Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How to clean grease off/out of differential and housing >

How to clean grease off/out of differential and housing

How to clean grease off/out of differential and housing

Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Lolcanoe
Contact/carb/brake cleaner followed by a simple green bath works for me. Chunks out the thick grease and the pressure from the little red straws gets in the hard to clean corners.
Just be sure not to get the stuff in your eyes when using the "little red straw"because they can make that stuff travel in all directions!!!!
Originally Posted by alexchen86
Use any generic carb cleaner...cheap plus comes in huge aerosol cans! It's a great degreaser and safe on plastics differential housings. Electrical spray/cleaner is actually hit/miss yes it will degrease but it may also eat into your plastic and lexan plus lexan paints with the last generic brand I picked up from Harbor Freight.

Or use Tuff Stuff aersol from Walmart or something comes in a big yellow can. Spray liberally cover your entire rig. Then blow off with air compressor. Finish with light WD-40 if you want...it will look brand new! This is how I clean my Baja 5B and 5T after a full day's worth of running on a muddy track!!

Just make sure your electronic boxes are sealed! Tuff stuff is also great on removing
stains from your car carpet/seats/etc!

For making wheels/tires look brand new take a firm nylon brush and use a 50/50 Simple Green mix. Pour half it out into another bottle for next time and fill the original bottle with just regular water. Scrub with nylon brush after letting the chemical soak the wheels and tires for even one minute. Won't damage anything and look brand new once you're done!
This is true, walmart is ur friend for all sort of inexpensive cleaners hahaha
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all, anyone try TSP?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stryder162
Hi all, anyone try TSP?
Not sure what that is... I have used several products over the years, but I prefer any brand of nitro aerosol cleaner, I think duratrax power shot? Is one of the ones I use, and there is another similar product from dynamite Power Kleen? Any of them will work, including house hold cleaners like simple green. I typically disassemble the diff, and put the parts in a fine mesh kitchen strainer and spray all the pieces down with the cleaner I am using, then scrub all of the parts with a tooth brush, respray again, and wipe the parts down. I stopped using Q-tips, and paper towels, and now rely soley on a tooth brush, and Amazon has towels called surgical towels that are very sturdy, that can be washed over, and over again. Another good cleaner is called CLP, it is used most commonly on firearms. Clp stands for Cleaner Protectant Lube.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

CRC CO Contact Cleaner,

Safe for plastic, clean grease and oil easly and drys fast. Works well for me.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Get in there with a q tip man.