Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR upgrade Advice >

Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR upgrade Advice

Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR upgrade Advice

Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR upgrade Advice

Hi

I am new to rc cars and have just bought a Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR and just looking for some advice on upgrades I should look at getting to make it a little faster than stock speed. I am not looking at racing it but just general bashing/driving. I currently have a $300-$400 budget. I have been doing some reading up on upgrades, but I am confused about what upgrades I should get first.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newtothis2
Hi

I am new to rc cars and have just bought a Traxxas Rustler XL5 RTR and just looking for some advice on upgrades I should look at getting to make it a little faster than stock speed. I am not looking at racing it but just general bashing/driving. I currently have a $300-$400 budget. I have been doing some reading up on upgrades, but I am confused about what upgrades I should get first.
Brushless and Lipo would be the first thing I'd do. Traxxas makes the VXL system and would work great for your purposes since you won't be racing.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I believe Traxxas has a trade in deal where you give them your brushed motor and ESC and for $120 you get their brushless system. Get some lipo's and call it a day. In my opinion, the Rustler is not worth throwing a lot of money at. Most of the alloy bits you see for sale aren't very good quality and often weigh more than the plastic parts they replace.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I agree the trade up is a way to go,but for the 30 to 40 dollars you will save I would,or should I say have ,kept the xl-5 for a update on a future rc(i.e my grandsons circuit).I think traxxas is counting on people doing the trade up.
It keeps the original perches price down,then they get the esc back,give it a once over ,and re sell it. Just my opinion,but your lhs wants $60 for a new xl-5. And $22 more for a titan.
Personally, I have three,one As I said is in my gs,circuit, another I put in one of my trucks(esc and titan) he says him and papa are the same then,when we run together,the third,I broke in and put up for another day.Then when I run,I use a velineon ar cc 3800 in one of my three trucks.
Again, just my opinion.
Originally Posted by CTRJ
I believe Traxxas has a trade in deal where you give them your brushed motor and ESC and for $120 you get their brushless system. Get some lipo's and call it a day. In my opinion, the Rustler is not worth throwing a lot of money at. Most of the alloy bits you see for sale aren't very good quality and often weigh more than the plastic parts they replace.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Default rustler xl-5 advice for bashing

you should get an aluminum front bulk head and front tie bar as thts a very vulnerable spot on the car for bashing, RPM A-arms hub carriers an castor blocks, and strut towers.. youll be lighter and stronger for dirt cheap.. ide get a tekin rs esc an run titan 12 turn motors or wat ever u want, thts what I do for my bash rustler n it goes fast from the back yard to the street in front of my house, I have found that 3s lipos will burn a titan motor maybe it was too much? either way nihm, 2s lipo work great with that set-up for bashing, or raceing what ever u choose. sincerely
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up esc for you

tekin rs esc $190 maybe cheaper if it were used on ebay... best esc ever u wont be upset trust me.. your rustler will thank you, and haul ass. oh the rs esc isn't water proof but if u dab some plasti dip or liquid tape on the back of the circuit board, buttons, and case opening your golden!!!! don't sleep on the tekin, vellenion sucks it over heats n with th rs esc u can tune it how ever u like!! thts it go get u one bro!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newtothis2
Hi

Traxxas offers power-up trade program, you can burn out the stock motor and speed control then turn them in to a participating local hobby shop and buy the VXL brushless system at a $40 - $50 off street price.