Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to racing in a club what tools should i get? >

New to racing in a club what tools should i get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to racing in a club what tools should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to racing in a club what tools should i get?

hey there new to racing in a club i live 3 hours away from it so it makes it hard to check with the other ppl what tools and stuff they bring to race meet's was wondering what tools, pit bag, spares crap like that do ppl bring to race day all i have is a nitro buggy and controller and tool box with about 5 tools' in it oh and fuel and a picnic blanket to work on the ground LOL let me tell you it was funny when ppl had table's and chair's and i'm sitting on the grass and working out the back of my car any advice would be super good
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Well get u a small folding table(light plastic one from lows, home depot, etc) and get a lug screwdriver, and drivers that fit all the screws your buggy has, and for tuning, and as for carry case, get a 10-15$ box from lowes as well lol and stick everything in there and then when u get to the track, u pull out the table and a chair, and u got a portable pitshop and then get a container like a sterilite or rubber made and put the nitro and the toolbox in and then put the lid on and the buggy on top and ur good to go haha
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

what about tools to setup the buggy ? how many tools would you get like Camber Gauge and Ride Height Gauge are they a must when racing?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

you can cut all that stuff out and get a high quality set of digital calipers. They will do almost everything. A lot of people do not measure camber, they set it to what looks right and make sure both links are equal.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks ill start with that then
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Johnny. A good set of tools is a must, its not how much you spend but how you spend it. Hex wrenches, nut drivers, body reamer, scissors, side cutters, needlenose plyers,ect. most easily bought and you local tool supply like home depot.
IMO- a set up board and set up station are great investments, or atleast the board to start.
A piece of 5mm clear hard plastic (god if i can remember the name at 4am) Is cheap and will be your best friend.
There is soo many ways to look at it. but there is some ideas. I bought is all over time, but what ever your running, I gather its offroad, see what your fellow racers have, has them questions.. LOTS of questions. The local racers should love wanting to help someone new.

I hope my 4am ramble helps. pm if you have questions. I dont mind helping.

Nick K
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Initiate

When i first started I used saw horses and a piece of plywood as my pit table ( no chairs or tent ) it got the job done but it's reeaal nice to have a real folding table , chair and a decent portable canopy. For a pit bag....regular plastic portable tool boxes work very well.
Or if you feel like spending you can get one of those Racers Edge or ProTek hauler bags huehue.

Now tools...hex/nut drivers, pliers, turnbuckle/wheel and plug wrench, flat head for tuning, maybe a brush or two and digital calipers - that's a good start imo.

Parts: Everything you think might break ( arms or other plastic parts, towers etc. ) bearings, clutch shoes-springs, glow plugs.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some people make these really awesome pit trailers. I've seen converted motor homes too. You can get as elaborate or as simple as you want.

I usually have a few friends that have room at their pit tables, so I only need to bring a folding chair most of the time. Make some new friends. Ask if you can pit with them. Hanging out and shooting the shhh in the pits with friends is one of the best parts of the hobby. You can also learn a ton, depending on who you pit near. Most racers I've met are happy to help if they are asked. Lending tools and parts and giving advice on tire selection and other setup help. I race with a pretty awesome group of people, but I would hope it's similar everywhere.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For tools, these are some of the necessities for racing:

1. Hex driver set
2. Nut driver set
3. Ride height gauge
4. Camber gauge
5. Digital calipers
6. Needle nose pliers

Those (IMO) are the necessities for racing.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

If you go racing don't forget your spare parts arms, wheel bearings, mounted tires, glow plugs etc. You don't want to call it a day just because you broke something on your buggy.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I would say a good set of hex drivers, in my experience Dynamite and Team Losi drivers work very well and are readily availible, worth the money. A lot better than the L wrenches that come with kits. Always keep extra glow plugs if running nitro. Nothing worse than not starting a main because of a glow plug problem. Mccoy #9's are a good base.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bring an extra kit with me, for 8th scale not many parts break but I like to have the insurance of having the extra parts. Tools just go with some dynamite tools. If you want to stay out of the sun most of the racers everywhere bring ezups, with a foldable chair. Be sure you have a good source of power, either bring your own generator or ask to use someone's and buy the gas for them. Or they will probably just let you use it for free. I also like to have a compressor to blow your car off to help with cleaning. Also tires, make sure you have good variety if the track changes conditions.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Also, remember with just about everything in RC, you get what you pay for. Check around for prices. If you see a set of tools on a site is $40.00, and you see one on another site for $10.00, chances are it isn't "a good deal". I personally stay around the middle quality tools, but splurge on some, such as temp guns, and such.