R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Suspended

Post tekin rs tunning help?

hey guy's I've gotta rustler powered by a tekin rs esc and a redline 13.5 brushless motor with a 12.5 hi tourqe rotor, im looking to turn it in to an allterrain rc (medium off-road lenth tracks, backyard, and on road maybe 50 mph but a somewhat tourqey low-mid range. I would like suggestions on what timing and especialy gearing, I run sensored only cause I want the turbo an boost. im currently running 83 spur 28 pinion mid can timing low hotwire timing not tryin to run too hot as I drive the crap out of it just wanna smooth ass rcc ... please throw your opinions at me. sincerely batman.
i like lamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Suspended

Exclamation

just lookin for other ideas
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Your not gonna hit 50mph with a 13.5t motor. No matter what kind of gearing you throw at it. If you want to do speed runs check it out on youtube there's some guys that are getting way above 50mph, but the other question is if you want to be able to turn or not....or even control the truck.

Your gonna want a lower turn motor. I think you can go all the way down to a 5.5 turn motor with the tekin rs. If you want some low end torque check out the newer 4 pole motors that are coming out. Trinity has their revtech 4 pole series which is suppose to be pretty killer. If you do go that route you'll need a speed control that can take the amperage as well as deal with the faster switching from the sensor.
HB TC-FD, SP Reventon Pro, Tekin 8.5 * Xray XB4 Orion R10 Pro, Fantom 6.5
adamym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamym View Post
Your not gonna hit 50mph with a 13.5t motor. No matter what kind of gearing you throw at it. If you want to do speed runs check it out on youtube there's some guys that are getting way above 50mph, but the other question is if you want to be able to turn or not....or even control the truck.

Your gonna want a lower turn motor. I think you can go all the way down to a 5.5 turn motor with the tekin rs. If you want some low end torque check out the newer 4 pole motors that are coming out. Trinity has their revtech 4 pole series which is suppose to be pretty killer. If you do go that route you'll need a speed control that can take the amperage as well as deal with the faster switching from the sensor.
or 10.5 9.5 thnx bro
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like lamp View Post
or 10.5 9.5 thnx bro
for the speed you want i would go with a 6.5 or 7.5
rcduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A regular rs is rated for 7.5 turn or higher and I believe that rating is meant for lighter weight vehicles than a rustler. http://www.teamtekin.com/rs.html

RS Pro is rated down to 2.5 turn, but I would not go below 5.5 with an RS Pro and that would only be with more than 1 capacitor and a fan blowing on the posts.

They do not work well with low turn motors. ESC will overheat.

In a TC with the right gearing and fairly close to max boost and turbo, a 13.5 could get pretty close to 50mph. I think a Rustler weighs a lot more than the average touring car though.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
A regular rs is rated for 7.5 turn or higher and I believe that rating is meant for lighter weight vehicles than a rustler. http://www.teamtekin.com/rs.html

RS Pro is rated down to 2.5 turn, but I would not go below 5.5 with an RS Pro and that would only be with more than 1 capacitor and a fan blowing on the posts.

In a TC with the right gearing and fairly close to max boost and turbo, a 13.5 could get pretty close to 50mph. I think a Rustler weighs a lot more than the average touring car though.
thanks for the info man, later on ill get a gene 2, 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5 motor but for now ive got my 13.5 an I like it im just having trouble figuring what gearing to use with what I have (90, 86, 83 spur, 19, 21, 23, 25, 26, 28, 31, 32 pinion's), and what to tune it too via hotwire,most important what end rpm my motor has the 12.5 hi trq rotor, all timing advance turbo boost, throttle profile, mine feels like it should feel better.. I only want like 40 or 45, realy I just want it to make power correctly form start to end rpm, mine feels like it's got nice tourqe for doghnuts then runs slow it has a weak midrange and laggy top end.

my current gearing is 86 or 83 spur, 28 pinion. maybe I should see what the 90 spur feels like ehh?

Last edited by i like lamp; 01-30-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: 90
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Suspended

Quote:

I just bash it, driftin turns in the backyard seein how fast I can go in the street.. in time I will definitely get the rx8 with pro 4 motor but right now I have to get this system running right.

Last edited by i like lamp; 01-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
for the speed you want i would go with a 6.5 or 7.5
well read the other stuff I wrote on my post, its more less just timing and gearing it right 40 45 mph maybe then. I just want it to run smooth. thnx for yer reply also
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced a fair bit of 13.5 boosted TC. Occasionally still do.

I generally gear my TCs between 7 and 7.5 FDR for 13.5 boosted. With 46-50 boost, range 5K-20K, 10-14 turbo (ramp 2, delay almost 0)

If you are using 83/28, your FDR is currently 8.06 (IR on a rustler is 2.72). Given the extra weight, I'd expect that to be around where you want to be. You can probably give it some more boost and turbo, just be careful the motor isn't getting too hot.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
I raced a fair bit of 13.5 boosted TC. Occasionally still do.

I generally gear my TCs between 7 and 7.5 FDR for 13.5 boosted. With 46-50 boost, range 5K-20K, 10-14 turbo (ramp 2, delay almost 0)

If you are using 83/28, your FDR is currently 8.06 (IR on a rustler is 2.72). Given the extra weight, I'd expect that to be around where you want to be. You can probably give it some more boost and turbo, just be careful the motor isn't getting too hot.
thank you that was very helpful, ive got my end rpm set to 28,000 and start rpm set at 9,000 something, what do you think a good end rpm would be?