Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Still confused about electronics >

Still confused about electronics

Still confused about electronics

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Still confused about electronics

I'm still really confused about picking out motor/esc/battery upgrades. I want to upgrade my new 1/10 e-revo to run a brushless and lipo setup.

I'm looking at getting a Tacon 3660-540L-11T 2200KV Brushless Motor (just trying to match the brushless edition e-revo to be on the safe side) But I don't know what rating of esc I need to get. The brushless e-revo comes with a mamba monster. I know this is an expensive hobby,(hell, I did just by an e-revo) but I just can't justify spending that much on a single device that's smaller than my mini desert truck.

Is there another esc that can handle this motor? Or is this even the right motor for me? And do I need to get two since my e-revo came with two brushed motors?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The motor you have picked out is small for that truck. Ideally you want a 1/8 size motor and ESC. Youre gonna have to spend a little. Probably in the $300 range.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You need an esc for 1/8 scale. Hobbywing makes good cheap ones. There prob the best for the price.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Do monster trucks usually need motors and esc's for a scale above them simply because they're so much bigger? I guess that's why it came with two 1/10 brushed motors, but only needs one 1/8 brushless motor.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Exitaph
Do monster trucks usually need motors and esc's for a scale above them simply because they're so much bigger? I guess that's why it came with two 1/10 brushed motors, but only needs one 1/8 brushless motor.
The ideal way of looking at it is based more on the weight of the vehicle rather than the scale, and that truck is on the heavy side of 1/10. Getting a truck like that to work with a single 1/10 brushless motor is possible, but it's a lot of headache and the performance difference compared to using two brushed 1/10 motors becomes almost non-existent. Definitely shoot for an actual 1/8 motor.

The Hobbywing 150A escs have been very popular units from what I've seen. For 1/8 motors, you normally want an esc with 120 amps and 4s lipo capabilities minimum, depending on the specific motor.