Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Gear vs Belt Chasis TC >

Gear vs Belt Chasis TC

Gear vs Belt Chasis TC

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gear vs Belt Chasis TC

Hi I want to know the pro and cons of the gear vs the belt drive chasis for on electric onroad touring car 1/10.

Some recomendations for entry level / beginner rc, price and sites.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Tech Champion

Basically belt drive puts the motor in the same orientation as the wheels avoiding troublesome side to side torque reactions. As far as I know most all modern touring cars now use this setup. Downside includes more susceptibility to debris, small rocks and such getting in the belts, than shaft drive cars.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Belt drive is also much quieter
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Pretty much the only car with an enclosed belt for outdoor use is the losi xxxs and getting parts for that dinosaur is hit and miss.....trust me i own a fleet of them simply because i like belt cars...even outdoors! I believe it's time for a company to go out on a limb and produce another belt car that isn't defeated by a small stone!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

I've heard that shaft driven is good for slower speeds like the VTA Class. Other than that belt driven all the way. Just look at what the champions drive. It is easier to drive too!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
Belt drive is also much quieter
I'll second that blitz! You can sneak up on people easier!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

I loved my tc3

lol
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hippo_408
I loved my tc3

lol
If you ever try a belt driven car you will really love it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
If you ever try a belt driven car you will really love it.
I did try belt drives, losi xxx-s and the X-ray, I didn like either of them nearly as much as the tc3, I loved the torq steer hahahaha
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hippo_408
I did try belt drives, losi xxx-s and the X-ray, I didn like either of them nearly as much as the tc3, I loved the torq steer hahahaha
Wow, nothing wrong with loving torque steer.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Pretty much the only car with an enclosed belt for outdoor use is the losi xxxs and getting parts for that dinosaur is hit and miss.....trust me i own a fleet of them simply because i like belt cars...even outdoors! I believe it's time for a company to go out on a limb and produce another belt car that isn't defeated by a small stone!
I gotta put in a good word for the the triple XS, it's been a good car to me. My first win in on road came with one, as well as the most wins I've had overall. But all good things come to an end and I'm selling off my collection.

Losi needs to either reproduce this car (a "VTA" rtr would be great) or build a newer version. Hell, they just need to get back into on-road again period. The single belt design is a good concept that was abandoned. As for this thread, I've tried shaft cars but never really dug the way they drove. I felt like belt cars "flow" better.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Current enclosed belt-drive car - Tamiya XV01

The car is VERY competitive in rally, and can hold it's own in parking lot TC racing as well. I think it might be at a slight disadvantage in carpet racing.

The "Pro" kit is only a few bucks more and comes with proper shocks, plus a few other bling items. For the price difference, it's really a no-brainer.

The nice thing about the XV-01 is that it is designed for racing in the dirt, which means if you do race on carpet or swept asphault, the level of maintenance required is greatly reduced. I'd give that one a go as a good basher and a good (entry level) racer.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Awesomatrix is the only higher-end shaft drive car still produced anymore. It does win at an impressive clip in the "Pro-stock" class in Europe but it's pricing probably keeps the numbers of them in the U.S. down. In a slowish class, i.e. VTA where you won't generate the torque-steer, I could see a TC4 being very competitive.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
The Awesomatrix is the only higher-end shaft drive car still produced anymore. It does win at an impressive clip in the "Pro-stock" class in Europe but it's pricing probably keeps the numbers of them in the U.S. down. In a slowish class, i.e. VTA where you won't generate the torque-steer, I could see a TC4 being very competitive.
I agree, though I think a TC3 is still better, especially if you can find a hooked up chassis, there is BMI TC3 on Ebay at the moment. Would for sure be a great VTA car.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Locally the TC4 is the most sought after VTA car, the Team version with the carbon fiber chassis specifically. TC3's are the top choice for those who can't find a TC4.

club racer isn't the same car, fyi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.