R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Rookie Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone-7/)
-   -   Best RC tool set? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rookie-zone/726568-best-rc-tool-set.html)

cripplethreat 05-01-2013 10:35 AM

Best RC tool set?

Could anyone help me out? I was gonna get the Dynamite set but the reviews I've read aren't good.

kaiser 05-01-2013 10:43 AM

hudy or ed's are probably the best, but you dont NEED the best.
i have associateds factory team tools for my most used stuff and i use a mix of stuff for the rest. nothing wrong with the dynamite tools, sure they are cheap but they are better then allen wrenches and super cheap knock off tools.

EricW 05-01-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 12105951)
hudy or ed's are probably the best, but you dont NEED the best.
i have associateds factory team tools for my most used stuff and i use a mix of stuff for the rest. nothing wrong with the dynamite tools, sure they are cheap but they are better then allen wrenches and super cheap knock off tools.

I have the Team Associated FT set as well. Decent set of tools, however the 1/16th driver tip is soft and will round out. I plan to slowly replace this set with some Hudy drivers.

SSG.House 05-01-2013 12:31 PM

I had the Dynamite set, and they are workable. Sometimes the handle won't lock the bit in place, and other times it won't release lol. Its a good set for the price. I basically used it to tear my slash 4x4 apart to mount the tekno M6, replace the broken stock a arms with rpm, and rpm bumper....no problem till my tool set disapeered. I put my SCT 410 kit together with the stock tool kit from my slash. My hands hurt, and i ripped my house apart in fits of rage looking in vane. I need a new tool kit lol

lappdawg27 05-01-2013 01:13 PM

"Best" is probably gonna mean expensive..but, good tools will last a lifetime. Originally I bought a set of integy hex drivers and while they were ok, I rounded the tips off and had to replace them at least twice. A year ago I decided to buy the Thorp/MIP drivers and let me tell you, it was so worth it. I never round out hex screws and the tips are still perfect on them. A few guys around here have their original ones from the 80s and they still work fine!!

Cpt.America 05-01-2013 03:17 PM

The best allen/hex tools on the market, are MIP/thorp drivers. Even the hudys aren't up to par.

mingoglia 05-01-2013 04:25 PM

Personally I think the Dynamite set that have the aluminum handles and come in the case are pretty good. Similar to these:
http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...3A%3A349nu0mrj

This Dynamite set is a lot crappier:
http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/ekmps/sho...n2819-31-p.jpg

asc6000 05-01-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 12106849)
The best allen/hex tools on the market, are MIP/thorp drivers. Even the hudys aren't up to par.

X that
Hex wrenches are by far the most used/worn
and you don't need a whole set
just get the 2-3 most used sizes
I have 20 year old MIP and the tips look new

even cheap tools have their place
I use those dynamite ones too, the handle rotates and it has a nice grip.

Oh, and clean ALL the dirt out of the head of the hex screw BEFORE you ever touch a wrench to it.

theblitzkidd 05-01-2013 08:25 PM

I have the pink ones and I love em!!! The dynamite ones

RChobbyist1234 05-02-2013 04:33 PM

I have invested in a couple of small tool kit's (first kit cost me $20, and the second $25). Both sets seem to be not too bad. Even though they are not leading brand's, and didn't cost me much, I still got the tools i need for the money I spent.

But in hindsight, I am going to be investing in some longer lasting tools. My question is this. How much should I expect to spend on a decent set of typical "tools of the trade?"

I don't mind spending the money providing I get what I need. Any kind of help would be excellent.

Thanks,

RChobbyist1234.

Racing4Evo 05-02-2013 04:45 PM

MIP is the best, period!

If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying or haven't used the tools long enough. Every seasoned racer will have at least one MIP wrench and I'm willing to bet it's the orginal purchased tool and most likely the oldest one in their pit box.

I too have 10 year old MIP wrenches that hardly have any wear on the tip.

asc6000 05-02-2013 05:10 PM

MIP hex drivers are $15 ish
90% of the normal maintenance wrenching I do is with one size....
you don't need a lot of tools

RevoRacer50 05-02-2013 05:39 PM

If your looking for cheap and will last I use align heli tools and have been for years

TurboTim 05-02-2013 05:54 PM

Mip is good stuff you can't go wrong with there tools

sdtech58 05-02-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by asc6000 (Post 12107361)

Oh, and clean ALL the dirt out of the head of the hex screw BEFORE you ever touch a wrench to it.

+1. I got a set of dental picks just for this purpose. I've used the Dynamite hex drivers for years and love them. The MIP's are top-notch, though.

Maybe the popular size MIP's for major wrenching at home and a set of Dynamite's for the pit/bashing box?