Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Pinion gear problem >

Pinion gear problem

Pinion gear problem

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Pinion gear problem

I am trying to finish building my first kit (FT SC10) and I am stuck with the pinion gear. I went out an bought the one suggested by Castle and i can not get it to match up with the spur gear. I have tried to readjust the motor in the motor mount but every time I tighten everything down the pinion gear drops and doesnt even come close to touching the teeth of the spur gear...getting frustrated
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you know what size the pinion is? Is it just to small to reach the spur? Best way to do pinion if you have no experience with them is put a piece of paper between the pinion and spur. While pushing the motor against the spur tighten the bolts down. If this doesn't work you will either need a bigger pinion or spur gear.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

When you say bigger pinion gear is that moor teeth or a different pitch?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The pitch needs to match. I believe on your truck the spur gear is a 48 pitch, 84 tooth. You should be able to use anything from a 13 to a 25 for a pinion and still be within the motor mount. Your pinion needs to be 48 pitch as well. The pitch determines the size of the teeth. For them to mesh correctly, they must be the same.

How many teeth are on your pinion? As mentioned above, the beginner way to mount them is to wedge a piece of paper between the pinion and spur, hold them together, and tighten down the motor. This should leave the fraction of an inch clearance that is needed between the two gears.

By pinion gear drops, do you mean it slips off the motor shaft? Are you tighthening the tiny little allen screw in the pinion? Are you lining up the allen screw with the flat side of the motor shaft?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes I mean bigger pinion as in more teeth. Of it's not touching at all and the motor is slid all the way over then you need a bigger pinion. But yes the pinion and spur need to be the same pitch. If its a new kit then it will be 48 pitch and the spur gear should be an 87 tooth. Pinion should be about a 20 tooth.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks guys. When I get home I will check the pitch of the two and see if they match. Thanks a lot!