Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
what's the best charger for me? >

what's the best charger for me?

what's the best charger for me?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? what's the best charger for me?

I am looking to get started using lipo batteries and I need to buy a charger. So, my question is: which one do I get that will give me the features I want and is above all DURABLE?

the batteries I will be purchasing (once I figure out a charger) are 2s 5800mah batteries.

the features I NEED;
-ability to charge at 5.8 or 6 amps
-balancing function
-discharge function
-ability to charge 2 at a time

the features I WANT;
-storage function
-ability to tell it how much to charge the cells to (not really a big consideration)
-dual power capable (i.e. will run off of a car batt or an ac plug at home)
-built in power supply
-ability to charge 3s lipos

I'm hoping not to spend over $275 on batts and a charger, so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. the batts I'm getting are $40 ea. so I'm looking for a REALLY GOOD charger for under $195

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check out thunder dual power ac680 Has everything you need and was only 45$ a few months ago. I've been using it and its a great durable charger. Think I got it on hobbypartz.com
Edit-- just saw you said you want to charge two batteries this one only does one at a time but I think they make a dual charger.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For 6 amps on 2s, all you need is a standard 50 watt charger (per battery charging channel), which almost everything is today (or better than).

Unfortunately, there are only a few dual and quad chargers that are AC/DC, and most of those are more than the price of 2 of the above chargers. As an example, I have a Hitec X4 AC and have no complaints, but it was definitely not cheap.

If you plan to add more chargers, more power, more vehicles, larger batteries, etc into the mix in the near future... Then I would suggest that you simply go the DC route and get/build a decent power supply...then you can run a bunch of the cheap DC chargers that have more power for less price. If you only plan to stick to wanting to do 2 batteries though, it probably is most cost efficient to just buy 2 of the AC models mentioned above.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I am also looking for a charger and was told just spend the money and get a Powerlab
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

+1 for just buying two cheaper single-port AC/DC chargers.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

The onyx 245 charges two at once,but i don't believe it has a discharge mode,about $120. The 235 charges one at a time but much faster, and will charge anything from your lipo to your cell phone. And is firmware upgradeable, about $89.and will charge up to 4s.
Originally Posted by Royalty1
I am looking to get started using lipo batteries and I need to buy a charger. So, my question is: which one do I get that will give me the features I want and is above all DURABLE?

the batteries I will be purchasing (once I figure out a charger) are 2s 5800mah batteries.

the features I NEED;
-ability to charge at 5.8 or 6 amps
-balancing function
-discharge function
-ability to charge 2 at a time

the features I WANT;
-storage function
-ability to tell it how much to charge the cells to (not really a big consideration)
-dual power capable (i.e. will run off of a car batt or an ac plug at home)
-built in power supply
-ability to charge 3s lipos

I'm hoping not to spend over $275 on batts and a charger, so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. the batts I'm getting are $40 ea. so I'm looking for a REALLY GOOD charger for under $195

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
+1 for just buying two cheaper single-port AC/DC chargers.
That will be your best bet
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billy bones
The onyx 245 charges two at once,but i don't believe it has a discharge mode,about $120. The 235 charges one at a time but much faster, and will charge anything from your lipo to your cell phone. And is firmware upgradeable, about $89.and will charge up to 4s.
I was told don't worry about the discharge ability of a charger...just run it close to where it needs to be. There is no advantage of getting a charger that has the discharge feature other than it does it by itself but you still have to watch it...same as running your RC to the low voltage cutoff...if you run it that far - you run the risk of ruining the lipo...no different with a discharge feature on a charger. Personally I might be going down the onyx 245 road myself....two at once....5amps (wish it was at least 6) but the big thing is built in AC AND a 5 yr warranty....those cheapo chargers only cost $25-30 but they tell you to buy two...well the onyx 245 isn't that much more and you get the piece of mind for 5 yrs....those others have 30-90 day warranties. Just something to ponder.....same as the batteries....quality isn't really there on the super cheap ones.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would strongly recommend getting two Hitec X1's. Great chargers, will do what you want, are AC/DC, and unlike a dual charger, if something happens to it, you're done. If something happens to one charger, it'll just take a little longer