Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
RC reciever ESC and twin motors hook up >

RC reciever ESC and twin motors hook up

RC reciever ESC and twin motors hook up

Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile RC reciever ESC and twin motors hook up

I have a question about making my own remote control robot.

Apologies if I should be posting elsewhere/finding answers in other threads, please redirect me if so.

Now i have the following, and a few options to put it all together. I'm new to all this stuff so don't know much.

I have:
(sorry cant post URLs)

Arduino Uno
Motor Drive Shield L293D
Tamiya #70108 Tracked Vehicle Chassis Kit
Tamiya #70168 Double GearBox L/R Independent 4 speed
SG90 9G Servos
Arduino UltraSonic Distance Measuring Modules
Electronic Speed Controller
RC Transmitter and Reciever Combo

Now I want to make a robot that I can control using the RC transmitter.

Not sure yet if I need the motors etc hooked up to the Arduino, or if I'll use that simply to add sensors etc onto as I make it more complicated.

Now my question ..

I'm using the double gear box because I figure that if i can make one motor go, and the other one not, I can make the tracked wheels turn. Does this make sense, and will it work? If it will work, how do I hook up the ESC, Reciever, and motors, so that when i use the transmitter, it turns etc how i want it to.

Or do I need to let the tracks just run in a straight line, and use a servo and other set of wheels to control turning?

Any suggestions/ideas on how I can make my robot work, with all these. I'm gonna add on sensors and modules later on for random things, but not really concerned with that at the moment. Just need to be able to control the motors and movement of my robot through the transmitter receiver esc and twin motors at the moment.

Please help!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It will be easiest to make the tracks run the same and use something else for steering. However, I think what you want to do can be done but you'll need a radio with a lot of rock-crawling "mixing" features to do so, i.e. one like the Futaba 4PL. Take a look at the description of what those do in the manual here: http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/4pl-2_4ghz-manual.pdf and see if that might be of any help. It will also likely take 2 ESC's to do so.

However, that would be all be for a larger sized and much more expensive project - the little Tamiya kits generally are what they are and are not worth going to such measures.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

As far as setting up the speed control goes I would think that you would need 2 individual speed controls, one to control each motor. This would probably be the easiest way to go. A dual stick radio that has at least 4 channels should do you good, where both sticks have vertical axis for simplicity. You could connect each of those receiver channels to a speed control and from there be able to program each speed control. It would be exactly like a "rebound" from back in the day.

Every sensor that you want to switch on or off will have to be passed through the radio and receiver at some point in time. You just need to understand how the receiver passes signals through and be able to program your adruino board to switch on the device or feature.

Definitely easier said than done, just make sure you try to breadboard everything and test your code prior to your final build to avoid mistakes....or at least so that you can find them.

Hope this helps, I have minimal experience from building a small robot for myself.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when i made my Robot.. 6 wheels.. I used a 8 channel radio.. solved all my problems ..I also used 2-25 amp ubec.. to power all..it was chain drive with reverse.. made it turn faster throwing esc's in reverse..also all the extra channels gave me options on arms or other devices of chaos..just make sure u remove the POSITIVE ESC wire most are the center wire or red ..