Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Newbie in need of some help with lipos and charging >

Newbie in need of some help with lipos and charging

Newbie in need of some help with lipos and charging

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie in need of some help with lipos and charging

Hey there guys. Completely new to the rc scene. Just bought an HPI trophy truggy flux and am in search of some lipos. I decided to go with some turnigy nano tech hard case 5300mah. These have the cases that allow you to put on your own wire harnesses and since I need to use a deans plug, I found the harnesses online pretty cheap.
What I am having a real tough time with is understanding the charging process but in particular how to choose an acceptable charger? Would the charger need to accept the deans plug in order to work or do the batteries charge through that small balance plug that comes on most batteries? I have no clue about this stuff! HELP! Thanks guys
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Joser81
Hey there guys. Completely new to the rc scene. Just bought an HPI trophy truggy flux and am in search of some lipos. I decided to go with some turnigy nano tech hard case 5300mah. These have the cases that allow you to put on your own wire harnesses and since I need to use a deans plug, I found the harnesses online pretty cheap.
What I am having a real tough time with is understanding the charging process but in particular how to choose an acceptable charger? Would the charger need to accept the deans plug in order to work or do the batteries charge through that small balance plug that comes on most batteries? I have no clue about this stuff! HELP! Thanks guys
for a charger assuming you have one you will need the banana plugs that go into the charger and convert too deans like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNCU4&P=ML

most all chargers use the same size so this should work with any charger you have/get

the battery lead should have a little balance plug that is soldered to each of the positive and negative leads with a micro bullet that goes into the balance port on your battery on the end of this is usually a female 3 prong plug that goes into the balance board of the charger. from there just setup the charger for you battery requirements and there you go!

the battery lead should look like this just with a deans, you can see the extra little white plug:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVSM&P=7

hope this help, good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You can also skip the Deans adapter entirely and go with an adapter that goes from the bullets on the charger to bullets that go in the battery. It'll have an extra smaller cable with a smaller bullet on the battery that comes out to a balance plug, which will also plug into the charger.

I tend to just run everything direct (bullets into battery pack), as each level of adapter on a vehicle is something else that can go wrong or wear out or disconnect while I'm in a race.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi.. if u do what justpoet said U WILL Smoke a ESC..

stick with the DEANS much safer for a New RC person..

Most chargers you can put any Plug or wire connector you need on the end.. just solder and some heat shrink tube..

also there are several different DEANS.. The REAL DEANS..75 amp max.. The XL Deans my fav.. 100 amp max-- and the off brand deans 50 amp max at best.

The balance plug does charge but only in the balance charge settings..it also charges thru MAIN wires and Plug..

The nano tech battery are hit and miss more than 60% are not what the label says.. and they are very difficult to keep cells in balance(just cheap products)

There are many step by step guides online for LIPOS read the safe handling of LIPOS.. also watch a few youtube vids on lipos.. also Get a Lipo safe bag or charging bag for a lipo incase a battery fails during charging..

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

http://www.utahflyers.org/video-main...1-lipo-fires-1

READ and watch all this it should help..
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hpikillr
Hi.. if u do what justpoet said U WILL Smoke a ESC..

stick with the DEANS much safer for a New RC person..

Most chargers you can put any Plug or wire connector you need on the end.. just solder and some heat shrink tube..

also there are several different DEANS.. The REAL DEANS..75 amp max.. The XL Deans my fav.. 100 amp max-- and the off brand deans 50 amp max at best.

The balance plug does charge but only in the balance charge settings..it also charges thru MAIN wires and Plug..

The nano tech battery are hit and miss more than 60% are not what the label says.. and they are very difficult to keep cells in balance(just cheap products)

There are many step by step guides online for LIPOS read the safe handling of LIPOS.. also watch a few youtube vids on lipos.. also Get a Lipo safe bag or charging bag for a lipo incase a battery fails during charging..

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

http://www.utahflyers.org/video-main...1-lipo-fires-1

READ and watch all this it should help..
not true, that's also what i do with my stuff and have been for a long time never any problems if u plug in wrong yes you will smoke it of course but if you plug in the correct way it will work perfect! pretty much all pros do it as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HE is no pro read what ur replying in..He is NEW not a pro..

SEEN many pro use deans not many use direct bullet plugs that's a Myth..
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hpikillr
HE is no pro read what ur replying in..He is NEW not a pro..
well duh i was the first too comment i know exactly what I'm posting on I'm just making a point.. that its still safe too do it pro or not, it wont smoke an esc unless plugged in backwards.

edit: and i also never said he was a pro i just said pros do it

Cavalieri does:

http://www.neobuggy.net/2013/01/26/u...sociated-b4-2/

Maifield does:

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f...ing_Bellcrank/

Tebo does:

http://www.neobuggy.net/2013/01/25/u...os-kyosho-rb6/

if you look at every picture here they are all running straight too bullet connectors, not a myth bud (from recent 2013 reedy race)

http://gallery.neobuggy.net/2013Race...6234&k=Z5hrcng

the worlds top pro drivers all use this method because it works the best and they wouldnt use it if it was gonna fry there esc

Last edited by rcduder; 01-29-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Also important to note. Since the battery mentioned needs a harness in the first place, it is entirely possible to plug the harness in backwards and then just create a more permanent and destructive short by plugging the deans connector together. Either way has the same issue.

If the battery was natively a deans connector battery instead of bullets, then I'd say just go deans.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Well if it is safe, can someone direct me to where to get the wire with bullets that will go directly from the battery to the charger? Also, if I go with the deans plug to the charger, is a cable that says "bullet plugs" the same as one that says "banana plugs"?? Sorry it these are stupid questions.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joser81
Well if it is safe, can someone direct me to where to get the wire with bullets that will go directly from the battery to the charger? Also, if I go with the deans plug to the charger, is a cable that says "bullet plugs" the same as one that says "banana plugs"?? Sorry it these are stupid questions.
A lot of misinformation here....

When CHARGING - you are entirly safe using bullet plugs or deans plugs. It doesn't matter. If you use bullets and plug it in backwards (+ to -, and - to +) nothing happens except the charger will tell you your battery is plugged in backwadrs.

When PLUGGING YOUR BATTERY INTO YOU ESC - You certainly CAN fry your esc, but only if you plug your bullet plugs in backwards (+ to -, and - to +). You don't even have to turn the ESC on. Even with it off, if you accidentally plug it in backwards, pooof! your esc is gone.

It doesn't matter whether you use bullets or deans. Both work 100% equally as well as the other. The advantage of deans is that you can't plug your battery in backwards. The advantage of bullets, is a much cleaner looking wiring job. THATS IT.

(to answer your question, bullet plugs and banana plugs are not the same thing. Banana plugs are very differnet and are typically used in home theater installations to home amplifiers. You want bullet plugs... if you want to use them on your charger and ESC, you will need to buy male ended bullet plugs and solder them to the wires yourself).

Here is a link to some bullet plugs, the best you can buy: http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=2503
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Lol, don't even know what the ESC is!! Crap .
Can someone verify The link rcduder put in his first response to make sure that's what I can use? Cuz I found something similar on eBay but it says 4mm bullet charging connector with male deans.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Lol, don't even know what the ESC is!! Crap .
Can someone verify The link rcduder put in his first response to make sure that's what I can use? Cuz I found something similar on eBay but it says 4mm bullet charging connector with male deans.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry for the double post but thank you guys for all your help so far. Didn't think getting a battery powered rc would be this tough lol. Just want to makes get the right equipment.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Tech Elite

grr, I had a really nice long post typed out and rctech ate it. :\
My biggest advice is to go to your local hobby shop or race track and ask for somebody to show you what's what and how it all goes together.

Short version, there are at least 5 main components to every electric vehicle.
1) Battery
connects to #2

2) ESC (Electronic Speed Control), which generally includes a BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit). This is what tells the motor how fast to run and the BEC provides power to everything that is not the motor.
connects to #3 and #4

3) Motor. 2 major kinds, brushed and brushless. If you only have 2 wires going to it, it is brushed, if you have more wires to the motor from the ESC, it is brushless.
4) RX (receiver). This is where the antenna on the car is, and accepts the signals from your tx (transmitter/controller), and then tells the rest of the car what to do.
connects to #2 and #5

5) Servo. This is a small motor in a box that is designed to accurately turn to a specific location. It steers your car. To find it, look for a box with something sticking out of it that moves when you turn your wheels.

So, now that we know what's included...
If you plug the battery wires in backwards, the ESC/BEC goes poof...and that's probably the most expensive bit of electronics in the car.

While the prior poster is correct in that bullet plugs and banana plugs aren't the same, you'll often see them both being referred to as the same thing in RC, especially with chargers. Both of them consist of a tube on one side and a springy circular plug on the other. As long as they're the same size, they'll work with each other. For charging, any of them are just as good as another. For actually driving (the ones you solder to your ESC to plug into the battery), use the more solid type of connector that doesn't have a spinning cage...I just try to use those for everything so it is easy. Here's an example of the good kind:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-Connectors-3
and the bad kind (fine for charging though):
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...llet-Connector

That last link is what you will want to use when balance charging if you're using a Deans Ultra plug, and if you replace the 4mm cage style bullets with the other kind, you could use the same wire for driving (and never have to disconnect it, so you can't plug it in backwards) if you're also using Deans on the vehicle.

If your battery already has wires coming out of it instead of holes to plug stuff into it, just have a Deans plug soldered on and use that for everything. If not, using bullets directly works well unless you're careless about what you're plugging into. A handy tip for a bullet battery pack...use some bright red nail polish and put it around the + hole on the battery so it is easy to tell that you're connecting red wire to red hole and reduce the amount of thinking required (when people plug in backwards, it is usually because they're in a hurry or are busy talking instead of paying attention to what they're doing).

In almost all cases, the charger will simply have holes for bullets and an adapter spot to plug the balance tab (the plug on the smaller wires coming from the battery). The general size of bullet used on both batteries and chargers is 4mm.

For choosing a charger, I'd suggest a basic LiPo Balancing Charger. A cheap 50Watt charger (make sure it says AC powered unless you have a power supply already) will do nicely for your size pack, and is also the most commonly available type of charger. If you decide you need more power, batteries, types of batteries, etc down the road...then you'll probably want something different than anything you'd buy today anyway. An example of one of those is here:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

It all sounds horribly complicated, dangerous, etc...but once you've seen it and done it a few times it is all very safe and quite easy too. Always balance charge and things should generally be all smooth sailing.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow, thanks a lot poet!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.