Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jumping

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Default jumping

With jumping i have come to the conclusion that over-revving seems to be best when leaving a jump as opposed to letting off the throttle early (of course this does not mean extreme revving in silly situations) Brakes have a much quicker and more dramatic reaction to the vehicle in air than does throttle. It lets it level out the vehicle more quickly. If it lands off *too wheelie-style* then the front end's weight will help stabalize quicky. Otherwise it will nose-dive with the force of the rear of the vehicle pushing down onto it.

Is this what you guys do? I just screech at the sound of these little engines putting out those RPMs, im new to the nitro world and thats probably why, and i hate commanding that much gas intake *to level it out in mid air* when there is no load on the engine. I know a good logic based decision is always a factor on different jumps, and sometimes its good to just let off the throttle for a good flat landing without too much needed control.

I guess im just looking for tips on jumping
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

*this is my opinion*
in offroad racing jumping can be tough for people to learn but this is what i have come to the conclusion from racing and driving a bunch plus 8 years of racing motocross
many different factors alter the way your car reacts when jumping. spring tension, steepness of the face and distance all will determine your throttle control and your line choice. For me personally no matter how big or small the jump is smooth throttle control is extremely important especially with a 2wd nitro truck choose a good line and be smooth and the truck should fly smoothly, try to let off the gas as soon as you leave the take off, the natural engine brake in the motor should keep you straight. Other than that if things go wrong in the air I will apply throttle if I am nose low or I will apply brake if I am nose high. more or less throttle depending on how bad you messed up on the takeoff other than that you got the idea but everyone is different
Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Initiate

i know these trucks are made to not break all the time ... but isnt revving the engine with no load just to balance the vehicle bad on the motor?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

From what I hear, yes revving the motor with no load on the motor can damge your motor internally.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

i guess the question is how bad is it? is it worth revving it for those burst with no load to land a jump correctly like on all the videos ive seen?i know that it wont all blow up from revving on one jump .... but even after a day the no load engine strain adds up. am i just being too stupid and not allowing myself to have fun?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You have almost no choice but to rev the engine, but keep it sensible. Don't nail it if you can't save the jump. A broken arm is easier to fix than a broken rod. I've really bashed some engines before, and it is only the sustained high RPM that is a problem in this situation.

Last edited by Phatkat; 05-10-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

DOWNLOAD THIS VIDEO of YUICHI KANAI with his MP777

http://dakotathunderrc.net/photos/Ph...rno_MP_777.wmv

FULL 4 mins of YUICHII KANAI DRIVING... you can hear his throttle control during coners, his handling during JUMPS and the coolest is his recovering techniques after a BIG FLIP and recover to continue the RACE...

all shots are CLOSE UP!!!!

included in this vid also a DEMO / EXHIBITION BUGGY RACE with BIG JUMPS and FLIPS during the RCX in ANAHEIM CONVENTION CTR APRIL 2004!!!!!

AWESOME VIDZ!!!

mop