Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
When to use a shorty pack? >

When to use a shorty pack?

When to use a shorty pack?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default When to use a shorty pack?

I'm running 17.5 SC with a Durango DESC210R. I raced long ago with Losi buggies and always had a problem with being heavy. Because of this, I got a couple of shorty packs for my SC.

The races I run are 5 min qualifiers with 6 min mains. I have hear 8 min mains on occasion though.

How do you decide which size of battery to run?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For 17.5 SC, runtime won't be the issue, ever. I ran a 20 minute main once in that class a couple years ago and it didn't take a 5000mah pack halfway down so a @4000 shorty will be fine for 8. You can run your shorty for every race as far as that goes and once you setup your truck for the shorty (ride height, balance, etc.), you'll want to anyway as resetting all those to switch back and forth will get to be a pita between heats.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

^+1

I recently started replacing all my batteries with shorties. Having the extra room in the chassis has made it a ton easier organizing the wiring and other components. The obvious advantage is you have more adjustability in weight distribution of course. My Losi SCB was nose diving over several shorter jumps. I played and played with settings trying to calm it down. I finally stuck in a shorty, moved it all the way back and suddenly its become a top contender at our local track

I was able to find a couple of TrakPower 4400mah, 50C shorties and am able to make a 20 minute Main with a 13.5 motor.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

With the Shorty Packs on the market today you will not have to worry about run-time in a spec class and as many others have pointed out you have much more flexibility on weight distribution.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Awesome. Thanks guys. I seem to get a lot of "Oh, you're running a shorty pack?" reactions at the track. Like they're gimped or something.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
Awesome. Thanks guys. I seem to get a lot of "Oh, you're running a shorty pack?" reactions at the track. Like they're gimped or something.
Its probably more frustration for them...they realize that you are roughly 100 grams lighter than they are and the only way for them to trim that much off is buy some shorties.