Correct slipper clutch setting? >

Correct slipper clutch setting?

Correct slipper clutch setting?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Correct slipper clutch setting?

Hi there,

I have an AE SC10 and I'm not sure my slipper is set correctly. At the moment I'm running a Novak 5000kv brushless with a 2s lipo, 17t pinion and 84t spur. Top speed is 56km/h (35mph) - Note, just switched out the 17t pinion for a 22t and whilst I haven't recorded the speed, it does appear noticeably faster.

Now, to the slipper.. I cannot get the truck to wheelie, not at all, not on any surface or from any 'starting speed'. All I get is a fairly loud rubbing/grinding type noise, which I assume is the slipper slipping as intended.

Is there some what for me to ensure I have it at the correct setting?

Cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Grinding would be a bad sound. A high pitch whine coming from the spur gear would be the slipper. If it sounds like it's grinding it could be your gear mesh set too tight.

For the slipper, look up on youtube on how to set slipper clutches. Or basically while your setting your slipper go ahead and plant both rear tires so they can't move. Have someone help you with this or grab one wheel with one hand and the other set your radio on top of it so that you can still give the truck throttle. If your truck isn't lifting at all that means that your slipper is too loose. Go ahead and go by quarter turns and tighten the slipper down slowly. Your gonna be looking for maybe 2-3 inches of wheel lift off of what ever surface you using. This amount is very dependent on you and how you like your cars to feel.

If your trying to get your truck to do wheelies....then stop. They may be cool, but ultimately end up doing way more damage than you want. They just look cool....that's it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

If you have a ball diff, make sure itís not the diff slipping, not good. It will quickly make the diff action rough and gritty. A slipping ball diff typically sounds somewhat like a dog barking, the so-called diff bark. Take the gear cover off and make sure the slipper shaft/spring/nut is not turning when doing the throttle punch described above, or when turning the spur gear by hand. If those are turning the ball diff is not tight enough (may require a rebuild if gritty feeling when turning the rear wheels in opposite directions).

With either ball or gear diff, be patient when doing the test mentioned. Itís easy to overheat the slipper, which best case can give inconsistent adjustments as it cools, worst case easily glaze the slipper pads. Donít hammer and hold the throttle. Just use short bursts, let cool off for a bit if you need more than a couple bursts.

If you get in the habit of turning the spur gear by hand itís not too hard to develop a feel for how tight it is before doing the throttle test as a final check.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank you

Matt.