Buy New or Used - Support Local Hobby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy New or Used - Support Local Hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Buy New or Used - Support Local Hobby?

Where I am there is only one Losi shop in the city! I talked to the guy and a Losi SCTE Ten 2.0 kit - with all parts and paint etc etc - looking at $1,000.

I can see on here if I buy used I can get one and add the parts - probably total what - $600??

So - who doesn't want to save money BUT I'm thinking if I need parts and I show up there this guy is going to not be as friendly hahahaha. When it was a $1,000 sale he was nice with lots of time for me.

ALSO - he pretty much runs the local outdoor track - only one where I can drive the truck.

So - maybe worth the extra $400 as I'm going to see the guy every week or two for a long time??? Plus I guess is all BRAND NEW so maybe that is worth something too eh???
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

No. It's 400 dollars. You can get a killer radio/ other goodies for that much. I would never spend the extra money. I'm sure he will understand.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Hobby shops dont make much off the kits, its the parts! I'd try and split it up some if it makes financial sense. Heck ask the guy if he will match online retailers or at least get closer, might surprise you.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I would get a decent setup from here on the bst section
Like panda said, u can get it rather cheaper than 600$
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I meant the price difference was 400 from what was mentioned, but still you can get a nice used setup for a great price used in the for sale section. Do be advised that there is the tlr version and the stock losi roller. So know what you are buying.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Again Panda - Took Your Advice - can get 2 upgraded trucks for price of 1 new one! Will do the repairs at his shop after the races hahaha
Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You won't regret gong SC it puts the fun back in RC. I guess I didn't realize you were going to race, that 1/8 scale SC would have been a mistake. Nobody races that class, but it makes a great basher. In 1/10 scale Losi is definitely a good choice. And if you can get local part support, you can't ask for any more than that. Good luck with your racing.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by deanpeterson
Thanks Again Panda - Took Your Advice - can get 2 upgraded trucks for price of 1 new one! Will do the repairs at his shop after the races hahaha
Way to go that's what I done with the first SCT I bought, got 2 HPI blitzs rtr for the price of one!!!
Originally Posted by Big Trol
You won't regret gong SC it puts the fun back in RC. I guess I didn't realize you were going to race, that 1/8 scale SC would have been a mistake. Nobody races that class, but it makes a great basher. In 1/10 scale Losi is definitely a good choice. And if you can get local part support, you can't ask for any more than that. Good luck with your racing.
I agree, SC racing is closest to the real thang, IMO
Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=theblitzkidd;12504893]Way to go that's what I done with the first SCT I bought, got 2 HPI blitzs rtr for the price of one!!!

There are some great deals out there, Dad's buy the toys to have something to do with the kids, kids loose interest. Dad tries to cut losses. It's a shame, but somebody has to create those great deals. I always look on the for sale/trade forum on Monday. Pages and pages of great deals.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

No shame in buying used and going to the track. The track owner will probably be happy to have another racer paying entry fees and buying parts/tires on a regular basis.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
No. It's 400 dollars. You can get a killer radio/ other goodies for that much. I would never spend the extra money. I'm sure he will understand.
Just like you'll understand that if the track closes because it doesnt make enough money to stay open leaving you with no place to race
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sdtech58
No shame in buying used and going to the track. The track owner will probably be happy to have another racer paying entry fees and buying parts/tires on a regular basis.
This. Better to sell the razors or the blades? Better to build the system (gaming) or better to sell the games? Better to sell the kit or all the other parts that are needed (tires, replacement parts, etc etc)?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
Just like you'll understand that if the track closes because it doesnt make enough money to stay open leaving you with no place to race
just because a LHS has a track doesn't mean they should get away with charging up to 40% more on some items that you can buy online or straight from the mfg much much cheaper.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjmurphy
just because a LHS has a track doesn't mean they should get away with charging up to 40% more on some items that you can buy online or straight from the mfg much much cheaper.
Yes, there are a few manufacturer's who sell their product consumer direct for up to 40% less than what a shop has to sell it for. Overseas parts house are typically lower as well due to lower transportation costs and handling.

You may be able to get a set of tires for example for around let's say $25 shipped ( and this would be the cheapest shipping option, not EMS) from an overseas parts house. For most of the shops, that set may cost them in the $19-23 range shipped by EMS, ( so we have tracking and insurance on the order), so it is possible to find that set of tires at the LHS for $29 on the bottom end and up to $37. The high volume shops are typically going to be lower, due in part to the shear volume they are able to move.

For example, I purchased a stocking order from a mfg that had to be shipped from overseas. The shipping cost alone was around 20-22% of the total order. Some of those parts had a retail of $5, in total there were 18 items in that box, the cost to ship each item in that box averaged close to $11.

My point is this, a shop cannot sell a $5 item for $16 to cover the shipping, the electronics in that box had less than 15% margin to compete with the on-line direct shop. To break even, as a convenience for the customer, the outrageous shipping cost from the $5 gets shifted to the higher $ item, to make a few bucks or break even, the consumer price will be higher yet. This may not always be the case for every product, but in most cases with this particular mfg's product, it is the norm for them to sell direct, under cut the dealer.

Now, if A-Main, Tower, Horizon, are all within a few dollars of each other. Then, in most cases, the LHS may be within 5-6% of them, especially if it is a "proprietary" product to one or more of their distributors. That however, would all be dependant upon each LHS's own individual overhead.

In no way am I trying to start an agrument for one side or the other, just a possible in-sight.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
LHS dont make much on kits. Usually around $20-$30. Most LHS understand that they have to compete with the big online shops.

Originally Posted by mjmurphy
The difference here is that Amain, Tower, and Stormer all buy stuff in huge volumes compared to your local guy. The LHS has maybe 2 boxes of 3-4 different kits. The big online shops order 200 of EACH KIT. Making orders like that lets the distributor give you a huge discount to the store. Its the same as a 12pk of pop at the gas station is $7, but the same one al Walmart is $3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.