Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to the RC scene >

New to the RC scene

New to the RC scene

Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the RC scene

I picked up a Traxxas Nitro Revo few months ago (first RC i ever owned) and learned alot from this forum, which has helped me to keep my Revo going so far, unfortunately, things are starting to wear out now and troubleshooting is a little more difficult, which brings me here .... Does anyone know how to check if the one-way bearing for the EZ-start system is going out ? ... it looks like the flywheel is skipping when starting.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

When I used to have a revo it started to do the same thing. I'm not sure if there's really a way to check the one way bearing though. I changed mine just because I figured that was the problem and sure enough it fixed it. They are pretty cheap so I would grab two just to have a spare laying around. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Exclamation Here ya go!!

A certain amount of fuel leaks around the starter shaft on all engines so this becomes necessary at times. When the alcohol evaporates out of the fuel the oil can coat the bearing and cause it to slip on the starter shaft. Remove the three screws that attach the EZ-Start gear box to the engine. Pull the one way bearing out of the white nylon main gear (the main gear is metal in the newer models) and examine the black metal case for a crack. If the case is cracked the bearing must be replaced. Soak the one way bearing in Nitro Wash (Part #5050....$7.99) for at least 2 hours but overnight if possible. If you can't get Nitro Wash, you can use 100% de-natured alcohol. Blow out the one way bearing with compressed air and clean off the starter shaft extremely well. It is not necessary to lubricate the one way bearing. Re-insert the one way bearing in the main gear with the silver rim facing out. Put the EZ-Starter back on the engine and it should work correctly.
The next things to check are the bushing in the back plate of the engine and the starter shaft. If the bushing in the back plate is allowing an excess of fuel and oil (a slight amounts of oil and fuel on the shaft is normal) to leak onto the shaft, the back plate will need to be replaced. Check the starter shaft to make sure that it is not worn gouged or cracked. If this is the case, the starter shaft has probably become misshapen from the force of the bearing trying to turn it. You will also want to replace the shaft at the same time as the back plate.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

I'll tear it down and check everything that was mentioned before i start throwing parts at it ... i just seen that little one-way bearing cost ~$20 bucks ... so it'll be worth the effort.

Thanks for letting me know what to look for.