Wiki Posts
Search

charger/lipos

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default charger/lipos

It's been about 7 years since I got into R/C. I ran nitro before and it's just too messy (clean up) and leaves oil marks all over the floor. I'm finally coming back and getting into electric R/C. I purchased a used Losi SCTE roller and piecing all the parts. What do you guys recommend for a charger and lipos? I got the Tekin 4600 and RX8. thanks..
Old 05-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Suspended

budget ?
run times ?
how trigger happy r u ?

just messin..Ok that has a large scale of answers ..
I run 4000kv ,,I run fast agile light snappy with a 3300mah 65c(so said by maker.) upto some 6200mah 45c..but am fond of the 4500mah 40c for all around 7 min Q's and 10 min mains.
as for a charger..Duo are nice 1 big one the Icharger 4010 duo..I run schulze and a Venum 210 dual..6s 10amp x2 channel..<--never need more than a 18 minutes to charge my cells..normal 2c.. also a AP625..that's the all around ..always with me.
some will agree some will not ...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigdog69
budget ?
run times ?
how trigger happy r u ?

just messin..Ok that has a large scale of answers ..
I run 4000kv ,,I run fast agile light snappy with a 3300mah 65c(so said by maker.) upto some 6200mah 45c..but am fond of the 4500mah 40c for all around 7 min Q's and 10 min mains.
as for a charger..Duo are nice 1 big one the Icharger 4010 duo..I run schulze and a Venum 210 dual..6s 10amp x2 channel..<--never need more than a 18 minutes to charge my cells..normal 2c.. also a AP625..that's the all around ..always with me.
some will agree some will not ...
I came from nitro so all I did was add gas and kept on going (unless something broke). hahahha.

Is it better to get one that has AC/DC or one that requires a separate ps? I was looking at the Hyperion EOS 0720i
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

With that motor combo in that truck, most lipos under 5000mah will puff up fairly quickly due to the load.

For batteries, these have been great bang for buck batteries:
$45 Turnigy Nano-Tech 6600mah 65c

The SMC 7200's are what I run now if I want longer run times, but they're a bit more expensive (still very affordable though compared to many other brands though).

For a charger, almost anything will work for 2s.
However, I like to suggest 6amps or more and at least 80 watts so you get a decent charge rate (1c, or close) for most packs even into 4s sizes.
If you already have a DC power supply, or want to power the charger off of a battery, then this is a good low cost option:
$31 Turnigy Max80W 7A
But if you don't have a DC power supply, then an AC capable model is much more convenient, such as this:
$44 iMax B6 AC 50W 5A
or this:
$50 Thunder AC 680 80W 6A

If you prefer having a name brand, these are basically the same as the above:
$63 Hitec X1+ 50W 6A
Old 05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by justpoet
With that motor combo in that truck, most lipos under 5000mah will puff up fairly quickly due to the load.

For batteries, these have been great bang for buck batteries:
$45 Turnigy Nano-Tech 6600mah 65c

The SMC 7200's are what I run now if I want longer run times, but they're a bit more expensive (still very affordable though compared to many other brands though).

For a charger, almost anything will work for 2s.
However, I like to suggest 6amps or more and at least 80 watts so you get a decent charge rate (1c, or close) for most packs even into 4s sizes.
If you already have a DC power supply, or want to power the charger off of a battery, then this is a good low cost option:
$31 Turnigy Max80W 7A
But if you don't have a DC power supply, then an AC capable model is much more convenient, such as this:
$44 iMax B6 AC 50W 5A
or this:
$50 Thunder AC 680 80W 6A

If you prefer having a name brand, these are basically the same as the above:
$63 Hitec X1+ 50W 6A

thanks for the info. I haven't bought anything yet. Still looking/researching. I like not having a external power supply and the Thunder AC680 looks good.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It really depends on your budget, how many lipos, what capacity of your lipos, and how many packs you go through while driving. A good quality charger is never a bad investment in rc IMO as they allow you to have less lipos, charge faster and more accurately. They also tend to hold their value well so if at some point you decide to exit the hobby you can won't get hurt to bad.

All that said I vote for a high power setup. I have an icharger 306b and use a server power supply to give it juice. That particular charger is capable of outputting 1000w and 30a! I would look at Hyperion, icharger, and cellpro. They all make quality units that can pump out the amperage. You can pick up power supplies like I use on eBay for $20 a pair. You'll need to do some soldering as well as your research on how to wire them up correctly, but it's not overly difficult.

If you run a 6700mah pack a 6a charger can't even charge at 1C. 2C is what I usually charge my lipos at and this isn't going to hurt the lipo. Some are rated up to 5C charge rates. I wouldn't personally charge at those rates. If you had two 5000mah packs and wanted to charge both at 2C you need a charger capable of 20a.

Food for thought. If you are interested I will dig up some links on how to make the power supplies.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dirt_Burner
Food for thought. If you are interested I will dig up some links on how to make the power supplies.
I looked at the icharger too, 208b model I think. Thanks for the info. I also thought about converting a computer ps to work with a charger. I've seen the instructions and don't seem too difficult.

I guess it's a big hit in the wallet since I'm starting from scratch and all I have is an out dated radio. Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mazterlee
I came from nitro so all I did was add gas and kept on going (unless something broke). hahahha.

Is it better to get one that has AC/DC or one that requires a separate ps? I was looking at the Hyperion EOS 0720i
I was in your boat just about 8 months ago. Started out just hitting my local track then got into the race scene. Here is what I have learned as far as batteries go by the highest c rating you can affor it's the discharge of batteries that is hard on them. Huge MAH packs do you no real good in my scenario. The first batteries I bought were Hobby People 6500mah 70c started with two I abused them taken to LVC and charged back to back. 1 swelled and was toast after about 100 charges the other one is still good kinda puffed but still balances well. Since then I bought a Racer Edge 60C 5600mah seems good no puffing yet with about 50 charges and I just got in the mail two SMC batteries in the same range, I haven't tried them yet but they have good reviews. For practice I try to keep packs to ~10 minutes each that is a very safe discharge level for the packs I have and puts my batteries in a good storage mode charge, also keeps my motor temps in check. Long mains are 10 minutes so no worries there. As far as chargers go I started and am still using a hitec X1 charges at 6 amps max very slow takes about an hour for a good full balance charge, this works fine as long as I charge the day before racing. I am currently in the market for a duo with minimum of 10 amps per side this puts me in the DC with PS only category which I am OK with I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Suspended

sorry just dont agree with what was posted by poet.. I would not recomend a nanotech battery or any charger he listed all just POOR quality imho ..

as for chargers you can Over pay..just like batteries..a Good quality cell will last only if u have a charger that can charge it correctly ..and when u get into the large mah batterys u add alot of battery weight ..all what I listed will help u and you wont be buying new again in 1 month due to cheap stuff failing
search the nanotech feedback Oh thats right u can not cause when they have Negative Feedback they delete it..IMHO

sorry to be brash but someone has to be..50 watt 60 watt chargers are just not worth it.. same with junky over rated batterys..
I like the DC only units.. I build my own PS.. but the conversion u said does work well .. and maybe u can find one on trash night or ur local computer recycler has one for Free..heck 1 led 220 ohm resister and on off switch ..solder some wire together u got Good power..
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll look more into the DC supplied chargers that does 10+amps. I don't think I want to spent that much time charging batteries, especially if I have a few.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Hyperion 606i charger is what I use. I charge 2 thru 4s LiPo's, receiver batteries, starter box NiMH's and my backup glow starter. Great charger. I've run SMC, ThunderPower and Venom 2s LiPo's. The thunderpower seemed to work the best, but it was also the most expensive.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm the "cheap charger guy"

PS is a regulated LED lightstrip powersupply 230 W 25 bucks
Running 2 IMAX B6 (charging turnigy 4s 5000 at 1c)

Also connected my nitro engine heater

I'm happy with this setup, prob not the fastest, but cheap :-)
I'm never in a hurry to charge my batteries on a raceday and the whole setup cost me under 100 bucks last year.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for all the suggestions. currently i'm leaning towards the icharger 206B or the powerlab 6. I have a 500w computer ps that i'll convert to use it.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I just wanna put my $.0.02 in haha, I'm venom all the way, I have 2 venom pro plus chargers and 3 of the 5000 green lipos from them, have had em almost 2 and a half ish years and they are still kicking, no puff whatsoever and the chargers are still like new
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

I ended up ordering the Hyperion 720i AC/DC charger. It was a bit pricy but it's got both AC and DC input and does over 10+ Amps. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.