Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
All cars come home broken - just me or? >

All cars come home broken - just me or?

All cars come home broken - just me or?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last edited by Big Trol; 09-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In this hobby, parts support is really important. You can avoid breaking parts by not crashing, but there are things you can't avoid like wear and tear. And that wear and tear if not taken care of can damage other parts. Resist running your kit if it's showing signs of slowdowns or irregularities. Clean your kit after every run and inspect critical parts, replace worn out parts if needed. Get yourself some good cleaning brush and hand air blower for dust. Don't substitute RC liquids (oils) with household stuffs. A temporary fix (like glueing something) is just temporary, replace it with original or better parts. Use the right tools at all times. Proper maintenance can increase the life of your kits.

PS: I'm from Manila
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

PS: I'm from Manila
Well that's the solution.... pick up the parts that are twelve hours away and race with Airflow 8 hours away..sorted
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Get them from eBay, or some other parts place...online!!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Hey blitz, your Dirt vs.Clay thread is back on the electric off road.

Last edited by Big Trol; 09-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One piece of advice would be if you want to be in this hobby, you have to spend nearly as much time wrenching as you spend driving.

That said, every time I come home from a race/bash session, I always go through my gear. Ensure all screws are tight, no diffs/shocks leaking, no broken parts, etc... To be honest, that's part of the fun!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by Big Trol; 09-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
One piece of advice would be if you want to be in this hobby, you have to spend nearly as much time wrenching as you spend driving.

That said, every time I come home from a race/bash session, I always go through my gear. Ensure all screws are tight, no diffs/shocks leaking, no broken parts, etc... To be honest, that's part of the fun!
I def agree, I like to rebuild stuff, to me that's the fun part.....I don't like to drive my car not knowing what's going on in the gears and shock, but after I rebuild em I kno thetpy are fresh!!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My vehicles tend to break a lot just because I'm a bad driver. If this bothered me I'd just try to drive better lol.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
Hahahaha well sounds like RC just isn't the thing for u...I sugest u try quilting,or knitting no work, and not much to learn

1.) First thing is first... cmon blitz, you know that's not helpful. Cmon

2.) RC is expensive, but cars don't typically break like you are describing

3.) If you buy a RTR, expect the RTR electronics to give out on you eventually (sometimes much sooner than you would expect). It's less expensive as a RTR as a whole, because you get cheap electronics just to get you started. Buying a RTR ALWAYS means you will be buying some things twice. A kit, where you pick better components out of the gate will cost you more up front, but less in the long run. Buy the best servos you can afford, never skimp.

4.) Large 8th scale cars aren't the best choice for backyard racing IMO. They cost the most to run overall. You are better off with 1/10th scale brushless SC trucks IMO. Just as much fun, easier to control, more forgiving, and maybe more durable. You will go through bodies more often however.

5.) If you are breaking chassis/suspension parts, then you are doing a lot more bashing than you admit. Even though they are race grade RC cars, they aren't designed to be tossed around where they land on their roof, or directly on the side of their wheels, like a nikko TV commercial. All race grade RC cars will break being driven like that. They are still designed to stay on their wheels. Land the car funny or send it on it's top enough times, and ALL RC cars will break.

6.) Even if they WERNT breaking, you can expect considerable amount of bench time keeping them running properly. That is the way of all RC.

I think that's all I have at the moment.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 10-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I def agree, I like to rebuild stuff, to me that's the fun part.....I don't like to drive my car not knowing what's going on in the gears and shock, but after I rebuild em I kno thetpy are fresh!!
That's the satisfying part about the hobby, imo, nothing quite like keeping them up and improving performance.

Originally Posted by Stevenator128
My vehicles tend to break a lot just because I'm a bad driver. If this bothered me I'd just try to drive better lol.
A main offers discounts on orders over I think $250 and free shipping too. Figure out what parts you break A arm, shock towers etc. and buy in quantity. And buy quality tools too, oh, and learn how to enjoy the repair aspect of this hobby. Most of all, have fun stevenator128.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dadic 78

Good maintenance is definitely the secret to peak performance. I always give mine a quick once over when I change batteries too. You can sometimes prevent failure if you catch the odd loose or missing fastener.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Most broken parts are from hard impacts and cartwheels... and sooner or later it will happen to any car pushed around the track as fast as it can go. A close second on that would be loose screws and simply worn out parts giving way.

As for lap times I think most people can get around faster pushing the limit to say 90%, keep it consistent for many laps, not having the hottest single lap. That with a good cleaning / looking over for each day at the track will go a long way to prevent part failures.

But in the end, no matter how careful you are, you are not alone on the track or will simply make a mistake... parts will be broken. It is part of the adventure. But do not let that keep you off the track, fix it and come back. If you are fixing things often then you may want to work on style. Your very best practice will come from a 17.5 2wd car/truck. Yes it will not be as fast, but with practice you can get a set of 4-5 laps that are better than a lot of the guys with much much faster rigs because you will keep the wheels pointed down and stay off the pipes.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Trol
That's the satisfying part about the hobby, imo, nothing quite like keeping them up and improving performance.

A main offers discounts on orders over I think $250 and free shipping too. Figure out what parts you break A arm, shock towers etc. and buy in quantity. And buy quality tools too, oh, and learn how to enjoy the repair aspect of this hobby. Most of all, have fun stevenator128.
Tower hobbies coupons are way better. I can get 40 bucks off of 250. So a few new free tools every time i shop there.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Tower hobbies coupons are way better. I can get 40 bucks off of 250. So a few new free tools every time i shop there.
Thanks, they're web site kinda sucks though. IMO Not very user friendly. Seems like they changed it at some point, and they definitely didn't make it better. A main has coupon codes too, and you can earn bonus points.