The right way to set car's alignment

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave H

The right way to set car's alignment

Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The right way to set car's alignment

I have been having a problem setting the "alignment" on my RC8.2 FT...the car wants to pull left, and it seems that I have to correct this with an excessive amount of steering trim.

This is what I have done so far / per the manual & various tips that I have read:

1) Set the steering servo horn as close to perpendicular to the body of the servo as possible.

2) Fine tuned the position of the servo horn using the steering subtrim

3) Adjusted the link between the servo horn and the servo saver arm so that the screw thru between the link and the servo saver arm is in line with the mounting posts of the servo saver (see picture).

4) Toe & Camber linkages were prebuilt, but i verified that all linkages were within 0.1 mm or less to the specified lengths in the manual using digital calipers

Questions:

Should adjust my cars steering by adjusting the lengths of the camber and / or toe linkages or something else (labeled #1 and #2 in picture)

Does the car seem to have an excessive amount of camber (see picture)...unfortunately, I don't have a camber / toe gauge.
Attached Thumbnails The right way to set car's alignment-servo.jpg   The right way to set car's alignment-links.jpg   The right way to set car's alignment-front.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Just set the trim to the center and the servo horn to the center as well, then tune with the turnbuckles!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Off-Road? Yeah don't over think it. you should be able to eye-ball it pretty close then fine tune with the radio.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Which turnbuckles would decrease the pull to the left? The camber or the toe or both?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blckparade
Which turnbuckles would decrease the pull to the left? The camber or the toe or both?
Adjust the ones that go from the servo to the steering arms (yokes,carriers, whatever). Get those lined up and tweek everything till it you have straight tracking. Camber is another topic.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Turn your radio on. Not the car. Set every Steering setting on your radio to neutral. Set the dual rate to 100. Now take off the steering servo horn and turn the car on. The servo will center itself. Put the horn back on and find the spline that gets you closest to center. Your probably going to have to trim it a little bit. Don't forget blue locktite on the servo horn screws.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blckparade
Don't use the left & right steering turnbuckles to adjust steering trim (centering). These turnbuckles should be as close to equal in length as possible. If they are different the car will turn different left & right, have weird ackermann, and bump steer issues. Keep them equal by adjusting both when making toe adjustments.

Adjust the link between the servo and servo saver to adjust trim. Try and keep the servo arm and the saver arm pointing in the same direction, parallel to each other, to the extent possible.

Put the car on the wheels to set and measure camber. Use something like a pop can up against each wheel to eyeball camber, get each side equal. Works on the rear too.
Ackchyually likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Great advice

I kept reading this issue over and over, knew the answer, but couldn't put together something as easy to follow. You can wear out turnbuckles and yourself trying to set it up any other way, learned that one the hard way. $.02