Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to R/C Racing >

New to R/C Racing

New to R/C Racing

Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C Racing

Hello All,

This is my first post and I tried to do a little research before posting, but haven't quite found what I am looking for.

My brother and I have been racing karts for 10 years, but have decided to hang up the helmet.... Instead, we would like to try our hand at RC racing. The reason is mostly the cost of kart racing (not that RC racing is undeniably cheaper), but now we can also get our dad in to racing. He's a little bigger of a guy and wouldn't be competitive in the karts.

We plan on running a electric short course trucks (at least eventually). More than likely we will run 4x4, but haven't ruled out a 2wd as it is the most popular at my local track.

My questions are:
1.) Are we even allowed to jump right into the SC trucks, or do we need to run some sort of novice class first? Does a novice class require a specific vehicle and/or motor?

2.) What can I expect from my fellow racers in terms of competitiveness, helpfulness, attitude towards the newb, etc.

3.) What sorts of spares should we carry? We know we are going to break stuff, but what are the most common parts broke?

4.) We would want keep our electronics decent shape for at least 3/4 - 1year, so what sort of temps should we be running for a little more durable motor/esc but still be fairly competitive?

5.) We are going to mostly be concerned with turning decent, clean laps before upgrading the trucks, but is there anything I should upgrade or be concerned about immediately?

6.) What is the on track etiquette? We have a good feel for the karts, but maybe RC is different while running on the track.

7.) Race format? In karts we ran two heats and a feature with field inversion for the first two heats? We also ran caution laps and a rolling start. I have noticed that RC racing doesn't look to do the same thing. It appears to be based more on time and how many laps you can complete. Is there a standard format? Or does it depend on the local raceway? We do plan on going to ask several of these questions to the local tracks within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading my post and answering. If you have any other suggestions for a new guy or even want to reflect on the first time you raced, I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Answers are in red below
Originally Posted by aniedert36 View Post
Hello All,

This is my first post and I tried to do a little research before posting, but haven't quite found what I am looking for.

My brother and I have been racing karts for 10 years, but have decided to hang up the helmet.... Instead, we would like to try our hand at RC racing. The reason is mostly the cost of kart racing (not that RC racing is undeniably cheaper), but now we can also get our dad in to racing. He's a little bigger of a guy and wouldn't be competitive in the karts.

We plan on running a electric short course trucks (at least eventually). More than likely we will run 4x4, but haven't ruled out a 2wd as it is the most popular at my local track.

My questions are:
1.) Are we even allowed to jump right into the SC trucks, or do we need to run some sort of novice class first? Does a novice class require a specific vehicle and/or motor?
Novice usually is a 2wd drive vehicle, but at my local track my 8 year old runs his 4x4 slash at 42% throttle and does ok. There are different classes so it really just depends on the turnout for the day. Since my son was put in expert Sunday we started him last during the qualifying heats.

2.) What can I expect from my fellow racers in terms of competitiveness, helpfulness, attitude towards the newb, etc.If you are running in an advance class you will get smoked your first few times out. Racers are that good. However, again, when my 8 year old runs (the other day there was no novice) nobody complained. We all told him just drive down the middle, and if a faster car is coming slow down, but don't stop. Allow him to pass so you don't wreck him. He did fine. The most advanced guys took time to say congrats, let me help with your car setup, come see how I am setup, etc.I was amazed on how much everyone was friendly. It's a good thing because they are in a sense promoting the hobby. Who wants to race the same guys every weekend? My son's first heat ever everyone ran 20 laps and he had 12. Know what some guys did? They came up to him and said congrats and gave him words of encouragement. To him that meant more than winning.

3.) What sorts of spares should we carry? We know we are going to break stuff, but what are the most common parts broke? A-Arms, tire glue, body pins (by the body pin tether kits. Definitely worth it. Spare tires if you can afford it. (We ran the stock tires two weekends until we could get tires) Extra batteries. I always top off but right now only have one lip and had to use the Nimh for one heat and car drove completely different.

4.) We would want keep our electronics decent shape for at least 3/4 - 1year, so what sort of temps should we be running for a little more durable motor/esc but still be fairly competitive?Running stock slash ultimate so temps haven't been a concern yet.

5.) We are going to mostly be concerned with turning decent, clean laps before upgrading the trucks, but is there anything I should upgrade or be concerned about immediately? Tires make all the difference I have come to learn. Find out what fellow racers run to get an idea of what will work. So many options with tires, wheels, foams, etc. Suspension setup. Chassis is huge too. Running a slash has a high center of gravity so it rolls. Getting a truck from Losi, Traxxas, etc. with a LCG Chassis would deifinitely help.

6.) What is the on track etiquette? We have a good feel for the karts, but maybe RC is different while running on the track. See above about faster cars.

7.) Race format? In karts we ran two heats and a feature with field inversion for the first two heats? We also ran caution laps and a rolling start. I have noticed that RC racing doesn't look to do the same thing. It appears to be based more on time and how many laps you can complete. Is there a standard format? Or does it depend on the local raceway? We do plan on going to ask several of these questions to the local tracks within the next couple of weeks.
You typically run heats using a transponder in your car. It's how many laps you can get in during a 5-6 minute heat. Time is the tiebreaker. Each person is called off to start and when you cross the line is when your time starts. If there are more than 7 cars they probably will split it then into an A main and B main. Those are like formula one starts. Everyone goes at the sound of the tone and can create a pile up or two in the first corner.

Thanks for reading my post and answering. If you have any other suggestions for a new guy or even want to reflect on the first time you raced, I would really appreciate the help.

I am new to this too and learning as I go but I spent an entire day with my son at the track on Sunday and it was just a good, fun day. Watching him race was exciting, but just spending the day in the pits,talking with other guys was great. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Although I am from the UK, my guide to r/c racing should be fairly similar, except for the UK BRCA part/s.

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/blog-ca...knowledge-base

Hope it helps somewhat and that your your r/c journey goes well for you!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

aniedert36.. your Q's are good.. But as for track ediquitte that will all depend on what track you run at..IE Dirtburners or Larry's..

Most places they have a Novice class thats outa the box..no upgrades..except radio and battery some allow a servo change as long as you run stock servo saber..

as for temps not to worry as stock setup no need to worry about HEAT..but for brushless.. 165 degrees is ur max motor temp..most brushless esc have fans and temp cutoffs..180 degrees on ESC is my max..

as for batteries not all batteries are created equal although mah and C rating might say they are..see what racers are running best way to get a good pack..I like Kokum cells..sky lipo..gens ace..and SMC( best 4 me)

also a GOOD name brand radio will help u alot..

Last edited by hpikillr; 01-30-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just to put my 2 cents in. For the novice class it will be run what you got. Some tracks even have you qualify to be in the stock classes or mod classes.

Mainly it'll be up to you to determine if your ready to step up into the any of the other classes. I actually never got to race a novice class mainly because the novice class was filled with short course trucks and I had a buggy. It was just learning racer's etiquette to keep other racer's happy.

In respect to electronics lasting the year or not, most esc's and motors will last without a question. The more questionable electronics are the radio and receiver. Most of the radios and/or receivers that come with the ready to run vehicles are pretty much the absolute cheapest radio system that you can get. I've seen the Team Associated radio system go out in a day. The traxxas receivers break ridiculously easy. Other cheap brand radios don't have the latency to actually let you drive your car. For example, when you want to turn left and you turn the wheel to the left, it takes the car an extra second before the car actually wants to turn.

Once you get into the hobby I suggest learning how to build kits, and prefer kits over race rollers or ready to run models. This way you learn about the car's mechanics as well as becoming proficient at assembling and disassembling the car without question.

For any RTR setup, go through the entire car and check all of the parts and screws. For better response from an rtr setup you'll want to upgrade the radio system and servo for maximum effect and find the correct tires to match the surface your driving on.

There's definitely a lot to take in, but just take one step at a time, never be afraid to ask the local racers about tips and tricks that will help you on your way to becoming a racer. More times than not they are always going to be willing to help you out.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aniedert36 View Post

Heats are generally done in what's called "IFMAR" Style (International Federation of Model Auto Racers or something like that).

There are two clocks, a master clock and a personal clock.

Generally for a heat you can line up anywhere on the track, in no particular order. When the tone or horn sounds, the master clock starts counting down - usually 4 minutes.

When you cross the start/finish line the first time, your own personal clock starts counting down for the same amount of time.

In heats, you are racing against the clock. Once the master clock has run out, you keep racing until your personal clock also runs out (everyone will be a few seconds apart). So everyone runs for 4 minutes from the time they crossed the starting line, and then finishes their final lap so it's completely even all around and fair. You want to turn as many laps as possible within your personal clock. Racers qualify by who can do the most laps in the least amount of time.

The feature (we call them main events or "mains" for short in R/C) will have everyone start in order on a staggered grid based on how you qualified. It may be a race to a set amount of laps - say a race to 75 laps - or a race in a time format, with usually more time than the heats. Either way, finishing position is all that matters!!

Generally, track size precludes everyone from racing at the same time, so mains will be broken down into groups of 8 or 10 people or whatever. The fastest people make up the "A" main, the next fastest group races in the "B" main....etc...etc. The slowest mains usually run first, and the fastest mains run last. The reason for this is to allow for bump-ups.

"Bump ups" may be offered. This means that if 2 bumps are allowed, the the top two finishers in the main get bumped into the next main. So for example, the "C" main will be run. The people finishing in the first and second position will also get to run another main event. They will "bump-up" into the B-main and have a chance to compete there. The top 2 of the B-main will bump into the A. This is done to allow for the mains to truly represent the fastest drivers of equal ability and not penalize those fast drivers that may have had car trouble or whatever in qualifying.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Giving up karting no way........We did just the opposite. We still have a couple of r/c's but the racing part is done for now. Is your kart club limited to certian classes? We have classes for all age groups. All of the R/c racers that went to karting here run chonda. cheap and competive. The persons weight isn't an issue because lighter karts and racers require restrictors. My friend at 280# plus kart gets to run unrestricted while his son has to run a .500 restrictor and add weights. Anyway enjoy r/c it's a blast check out your local tracks there's lots of good people that race and will help with any questions you have. Go on race days you can get an idea of how it's run and check out what the faster drivers use. If your getting rid of anything kart related let me know I usually have a good market for everything.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default welcome

I would invest in very good charger, love my hyperion, and radio system, 4pl. Their is a track to the north of you AMS. Stop in any day and talk to the owner mike, im sure he will be more than helpfull. Also they race on wednesday and friday nights. Also racing these is alot likr other forms if a faster guy comes up on me i will give him room and expect the same from other drivers. Hope this helps and this is the best site for a new guy to look around.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All i want to say is DONT BUY A SLASH 2WD OR 4WD TO RACE, go with a sc10 or 22sct or sc10 4x4 or losi scte or scte2.0
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by texair View Post
Giving up karting no way........We did just the opposite. We still have a couple of r/c's but the racing part is done for now. Is your kart club limited to certian classes? We have classes for all age groups. All of the R/c racers that went to karting here run chonda. cheap and competive. The persons weight isn't an issue because lighter karts and racers require restrictors. My friend at 280# plus kart gets to run unrestricted while his son has to run a .500 restrictor and add weights. Anyway enjoy r/c it's a blast check out your local tracks there's lots of good people that race and will help with any questions you have. Go on race days you can get an idea of how it's run and check out what the faster drivers use. If your getting rid of anything kart related let me know I usually have a good market for everything.
Yeah, we are giving it up. Tires are the expensive part and you need to have like 4 or 5 sets on you at all time. I mean you can get a season out of the tires, but replacing tires at the end of the season usually costs around 1500 alone. The prep time alone in tires is kind of the deal breaker for us. We would spend several hours on tires a week trying to get stagger correct. (Growing and shrinking them in ovens).

They do have several classes and usually if you can get 4 or more karts, they will create a class. That's problem though, especially for my dad. We got tired of running with only 3 or 4 other guys. For my dad, he would have been lucky to even find one other guy to race.

We want something we can race with several guys at the local track AND something my brother, dad and I can race against one another in the back yard. That and being able to race in the winter is an added benefit.

Bottom line, we thought this was more bang for our buck.

P.S. We run 1/8 mile clay ovals. The chassis are Left turn only. So let me know if you want any of this stuff. My equipment is top of the line. Chassis is a 2012 and was only ran 7 races last year.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TheRcKid17 View Post
All i want to say is DONT BUY A SLASH 2WD OR 4WD TO RACE, go with a sc10 or 22sct or sc10 4x4 or losi scte or scte2.0
LOl, I got a 2WD slash for Christmas and it's sort of what is making the decision easier for us. Definitely not race worthy from what I can tell. The VCG alone looks to be like 2 inches higher than it needs to be.

You're right though. Right now, we are considering the Associated or the Tekno 4x4 offerings. We would consider the Losi, but the track(s) we will be running are pretty tight and technical.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default slash

keep it, if you get the itch to run one during the week use that truck and save your race vehicles for the weekend and just drive the hell out of the slash. plus the more wheel time you get the better you will be.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

My son is running the 4x4 slash. Rolling over somewhat but not doing bad with it.
Beating the heck out of it but there are guys at the track that use a slash with a lower chassis and are running great. The new LCG slash looks pretty sweet!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCDAD34 View Post
My son is running the 4x4 slash. Rolling over somewhat but not doing bad with it.
Beating the heck out of it but there are guys at the track that use a slash with a lower chassis and are running great. The new LCG slash looks pretty sweet!
Yeah, I've seen the LCG chassis run locally. It's a night and day difference. The guys that have swapped in the new chassis run neck and neck with the losi and associated trucks.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You're on the right track looking @ the tekno sct410.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.