Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
hey guys back to racing >

hey guys back to racing

hey guys back to racing

Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default hey guys back to racing

i used to race losi xxx4 and xx buggy Looking to race a 2wd buggy need recommendation on losi or team associated. charger recommendation and battery brand radio and servos thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdstang74
i used to race losi xxx4 and xx buggy Looking to race a 2wd buggy need recommendation on losi or team associated. charger recommendation and battery brand radio and servos thanks in advance
Well, I think all of the above will get you many different answers. Most are just what you prefer. The TRL 22 2.0 is looking pretty good, though the AE B4.2 is a proven winner. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Chargers, batteries, etc. are numerous, depending on your budget. Personally I like the iCharger line, but others will swear by other brands. Batteries, well... pick something in your price range, most are made in the same chinese factory. SMC lipos are nice, but that's just one example. Radios also come in many ranges, the more reputable being Futaba, Airtronics, KO Propo and lastly Spektrum. I'm not a Spektrum fan but many people love them. If you're on a budget, check out the Flysky brand radios. As for servos, you usually get what you pay for. Savvox are the bang-for-the-buck brand, but don't play nicely with Spektrum receivers. Plenty of other servos to choose from, though, Futuba, Hitec, XP and Radiopost to name a few.

Anyway, these days you can't go wrong with most of these, but do a little bit of reading on each to make sure you don't over-buy. You'll pay more for things you won't use or don't need. Nothing wrong with taking the more budget friendly route.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mdstang74
If your last car was a xx buggy, you need to know that in the time you've been gone, Losi was bought out by Horizon Hobby and now has a more extensive lineup of mini/micro toy cars than "race cars." Ditto for Associated only they're part of the Thunder Tiger Chinese toy conglomerate family.

As a result, the AE cars these days are collections of sloppy parts out of the box for which the AE fanboys either a) spend a ton of time discussing the best ways to get rid of the slop (I hope you like drilling and tapping setscrews!) or b) actually making the argument that a ton of slop makes a car easier to drive. The Losi's are a bit better quality wise but Losi is kinda sluggish to repsond from an engineering standpoint as it regards racing, IMO. The 22 2.0 has "fixes" that should have been fixed a few months after the first version came out, not two years later.

If your shopping list is limited to those two, flip a coin.

However, while any car can win with the right driver, if I was shopping for another 2wd buggy right now, I would consider all of the following but in no particular order, before those two: Kyosho RB6, Yokomo BMax2MR, the new Serpent and the new Schumacher.

For the rest of stuff, I would expand on metalnut's list by saying that your radio should cost at least $50 or it'll have perceptible lag.
Futaba's BLS servos are probably the top of the line right now but many, many people run the Savox's.

In the lipo era, chargers are chargers, they charge a pack to a set voltage rather than a "peak" so as long as a charger can accurately balance charge a 2s pack to 8.40v, it's been charged to 8.40v. You should be able to gauge which chargers can do so based on whether or not the website selling them is in English because it was ran through Google-translate to get that way... The rest of the features many chargers offer these days are just frills, IMO. If you were asking about racing Oval, you might want an ir measurement feature in your charger but in OffRoad, if you're racing mod buggy for example, many racers deliberately order lower "C" and thus higher ir packs to settle down power delivery.

For batteries, metal already mentioned SMC - Them and Promatch are the only two places I do/would order batteries from anymore.

Good luck with getting back into racing, the way the maintenance, especially with the motors, has dropped off has really made the hobby way more enjoyable.