Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
NICE SPUR     GEAR >

NICE SPUR GEAR

NICE SPUR GEAR

Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default NICE SPUR GEAR

I have a spur gear 64p but it doesnt have writing on it
so is there a way i can figure out the size of it besides counting the teeth?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Can get an estimate by measuring pitch diameter, but I doubt if one can get an accurate enough measurement with the relatively small 64 pitch teeth to really be sure without counting.

Pitch diameter is the ideal point of engagement, slightly less than half way down the teeth. Pitch diameter in inches times 64 = number of teeth.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

There is a gauge/tool that tells you the actual size. I personally didn't trust them but they do exist. I believe they were made by Trinity.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Easy way to count teeth is to get something like a silver sharpie (if the spur is black) and mark each tooth as you count it. That way you don't screw up and have to do it all over again.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Can you make a photo copy of it? Or better yet if you have one of the ever popular PC / Scanner combos just make a scan of it. You can blow that up or print it out to count the teeth so you can mark them off as you go and not get lost on those tiny teeth.

I am kind of in the same boat on a smaller scale with pinions. Way back I saw pinion cases that molded forms that the gears would fit into and I have one for 32 pitch mod .8 But would like the same for mod 1 and 48 pitch... that way my unmarked pinions could try on the case like a glass slipper. But I have not run across them again, but with pinions you can count teeth much easier.

And if I may add, I wish it was just standard practice out there to put the tooth count on spurs and pinions. I know some do, but not all... Would just make things so much easier.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by metalnut
Easy way to count teeth is to get something like a silver sharpie (if the spur is black) and mark each tooth as you count it. That way you don't screw up and have to do it all over again.
Interesting idea. Maybe mark every 5 teeth or so? Should be fairly easy to get that right, then it might be easier to double check the count, 5-10, etc.
Originally Posted by lbenton
Can you make a photo copy of it? Or better yet if you have one of the ever popular PC / Scanner combos just make a scan of it. You can blow that up or print it out to count the teeth so you can mark them off as you go and not get lost on those tiny teeth.

I am kind of in the same boat on a smaller scale with pinions. Way back I saw pinion cases that molded forms that the gears would fit into and I have one for 32 pitch mod .8 But would like the same for mod 1 and 48 pitch... that way my unmarked pinions could try on the case like a glass slipper. But I have not run across them again, but with pinions you can count teeth much easier.

And if I may add, I wish it was just standard practice out there to put the tooth count on spurs and pinions. I know some do, but not all... Would just make things so much easier.
Another good idea. +1 for always having the gears marked with tooth count, that would be sweet.

Don't forget to mark the gear well once you do get it figured out! Maybe on more than one spot/side in case of some fade or rub out.