tap nothing happens.

lbenton 10-18-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by yonpds (Post 12643511)
Yes, I am pushing the reverse on the trigger. Usually the first tap nothing happens and the second tap I hear the tires stopping not going backwards. I usually wait another second and tap it for the 3rd or 4th time depending on how much I need to slow down.

I guess there is a delay because the 1st tap nothing happens.

Most often an ESC can also program a brake strength... slamming reverse while going forward is more of a break than a brake.

What brand ESC are you using, you may want to get whatever tool they have to look at the details of how you are set up. I would suggest a delayed reverse and going up quite a bit on brake strength if you are having trouble getting it to stop.

yonpds 10-18-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by lbenton (Post 12643841)
Most often an ESC can also program a brake strength... slamming reverse while going forward is more of a break than a brake.

What brand ESC are you using, you may want to get whatever tool they have to look at the details of how you are set up. I would suggest a delayed reverse and going up quite a bit on brake strength if you are having trouble getting it to stop.

ESC: Traxxas VXL-3s

I'm assuming I already have a delayed reverse since the first time I tap the reverse trigger, nothing happens. I just keep tapping it to apply brakes.

So, would this be the best way to slow down an RC? Just keep tapping the reverse trigger, but NOT squeezing it to where it will be forced to go full reverse?

Keith107 10-18-2013 04:31 PM

The VXL-3s is programmable with three drive profiles:
◾Sport Mode – Fwd / Brake / Rev
◾Race Mode – Fwd / Brake
◾Training Mode™ – 50% Fwd / Brake / 50% Rev

with the vxl reverse should not kick in until the vehicle comes to a stop.
as far as I know you can't program brake strength or any thing like that, just switch between the 3 different modes.

theblitzkidd 10-18-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Keith107 (Post 12644412)
◾Race Mode – Fwd / Brake

as far as I know you can't program brake strength or any thing like that, just switch between the 3 different modes.

This is 100% true:nod:

yonpds 10-18-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Keith107 (Post 12644412)
◾Race Mode – Fwd / Brake

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd (Post 12644439)
This is 100% true:nod:

Awesome info. Thank you. My Slash is in Sports mode.

theblitzkidd 10-19-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by yonpds (Post 12644937)
Awesome info. Thank you. My Slash is in Sports mode.

I have a veleneion in my buggy and sct and they are darn good escs, i run in race mode(cause i race and rev is not alowd) but the esc will not go into reverse if the motor is going forward, however if u are turning and u pump the brakes thedif will split causing the motor to stop spinning for a sec and then the motor will hit reverse, so just try not to turn and be on and off on and off the break lol, or olso on a loose dusty surface as well, if u make lock ful brake, and thn neutral, and get back on the brakesthis will make it cycle to reverse:)

yonpds 10-21-2013 12:16 AM

Thanks Blitz! Good to know.