Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New wheels and tires >

New wheels and tires

New wheels and tires

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile New wheels and tires

I am going to get the HPI TE37 0mm offset wheels and some HPI drift tires but is there anything else I need for them? I see tire glue and foam inserts in the accessories section but are these truly necessary? Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You will defintly need some tire glue and if the tires dont come with foams i would highly reccomend getting some. Without tire glue you will sling a tire off the wheel. Without Foams you will not get the best traction, Think of foams like air pressure in your real car, without air pressure it will ride rough and not handle worth a crap.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BT00561
You will defintly need some tire glue and if the tires dont come with foams i would highly reccomend getting some. Without tire glue you will sling a tire off the wheel. Without Foams you will not get the best traction, Think of foams like air pressure in your real car, without air pressure it will ride rough and not handle worth a crap.
Even with hard rubber or plastic drift tires?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

If they're drift tires don't try to force them on. There's some prep that you'll want to do. Basically what you want to do is boil the tires. Yes, that's right I said boil the tires. More or so let the water come to a light boil then do one tire at a time.

For Hard Drift Tires that don't require CA glue.
Step 1: Bring water to a boil
Step 2: Place one tire in the water for about 10 seconds, then flip tire and let soak for another 10 seconds.
Step 3: Quickly remove tire and place tire on to wheel and apply equal pressure around the wheel. (I use a cutting board to fully press the tire one)
Step 4: Repeat with the other 3 tires.

Hope this helps. I had a pain in the butt time trying to figure out a good way of doing this. If in doubt just youtube search for it. You should be able to find a few different videos on how to do it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by adamym
If they're drift tires don't try to force them on. There's some prep that you'll want to do. Basically what you want to do is boil the tires. Yes, that's right I said boil the tires. More or so let the water come to a light boil then do one tire at a time.

For Hard Drift Tires that don't require CA glue.
Step 1: Bring water to a boil
Step 2: Place one tire in the water for about 10 seconds, then flip tire and let soak for another 10 seconds.
Step 3: Quickly remove tire and place tire on to wheel and apply equal pressure around the wheel. (I use a cutting board to fully press the tire one)
Step 4: Repeat with the other 3 tires.

Hope this helps. I had a pain in the butt time trying to figure out a good way of doing this. If in doubt just youtube search for it. You should be able to find a few different videos on how to do it.
So no foam or glue?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are they a soft rubber or a very hard almost plastic like tire?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by adamym
Are they a soft rubber or a very hard almost plastic like tire?
It says its a "A slick, super hard, plastic-type drifting tire for easy sideways action and long tire life"
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Then yes, use the method I described above
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Rookie

I saw it a couple times on youtube but I couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the answer though. You've been helpful in multiple threads
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

It pretty easy. The thought behind what the poster above said is simple. Heat the tire up to expand it, ( like science class taught us long ago ) and slip the tire over the rim, as it cools it will contract and stay tight on the rim.

Most of the time, it is not hard to get drift tires on, I use the heel method, as in, I put the drift tire on, put it on the ground and use my heel to stomp the tire onto the rim. Works everytime.

I also like to put a pieces of electrical tape around the center of the rim for a good contact patch, sometimes they feel tight then you start to drift and the tires come off.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
It pretty easy. The thought behind what the poster above said is simple. Heat the tire up to expand it, ( like science class taught us long ago ) and slip the tire over the rim, as it cools it will contract and stay tight on the rim.

Most of the time, it is not hard to get drift tires on, I use the heel method, as in, I put the drift tire on, put it on the ground and use my heel to stomp the tire onto the rim. Works everytime.

I also like to put a pieces of electrical tape around the center of the rim for a good contact patch, sometimes they feel tight then you start to drift and the tires come off.
Sorry I meant I couldn't figure out whether to use glue and foam, not how to put the tires on. Thanks anyway
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

If you are using the soft rubber tires, yes you need the foam and glue

If you are using the hard pvc style plastic tires, you don't need the foam and the glue can be optional as well. I ran a dab of CA around the edge to help them stay together.