Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need help picking first car, electric / nitro etc. >

Need help picking first car, electric / nitro etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help picking first car, electric / nitro etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help picking first car, electric / nitro etc.

Hello there, i've always loved watching rc races when i was young and back when i wouldn't think of askijng for something like that to my parents specially since it seemed finicky in the old nitro times, i think the time has come to try it, years have passed and i took interest in other hobbies such as rc helicopters / quads.

I'm looking for something solid that will be a good first purchase and take some of a beginner to rc cars oopsie moments, i don't mind reading and have been checking threads on most of the cars, thing is even with rc helicopters sometimes when building some kits i just went nuts looking at the instructions, although rc car intructions seem easier to follow for me from the manuals i've read from some of the models i was looking at it's still a doubt.

Then there is the nitro vs electric, when i soldered stuff in the helicopters i can't say i liked it much, somewhat due to lack of a decent soldering iron and just lack of skill with it although i managed to get it working it's something i'm not looking forward to, are there pre soldered motors that just plug into the escs with bullet connectors or something ?

Then there is nitro, i've read it feels more like real racing not just on the noise smell but also the torque of the car etc, i have a big backyard and it's decently smooth although bit inclined and well i can ride in more places, i think i would like a onroad one first, maybe a modified/pan car but i'm open to even offroad cars, have some good places to ride that as well.

What would be good rtr / roller choices for nitro or electric ? i would be open to a roller if not rtr since i would just have to fill it with the engine etc, may want to race in the future but not sure yet, will depend on how much i enjoy it, but i'm sure i would like to race in the future as i'm sure i will enjoy the hobby since it's been a long time coming, just getting delayed for rl stuff and other hobbies.

I looked into the edam razor rtr on the onroad side and not sure what other nitro options would be for onroad, for offroad i had looked into the hobao hyper 7 .21 or the hyper ss or the car rtr but only found it on amainhobbies, could someone help me ? electric wise i was looking into the 4.2 rtr but it seems like it lacks some stuff compared to the kit so something without big compromises would be good, since it's sort of a test i wouldn't like to spend too much, so around 300-400$.

Much appreciated in advance, also thought abbout getting the hobby king 1/16 nitro buggy or the 1/8 just to get some experience with nitro at a sort of low cost but at the same time wouldn't mind payign more to get something better for the future.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

first ill touch on the rtr vs kit. the kits come with many of the factory upgrades, mainly stuff like shocks, nicer plastics, and aluminum bits. the rtr come with lower grade stuff, but they do come with tires, motors, esc, radio, and body, some come with battery, some don't. a lot of rtrs come with crappy stuff though, servos, tires, motors and escs are usually not first choice per say of the person buying the car. highly recommend buying a kit, and they are fun to put together

now nitro vs electric. nitro is much more hands on and wrenching with the car. there is more maintenance involved.with the many advances that electric has made the advantages of nitro are sorta dead, stuff like runtime and speed. a good electric setup will be faster and quicker and run just as well as a nitro setup.

what style of car do you want? 1/10 on road or of road or 1/8 on road or off road.

for 300-400 dollars the only type of kit would be a beginner-intermediate tc or a 2wd of road, and even that will be streching to upwards of 500+ with better batteries, radio gear etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reapy
Hey, seems like my post doesn't show and don't want to risk double posting so will pm instead , hopefully eventually my post will pop up.

Hey thanks for the reply, i was thinking about 1/8 or 1/10 onroad, although i also do like the buggies i somehwat took a liking into the pan cars/modified although maybe they are too twitchy for a beginner ? i could extend the budget a bit to 500ish. Or i'm sure i could just go for a good kit right away and so the girlfriend doesn't kill me buy the electronics next month, would that be better ?

What would be a good kit (i'm still somehwat scared of somehow getting stuck, but i guess if i try everything and doesn't work i can ask around here).

This is the track where i live, although at first i just want to have some fun, but pheraps i will go to the track practice some. (bah can't post the link due to not enough posts but search "vila real pista rc" on youtube if you don't mind) to get an idea about the track where i would possibly practice/race on.

At least last time i checked nitro was rather popular here both 1/10 and 1/8, regarding the scale would 1/8 be easier to get an hang of ?

So yeah i'm patient so i could just buy the kit first and then the rest of the stuff, bit undecided on the nitro vs electric yet but if you could suggest a build i would appreciate it, so making it well sort of free reign on the kit budget and for the rest just something to start out with, if i go nitro i'm sure i will end up blowing first engine fast although i've been reading on maintenance etc it seems to happen frequently for newcomers.

Much appreciated

I know the modified etc is just a body but i'm not sure if the chassis are different, feeling quite lost somewhat haha.
sorry for questions, but when you say "free reign", what do you mean? cuz it would be easy to sink 2000$ into a 1/8 nitro.
the earlier stated 500$, is that for everything(you could take the car to to a track and enter some sort of race?) or is it just for the kit?

i think that electric would be much easier to start in and learn to drive in than nitro. also, their are some good rtrs out there as well, but a kit would be a better starting point of you wanted to race.

the track look very nice. do they have 1/10 electric?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey by free reign i mean around 500$ for the kit and probably around 400-500$ for electronics, so if it would be raceable with that would be nice, yes they do have electric races too.

I'm open to electric sure, if you think it would be better for a beginner.

Cheers
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

ok. i suggest that you go with a 1/10 electric touring car. you will be able to get great stuff. (good radio, which is important) you can start in a slower class, something like stock. then as your skill improves you can move up in classes respectively. with a budget of 900-1000 total you can get a pro level chassis and electronics if you choose. (tamiya has the trf 417 on sale for 400!)

for that budget you could go with a nitro as as well.

what i recommend is that you go to the track you plan to go to, find some nice guy who has a nitro and ask him to run through the car with you, maintenance, running ,stuff like that. do the same with electric. just so you can see the good and bad of both types.

the reason i say electric better for a beginner is that there isnt as much going on with the car, so you can focus more on developing skills that tuning an engine. with electric there are much slower classes you can run, vta is 21.5 and stock is 17.5 vs. mod ,with much lower turn motors, so its easier to drive. with nitro its just go go go from the beginning, you really cant make the cars "slower".
electric would be cheaper, in terms of the kit, maintenance, etc.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, any kit that you would recommend ? and i will do that .

And i see, i'll start with electric then and go from there , cheers!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Tech Champion

Electric 1/10 tc.

Team asso. Tc6.1 worlds car.
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a....1/Worlds_Car/

Tamiya trf417 with gear diff (sale)
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-42200

Xray t4
http://www.teamxray.com/t4/

Hot bodies tcxx
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/kit.php?partNo=68299&lang=en

Just going to throw this in

Ta06 pro
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...ssis-kit-58492

This being a slightly cheaper kit would give you more room for electronics/radio system
Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hey by free reign i mean around 500$ for the kit and probably around 400-500$ for electronics, so if it would be raceable with that would be nice, yes they do have electric races too.

I'm open to electric sure, if you think it would be better for a beginner.

Cheers
You also mention running it in the backyard. Do you mean race against friends or people in a park? Or is there a track near you? If there's a track, go there first to find out what runs. Nothing worse than buying into a dying class. That should determine whether you go nitro or not.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I suggest the b4.2 kit, I have the b4 kit and I love it more than all my other class of vehicles!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much for the help and for going through the trouble of even linking the sites with the models panda, i will be goign to the track to see what is most popular and then order one, truly appreciate it, hope it will be a fun journey!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Thank you very much for the help and for going through the trouble of even linking the sites with the models panda, i will be goign to the track to see what is most popular and then order one, truly appreciate it, hope it will be a fun journey!
Good idea. Look for what's running good at the track