NEW to On-Road RC >

NEW to On-Road RC

NEW to On-Road RC

Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default NEW to On-Road RC

Hi

I am new to the RC world and I am wanting to purchase a 1/10th Electric On-Road RC either Touring Car or F1. What is better to start off with 2WD or 4WD? Any advice or suggestions as to what I should look at buying in regard to Brand, Model, Motor and Electronics? It doesn't have to be fast as I will be learning with this car, if I can upgrade it down the track to make it a little more competitive when I do look at racing that would be great also.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Try not to get sucked into buying everything cheap from the beginning, you will end up spending more money in the end. I like tamiya cars a lot. A ta06 pro or ta04 pro would both be good for a beginner.

Motors and electronics, lrp, reedy, novak, tekin, viper, hacker, team epic/trinity, hobbywing, and Orion are some of the good brands to look into.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Good advice Panda. I would just open it up to quality name brand cars.

Used quality cars are better than buying a new ready to run (RTR). RTR cars are very limited to tuning and the quality isn't there.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

some other car brands for you are Xray, serpent, team associated, tamiya, hotbodies, and schumacher but that last one is a little funky I will say you get what you pay for.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

OK thanks so much for the advice. I will look around and do some research.

I am currently looking at a Xray T3 '12 chassis would this be OK for what I am wanting to do?

I also managed to buy a orion Neon 3280Kv 17turn Brushless motor and Orion Vortex R10 ESC. Is this ok for TC to start with?

If I buy the Xray T3 I have to buy a set of wheels and tyres any recommendations on what to buy? I will use it mainly in carparks and on the road or the local velodrome track to start with.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you dont plan to race the 17 might feel a bit slow for driving in open spaces. on a track though I think it would be fine. stock class does run 17.5, not 17.

I like hpi xpatterns for street driving. then for track: sweep, sorex, muchmore, and jaco are good brands to look into.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

OK, thanks for the information. So for open spaces I should look for faster. Will the ESC be ok with a faster motor? What specs should I look for when I look at a motor for general driving?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and recommend one of the Spec-R cars to you: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/parts.asp#ONM60

If you have the cash, go for the Pro-Spec for sure. If cash is an issue, the regular R1 or even the S1 should do you really well. I have a heavily abused (by me) R1 that is doing really well on our carpet track this season. No need to spend $500 on an Xray if you're new to onroad. Also, TC cars are all 4WD, if you want 2WD you're looking at Minis (which run with VTA cars a lot of times).

For motor, ESC, tires, bodies, you should check your club's rules. Do they have ROAR requirements? Any specific brands, like Novak for VTA? Once you know what you can run, buying should be a lot easier. If you want to race VTA or stock, I highly recommend a Hobbywing Justock ESC: http://www.falconsekido.com/products...c-esc-for-1-10 I have one in my F1 car and it's great.

Speaking of F1, I would say that's a slightly more challenging class just based on the build and tuning requirements. However, I love my recently built F1 and it's a ton of fun. For that class I would also check your club's rules, if any, as some F1 cars are wider than others. I run a Speed Passion SP1 and love it.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newtothis2
OK, thanks for the information. So for open spaces I should look for faster. Will the ESC be ok with a faster motor? What specs should I look for when I look at a motor for general driving?
Hrm... my previous reply assumed that you're looking for a carpet or asphalt racing setup. Are you just looking to bash in the street? If so, I have different recommendations for you

To answer your ESC question, most ESCs should have a maximum motor limit somewhere in their specifications. I'm not sure which Vortex R10 you have, but the Pro listed here says "Motor Type: 2S up to 2.5T, 3S up to 5.5T up to 16,000kV": http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-160A-2-3S
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

I always tell anyone who walked into the shop and asked "what should i get" to first know what you'll be doing with the car the most. Will you be bashing or will you be racing?
I've seen people get the newest highest tech TC and throw in the lowest turn, highest kV motor they can find only to burn out out the hobby in a very short amount of time because that car wasn't exactly the most maintenance friendly or durable enough for unprepared surfaces.

Not sure how much experience you have in RC but I think you should start off with a kit. Something you can build, because nothing better prepares you for fixing up and modifying your car than building a kit. You learn the entire car inside and out. You also learn the basics on installing electronics.

I think it would be a good idea to start off with a solid sport level kit and go from there. (Anything Tamiya with the word "Pro" at the end comes to mind) You can modify the car as you go along and learn more of what does what. You may end up spending a bit more in the long run than if you were to go high spec from the get go but you do get a better understanding of how the car changes as you add parts.
It's also something to consider that you stick to a brand that your LHS or track supports. Are your friends into RC? Kinda sucks when one guy has a TC, one guy a SC truck, and one guy a monster truck. If everyone ran the same type of car it can make race day a whole lot more fun.
Are you sure you want to run on-road? Off road cars make for better bashers even if it is a high end race level kit.

If anything, at least browse around the forums and see what you find interesting.