Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Backup electronics when racing? >

Backup electronics when racing?

Backup electronics when racing?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Backup electronics when racing?

It sounds like brushless motors last in years nowadays. What about servos and ESC's? When I raced long ago, I had a few backup electronics on race day. Is that a thing of the past?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The electronics are pretty reliable, but they do fail sometimes. The vast majority of ESC failures I've seen are from people accidentally plugging them in backwards.

Having a spare ESC and servo is nice insurance, but would rarely be needed.

The motors don't really last years. Not in spec classes anyway, since most people gear just below meltdown, the rotors get cooked and lose magnetism. Mod motors will be competitive longer, if you keep the bearings in good condition.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It really all depends on how competitive you want to be.
Many places have a shop, so you can get replacements of some sort, in the unlikely event that something happens.
However, if you're more competitive, it isn't uncommon to keep a spare of everything (or a spare car). I want to eventually get to a point where I have a spare full electronics set. Then if something happens, I can just pop the esc and motor out and drop the replacements in without having to deal with soldering, and be back ready to go with peace of mind in a few minutes and a couple screws.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I keep a cheap RTR servo in my pit box in case of failure at the track. I haven't had to use it, but i'd just throw it on the throttle and move the throttle servo to steering. I can't justify having a $120 servo sitting in my pit box for a spare...LOL... Don't race electrics, so don't know about ESC's, etc. I always have an already broken-in backup nitro engine with me as well. You just never know...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Keep a spare sensor cable handy. That's the only thing I've really ever had fail on me during racing, at least for the electronics.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Suspended

I keep spare everything.. just because I know what I'm doing..always have a spare..
as 4 esc only going out when cross wired thats PURE BULL..seen a Novak Ballistic esc go up in flames in the middle of a 6 minute main..(guess the marshall ran out in mid air and crossed his wire LOL @ that statement) also put in a new Hitec servo 1st turn touched the corner post and blew the servo apart....

Always have a backup setup to your radio ready to Drop in and Go..If your wallet- wife -or bank lets u LOL..
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carpet Racer69 View Post
I keep spare everything.. just because I know what I'm doing..always have a spare..
as 4 esc only going out when cross wired thats PURE BULL..seen a Novak Ballistic esc go up in flames in the middle of a 6 minute main..(guess the marshall ran out in mid air and crossed his wire LOL @ that statement) also put in a new Hitec servo 1st turn touched the corner post and blew the servo apart....

Always have a backup setup to your radio ready to Drop in and Go..If your wallet- wife -or bank lets u LOL..
Do you have a problem understanding english? I said the majority of the failures I've seen is from someone plugging it in wrong. "Majority" means more than half, not all.

I have had an ESC fail in my car and I've seen others fail in their cars too, but I've seen far more fail because of user error.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Locked

I agree with you I see a lot of people even people who think they know what there doing plug things in wrong. I keep a esc for both 1/8 & 1/10 and 1servo and yes have a sensor wire handy