Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sh.18 to sh.28 upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default sh.18 to sh.28 upgrade questions

hello, i have a hsp 1/8 scale truck and it came with an sh.18 engine. this engine worked fine for a bit but now it has air leaks and stuff.

i decided to upgrade to an sh 28 engine and i was wondering if the flywheel and the clutch from the sh.18 would fit the sh.28 engine if not what flywheel will i need instead, and what parts if any i would need to replace in the whole clutch/flywheel assembly.

thanks.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone???
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You sure that truck is an 1/8 scale? I looked up that brand and all I could find is that it is a 1/10 scale. Never seen an 1/8 truck come with.18 usually 1/10 trucks. Pretty sure you would have to get new cone and flywheel for a .28. If it is a 1/10 scale I doubt a.28 would fit the motor mounts. I know there used to be a company that made adaptors to go form .12-.18 mounts to fit a .21-.28 motor for the Associated rc10gt could look into that.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

yes, i am certain its a 1/8 scale here is the link to it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HSP-1-8-R...ht_5866wt_1397

i thought it was strange that it had the same engine as my bro's and my bro's friends 1/10 scales
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Hmm ok. That .18 is still considered a small block engine. .28s are big block engines. So your clutch,flywheel,endbell,clutch nut,cone AND pipe and exhaust manifold will all be different. I doubt if the motor mounts are even big enough to fit a .28. If you just want to keep that engine and you know it is an air leak you can fix it by putting high temp rtv silicone around the back plate and around the carb that usually will fix an air leak. Unless its in your tank. To check tank pull off and blow into the line going into carb while pinching the line going to pipe. If there is no leak the top off the tank will kinda pop if you blow hard. If you blow and there is no pop and feels like you are just blowing air then there is leak in tank. Alot of times I is just the seal at top of the tank. Take a look at the seal and make sure it's clean and not messed up. Make sure ALL bolts are tight also including the head bolts sometimes they can come loose.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Tech Rookie

i have already bought the sh.28 my .18 is pretty screwed up.

do you have a link to a flywheel that would fit it?

this is basically the one i currently have: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/02068-HSP...ht_3322wt_1037

would this one suit the .28?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PART-8301...#ht_500wt_1054
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah that should work. They are all pretty much universal for a .21 or .28. same goes for any of the parts really. Clutch,endbell,pipe etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Rookie

well i got the engine and it is pretty massive. I will definitely need new engine mounts aswell and possibly need to get an electric start cause the pull-starter is too big and it hits the lower rear suspension arm.

i contacted my lhs and they said they might be able to fit it with something.

it will be a bit before i got some money for the stuff though cause i don't work (still in school)

in regards to my old engine i am quite certain the front bearing (near the flywheel) is leaking air and i think around the carb is too. i also think the piston sleeve has warped.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nevets_19
well i got the engine and it is pretty massive. I will definitely need new engine mounts aswell and possibly need to get an electric start cause the pull-starter is too big and it hits the lower rear suspension arm.

i contacted my lhs and they said they might be able to fit it with something.

it will be a bit before i got some money for the stuff though cause i don't work (still in school)

in regards to my old engine i am quite certain the front bearing (near the flywheel) is leaking air and i think around the carb is too. i also think the piston sleeve has warped.
I think you are opening up a can of worms for yourself.

Shop around the 2nd hand threads here and look for Hyper 1:8 buggy or truggy with clutch and engine mounts. For all the mods you are about to make you may find someone who's prepared to sell a roller with a clutch fo $100. Ask in the wanted threads!