Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Which one is faster, 1/8 or 1/10 ? >

Which one is faster, 1/8 or 1/10 ?

Like Tree2Likes

Which one is faster, 1/8 or 1/10 ?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

cheers hpikillr for the positive response to what i thought was a pretty good question.

you go ahead and give a beginner advice on how to cook his brand new toy.

I have raced both electric 1/8th and 1/10th... 1/8th is much faster, more stable and easier to control, much better for jumping and can handle a dodgy landing without falling apart...

but us aussies have no idea what we are talking about!! So don't listen to me...
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hpikillr View Post
1/10 scale hands down.. drop a 4.5T brsuhless and say bye to any 1/8 scale buggy..dont care how many cell u put on a 2200kv.. can not touch a [email protected] 2 cell..

Heres your easy math..LOL

8.4v X 9000kv=75.600 rpms
6 cell=25.2v x 2200=55440 rpms wow thats 20,000 rpms short then add the low gear ratio and ur even less rpms..

simple math..gotta love how the auzzy add.. NEGATIVELY..

get real auzzy .. 1/10 is faster by far....2x faster

1/10 scale the fastest..
Without taking into account internal gear ratios and tire diameter, not to mention load vs theoretical RPM, all of this is meaningless.

OP, sounds like you are on a good track. 2wd 1/10th buggy is a great choice to build driving skills (harder to drive) then 4wd and you will be a better driver in the end because of it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-06-2021, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

So which one is faster?? 1/8 or 1/10? I'm getting conflicting answers here, and I really need to know.

Also, what brand is the best? I had a 1/10 Losi Desert Truck (now discontinued) that got smashed in a race, so I need to get a new one. Should I go with Losi or Redcat or ARRMA, etc?

Thanks y'all
Old 10-06-2021, 09:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastnloud1 View Post
So which one is faster?? 1/8 or 1/10? I'm getting conflicting answers here, and I really need to know.

Also, what brand is the best? I had a 1/10 Losi Desert Truck (now discontinued) that got smashed in a race, so I need to get a new one. Should I go with Losi or Redcat or ARRMA, etc?

Thanks y'all
8 years between post. Arises.

If fast is what looking for. Look at the Arrma
Old 10-07-2021, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, that's pretty much what happens when you go searching for forum posts on that topic. You find a thread that's been inactive for 8 years.
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-07-2021, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
8 years between post. Arises.

If fast is what looking for. Look at the Arrma
[delete]

Last edited by AHR43; 10-07-2021 at 06:42 AM. Reason: [delete]
Old 10-07-2021, 06:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Another question for whoever's watching: The ARRMA Mojave any good? What about the Losi Baja Rey Ford Raptor? Just trying to decide... and I'm not about to go buy both!
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2021, 08:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Another question for whoever's watching: The ARRMA Mojave any good? What about the Losi Baja Rey Ford Raptor? Just trying to decide... and I'm not about to go buy both!
Thanks!
Iíve got the Baja Rey. 1/10. Not the big one. I did not understand the appeal of solid axle until driving it. Itís a bit of a pain to work on. Lots of screws holding that body/cage in place. Works good on 2s. 3s seemed to cause problems with the original. Donít know if Losi address that in later versions.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks y'all

1/8th has a bigger motor and accepts more battery cells. it's like comparing a V6 to a V8. Sure, it can be close, but the V8 will pull away. The bigger one can produce more power. With handling, the bigger the car, the better it is to control. it's wider and weighs more.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, so I will probably be going with the 1/8 model. I just found out that pretty much all of Losi's 1/8 cars are either discontinued or sold out, so idk what I'm gonna do. Probably get the ARRMA. But I'm a (distant) member of TLR... Might just have to get a 1/10 for now. Thanks for all the info y'all!
Old 10-12-2021, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It must be getting close to Halloween since a zombie thread came back to life...lol

To seriously answer the question, larger scale off-road vehicles will typically handle rougher or non-prepared surfaces better than something that is 1/10 or smaller. But the problem with larger scale vehicles is that they also typically have more mass. It takes more energy to get this mass to start. This means bigger batteries and more powerful electronics which costs more. This extra mass can also mean more damage to itself or the things the vehicle might hit, including people. The larger vehicles may take a bit more distance to get up to speed, so they may not be fun to play with unless you have enough room.

But everything I've said is basically irrelevant without knowing where and how someone wants to play with their RC equipment. The fastest official RC vehicle in the world isn't a large scale kit but a vehicle that originally evolved from a 1/10 on-road platform. Here is a link... https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...-model-car-(rc). While that is certainly a cool car, it wouldn't be much fun to play with on your average street, dirt lot, or abandoned field.

The question everyone should ask first is what is the best TYPE of RC vehicle to get for the place that I will typically use it. There are plenty of people having more fun than most of us that are racing Kyosho Mini-Zs on their basement or garage track without ever having to leave their house. Those vehicles are 1:28 scale.

Ultimately pick something that you think is cool and have fun with it. Speed can be fun for many of us, but remember eventually it will have to turn to come back to you, unless you are into RC trail driving (where you are always walking/following behind your vehicle).

So to close this post...
- Figure out where you will use the vehicle before you buy and pick an appropriate vehicle for that venue
- Figure out a reasonable budget you are comfortable with
- Know that you can make most quality r/c vehicles of any size go as fast or as slow as you want (may require replacing/upgrading components)
- Don't listen to people online
- Buy something/anything and get out of the house and have some fun!
Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Great word!. I'm going with a Baja Rey Ford Raptor from Losi for the time being, then will get an ARRMA 1/7 Mojave 6s.

Thanks for all the help y'all, and sorry for opening an ancient thread lol.

*Thread Closed*