Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Looking for advice. >

Looking for advice.

Looking for advice.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Looking for advice.

I've been planning on going racing for years and I thought 2013 would be the year but my year got off to a rocky start when I was diagnosed with colon cancer and more recently between work, family, and everyday life it has been tough to get to the track. I have been cancer free for 8 months now and I am going to attempt to finally get to the track soon but I am not sure if I should continue building my B4.1 or at this point buy the B4.2 FT and build and race the B4.2 FT instead of my B4.1. Any suggestions?

I also have a Tekin RS Pro Gen 1 and I was wondering if I'd be okay with just finally using the Gen 1 or is it better to just upgrade to the Gen 2? I would be running in the Sportsman class for sure too if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I would just keep building the car. It still can perform very well. Since it's a rs pro there is no need to upgrade to a gen two.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Wow, I went through the same exact thing. I have been free for almost 4 years. Still have stomach issues from time to time. Food not settling well. Hope you stay cancer free.

Tekin RS is fine. I have 2 of them and no issues at all. I just sold a brand new unopened Tekin RS Gen2 last week. If I felt it was much better than the first one I would have kept it.

Anyhow, good luck with everything.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I see no reason for you to have to upgrade anything, the 4.1 and your Tekin RS Pro should rip up any track. The only upgrade to the 4.1 that you may want, eventually, is the big bore shocks, but I don't think they're necessary by any means.

I hope your health continues to improve and that you can get back to racing as you intended.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you all very much for the replies and kind words. I am going down to the track tomorrow to watch some racing and hopefully in a few weeks I can get to race myself.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jbjints
Thank you all very much for the replies and kind words. I am going down to the track tomorrow to watch some racing and hopefully in a few weeks I can get to race myself.
If you get a chance, look around the pits and see who is running AE 4.x buggies. Talk them up and ask about 4.1 setups for your particular track. They should be able to tell you which tires work and a rough starting point for things like springs, shock oil, pistons, etc.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Congrats on beating cancer.

I am new to tekin esc's but from what I understand the rs pro will allow you to run any turn motor where the rs gen2 has a limit of 8.5t brushless. I saw some where the tekin RSX is suppose to be released mid November though I don't know if it's true. I believe the rsx is suppose to replace the rs pro.
I've been wrong before.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I looked in to the Big Bore kit and it is a $100 so I decided to just buy the B4.2 for a little extra. I know some will say I am crazy but it just didn't make sense to me to pay $100 for the Big Bore kit when the B4.2 comes with the kit. The B4.1 will not go to waste though. I am going to make it a car for my kids to go racing with me or for just bashing. The other components I have though I am going to use in the 4.2
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jbjints
I looked in to the Big Bore kit and it is a $100 so I decided to just buy the B4.2 for a little extra. I know some will say I am crazy but it just didn't make sense to me to pay $100 for the Big Bore kit when the B4.2 comes with the kit. The B4.1 will not go to waste though. I am going to make it a car for my kids to go racing with me or for just bashing. The other components I have though I am going to use in the 4.2
I don't think that's crazy at all If you look at my signature, you'll note that I have both a B4.1 and B4.2. I got the 4.2 first for indoor clay, then got the 4.1 for a more messy and bumpy outdoor track. Can't go wrong with two buggies that have interchangeable parts