Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Which motor for 1/10 SCT ? >

Which motor for 1/10 SCT ?

Which motor for 1/10 SCT ?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 AM
  #16  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by ThePanda
to run a 540 motor of any kind in that car you will have to gear down. I don't really recommend it seeing as you can always gear down the 550, but you will have to really gear down the 540 motor.

as for the slipper clutch, if he is going to be taking really large jumps, or likes to pin the throttle on high traction surfaces like asphalt then it might be a good idea. otherwise its not really needed.
Where do you guys recommend I get a pinion gear from for Viper 550 system since The Panda informed of why I need to go with the 550 ? The factory motor has 3.17mm shaft. It is 32P on the gears.
compresstech is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 AM
  #17  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (54)
 
Grasschopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,647
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by compresstech
Where do you guys recommend I get a pinion gear from for Viper 550 system since The Panda informed of why I need to go with the 550 ? The factory motor has 3.17mm shaft. It is 32P on the gears.
I think the trouble here is going to be that most people aren't familiar with the Helion line of RCs as they are HobbyTown's house brand. To give a good gearing or motor suggestion someone needs to be at least a little familiar with the vehicle. For instance I'm thinking that you would be fine with the 540 sized Copperhead system...but to be completely honest it is just a guess. I just put the Copperhead R in a SCTE for my 12 yr old. Ran it for the first time last night and I geared it at the "slow" end with a 13t pinion...it was suggested to me to use a 15t by someone familiar with the SCTE and the Viper documents say 13t-16t. Well with the 13t the thing FLYS. 15t would have been WAY too much for my son.

In looking at the specs your Dominus SC is over a pound lighter than the SCTE but a pound heavier than the XXX-SCT (2wd SCT). So its lighter than a heavy 4wd SCT but heavier than a 2wd SCT and it's 4wd. Also it is designed to use a 21t brushed 550 motor and a 7 cell NiMH battery. What battery will you be using? A 2S LiPo is going to be a good bit lighter than a 7 cell NiMH as well and the 4 pole 540 brushless. The 21t 550 will most certainly be a lower kv motor than any of the Viper 4 poles...probably like 1700kv assuming it is similar to the Traxxas Titan 550 motor. So with the Viper motor you would want to gear down a bit which will gain you torque.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would go with the 540 system...but honestly I don't have any first hand experience with the Helion so my suggestion is coming only from the position of looking at specification on the internet. Also get a slipper if they offer one, solid connection is a bad plan. My fear in you putting the 550 4500kv system in there would be tearing the truck apart with all the power and too much speed (though that can be tamed with EPA and ESC settings).

Edit: Just did some more research and the Traxxas Venlion VXL system for the SLash 4x4 is a 540 3500kv. I would go for the $99 Copperhead 540 combo for the Dominus for sure.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 10-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Grasschopper is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  #18  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I think the trouble here is going to be that most people aren't familiar with the Helion line of RCs as they are HobbyTown's house brand. To give a good gearing or motor suggestion someone needs to be at least a little familiar with the vehicle. For instance I'm thinking that you would be fine with the 540 sized Copperhead system...but to be completely honest it is just a guess. I just put the Copperhead R in a SCTE for my 12 yr old. Ran it for the first time last night and I geared it at the "slow" end with a 13t pinion...it was suggested to me to use a 15t by someone familiar with the SCTE and the Viper documents say 13t-16t. Well with the 13t the thing FLYS. 15t would have been WAY too much for my son.

In looking at the specs your Dominus SC is over a pound lighter than the SCTE but a pound heavier than the XXX-SCT (2wd SCT). So its lighter than a heavy 4wd SCT but heavier than a 2wd SCT and it's 4wd. Also it is designed to use a 21t brushed 550 motor and a 7 cell NiMH battery. What battery will you be using? A 2S LiPo is going to be a good bit lighter than a 7 cell NiMH as well and the 4 pole 540 brushless. The 21t 550 will most certainly be a lower kv motor than any of the Viper 4 poles...probably like 1700kv assuming it is similar to the Traxxas Titan 550 motor. So with the Viper motor you would want to gear down a bit which will gain you torque.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would go with the 540 system...but honestly I don't have any first hand experience with the Helion so my suggestion is coming only from the position of looking at specification on the internet. Also get a slipper if they offer one, solid connection is a bad plan. My fear in you putting the 550 4500kv system in there would be tearing the truck apart with all the power and too much speed (though that can be tamed with EPA and ESC settings).

Edit: Just did some more research and the Traxxas Venlion VXL system for the SLash 4x4 is a 540 3500kv. I would go for the $99 Copperhead 540 combo for the Dominus for sure.
Thanks Grasschopper. Sounds good to me. I was gonna run A 7-cell nimh 4200mah. Do you think I need to switch to LiPo ?
compresstech is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM
  #19  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by compresstech
Thanks Grasschopper. Sounds good to me. I was gonna run A 7-cell nimh 4200mah. Do you think I need to switch to LiPo ?
You will want to eventually but for a kids' truck, I wouldn't call it urgent. In the meantime, when your new ESC comes, make sure the lipo lvc is turned off in the settings or your truck will come to a stop sooner than it should as nimh packs have too much voltage drop under load. Just make sure to turn that setting back on if/when you do ever do go to lipos.
MarkA is offline  
Old 10-12-2013, 05:25 AM
  #20  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 36
Default

I would like to know how this turns out? I just got my 10yo a Dominus and choosing engines/esc's is Greek to me.
phred is offline  
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM
  #21  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,412
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

no matter what motor you go with get a full range of pinion gears, you will need them sooner or later, the sooner the better, all it takes is a couple runs with the wrong gear to ruin everything.
asc6000 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.