Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Gear vs Belt Chasis TC >

Gear vs Belt Chasis TC

Gear vs Belt Chasis TC

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
The Awesomatrix is the only higher-end shaft drive car still produced anymore. It does win at an impressive clip in the "Pro-stock" class in Europe but it's pricing probably keeps the numbers of them in the U.S. down. In a slowish class, i.e. VTA where you won't generate the torque-steer, I could see a TC4 being very competitive.
That's $800 U.S......holy crap, nice car but HOLY CRAP
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Locally the TC4 is the most sought after VTA car, the Team version with the carbon fiber chassis specifically. TC3's are the top choice for those who can't find a TC4.

club racer isn't the same car, fyi.
To me the "club" car just looks like a rtr-version with no electronics.

I was thinking the Pro4, if you can find a good one, is a good option. Pretty sure the arms / hubs, ect are still the same for the cyclone, parts shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Belts and Shafts drive differently. There tends to be a tad bit more drag in the drivetrain system in a belt car, where as the shaft car tends to have almost zero drag. BUT, there is more rotational mass in a shaft car, and shaft cars suffer from torque steer, which you feel more and more, the hotter the motor you run.

I strictly run on outdoor asphalt where traction is usually at a premium, so I would never run a tc3 or 4 as the tub chassis completely prohibits chassis flex/mechanical grip. They would be great on carpet however. For the same price, a much better starter VTA for for asphalt would be the Schumacher Mi1.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Showroom/mi1.html
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I'll give Schumacher two thumbs up... those cars are great on asphalt. I still think the (BMI) Mi2 I had was one of the best asphalt cars ever. for VTA, no question a Mi1 would be well suited.