Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Is this car any good? >

Is this car any good?

Is this car any good?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Is this car any good?

I got my son an RC car for Christmas found out we had a track 2 miles from our house, so I'm looking to get a decent car so I can race wit him.
I found this one but I'm not sure if its a good car.
If not any advice would be good, I'd like to keep it $300 or under since we're not going pro or anything.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have enough post to paste the URL.
It's a 1/8 redcat hurricane Xtr normally $638 on sale $299
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tank1023 View Post
I got my son an RC car for Christmas found out we had a track 2 miles from our house, so I'm looking to get a decent car so I can race wit him.
I found this one but I'm not sure if its a good car.
If not any advice would be good, I'd like to keep it $300 or under since we're not going pro or anything.
Thanks in advance.

I don't have enough post to paste the URL.
It's a 1/8 redcat hurricane Xtr normally $638 on sale $299
i wouldnt recomend getting that for going too the track just because parts would be close too impossible too find parts supply is always a must
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Redcat is more of a basher car company . If you want something for race your better off sticking to something like Losi,Ae, Ofna, Mugen,Hpi etc .
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Agree with rcduder. I would pick 2 or 3 buggies and then research their parts availability. I use Amain Hobbies, RC Planet and eBay. I think the HPI Vorza, Ve8 and Trophy have a excellent parts availability ebay is full of parts for them, ebay traders I use alot are Jennys RC, Dollar Hobbies, Heartland RC and Radicooluk. Another option would be if they race at that track by you go down on race day and ask them what the majority of them are using. The for sale section on this site is a very good place for buying too I have got a few awesome deals from members here.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

The only place in my town that sells nitro RC cars is hobby town and they seem to carry very few nitro cars and carry mostly traxxas. They are a little out of my price range.
I'm a total noob when it comes to nitro cars could anyone provide some links to ones they recommend?
I'd like to have a buggy 1/8 or maybe 1/10 th
Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Please avoid Redcat. They're not a bargain, they're simply cheap..In initial cost but in quality as well, even if you can get parts.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If your a noob it might be better to steer clear of nitro. I've done nitro for the last 10 years and takes a bit to get them to run right, up keep yada yada. Maybe check into brushless with lipo and trust me you will not be disappointed.

As everyone else said stick with name brand so parts are easy to get
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
If your a noob it might be better to steer clear of nitro. I've done nitro for the last 10 years and takes a bit to get them to run right, up keep yada yada. Maybe check into brushless with lipo and trust me you will not be disappointed.

As everyone else said stick with name brand so parts are easy to get
I got my sons car broken in and tuned pretty good, I may be a noob to RC cars but I'm pretty handy.
I like the idea of the upkeep and teaching my son how to fix things and use his hands for more then video games.

Thanks for the suggestions , I will stay away from redcat.
I saw a 1/8th losi that looks pretty nice and for $320
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Didn't know you had other nitro cars. That is great to do with your son. I learned a lot of how stuff works working on rc cars. Now full time mechanic but still play with my toy cars lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I know it's a little more around 450-500 but u can get a rtr 1/8th AE buggy and it would be awesome
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got the Associated rc8 rtr. Not a bad car, first thing that broke was the one-way bearing. They said it was a bad bearing and send me one for free, 2 day air. I like the set up and its quick! Not a bad choice at all, plus my local hobby shop carries numerous parts for them.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tank1023 View Post
I got my sons car broken in and tuned pretty good, I may be a noob to RC cars but I'm pretty handy.
I like the idea of the upkeep and teaching my son how to fix things and use his hands for more then video games.

Thanks for the suggestions , I will stay away from redcat.
I saw a 1/8th losi that looks pretty nice and for $320
Losi sounds like a much better idea. I'd suggest you head to the track introduce yourself and see what the others are running, you may be surprised as to what's on offer 2nd hand with spares.

You could take it home, give it a quick run, download the manual, spend hours of fun pulling it down, cleaning, learning and inspecting it and coming back here for more questions.

Ive said it many times but as a father with two sons who race, when I ammortize the amount of quality "boys" time we've spent in comparison with the PS2/3 games , there's no comparison in which is better value and which will leave priceless life long memories of a good time with dad.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If your looking for a electric 1/10th, have a look at the associated B4.1 as parts are extremely cheap and I have bashed with mine a fair bit and have found it to be quite strong and reliable.