R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A few basic questions

I guess this deserves a little back story since its my first post. About 5 years ago I got an R/C for Christmas but though very little of it and wasn't interested. I was cleaning out some things from my old room and found it stashed away. Turns out is was an Exceed R/C on-road electric which I guess is around $200. Now I want to turn it into a drift car with a body (since it didn't come with one) and new wheels and tires. The body I have pretty much got already but what tires should I get along with any other parts that might be helpful to get me into drifting. Keep in mind my budget is VERY limited at the moment.

tl;dr What tires should I get to start drifting and what other parts should I get on a limited budget?
r3dizsiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I don't really do drift or onroad, however I've seen a bunch of bashers do drifting by simply putting slim sections of PVC pipe on their rims instead of rubber. Just make sure to round the edges so they don't catch.
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Sanwa, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Yes some people are using PVC pipe to put on wheels, but even thought that money is tough right now, drift tires last pretty much forever unless your running on rough concrete or asphalt. Any brand will be fine...even pvc if your up to the challenge. If you get on amainhobbies.com you can find that you can buy a set of drift tires for around 15 dollars. I've never used them personally. I always try to go with the hpi drift tires and some pretty legit wheels. Think of it as an investment because of how long the tires will last. Just keep in mind that I only drift on smooth concrete and carpet.
HB TC-FD, SP Reventon Pro, Tekin 8.5 * Xray XB4 Orion R10 Pro, Fantom 6.5
adamym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. Gunna go with black TE37 wheels and probably some of the licensed HPI drift tires.
r3dizsiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have a set of the pvc wheels that I made. I will recommend getting a real set of drift tires to put on it. The PVC tires work but they lack any forward bite. So unless you like drifting at about 5 mph, get some drift tires.
Testmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote