ESC and Motor combos.. Can I mix it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC and Motor combos.. Can I mix it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ESC and Motor combos.. Can I mix it?

Hi everyone, can I mix esc and motor with different brands?
How to determine?
I just finished build up 1/10 TC kit and expect to run it at my local track this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Yes most of the time you can. Only ones I've had problems with has been with a Novak esc and different motor. Maybe this has changed with their newest releases.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

For the most part, yes, you can. A few things you have to consider...in most cases, you can't run a sensored motor on a sensorless ESC for example. Mostly you have to make sure the ESC can handle the motor wind or KV.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+1 on making sure you are combining sensored w/sensored etc. typically the weaker link is ESC, not the motor... you can't over invest in an ESC
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hotrod87
Yes most of the time you can. Only ones I've had problems with has been with a Novak esc and different motor. Maybe this has changed with their newest releases.
I'm just thinking of mixing Novak GTB 2 esc with a LRP Vector K4 motor. From the looks of it, I should avoid it right?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quickershifter
I'm just thinking of mixing Novak GTB 2 esc with a LRP Vector K4 motor. From the looks of it, I should avoid it right?

Not really, I have ran a Orion Vortex motor, a hobbywing Xerun, and a Trinity Speed gems brushless motor on a GTB2, I think the problem was mostly with the Tekin motor. Something to do with a temp sensor, but I never ran into any problems.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
For the most part, yes, you can. A few things you have to consider...in most cases, you can't run a sensored motor on a sensorless ESC for example. Mostly you have to make sure the ESC can handle the motor wind or KV.
How do I determine this? All I know KV means RPM per volts (correct me if I'm wrong). If I'm running 2-cell Lipo with a 3300kv motor, then it will give me 7.4v*3300kv=24,420 RPM's.

Also, from what I know, Volt*Amp=Watt. If that particular motor is producing 195Watts, then Amps=195W/7.4V=26.35A (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Is this how we determine what kind of ESC to match the motor? And I don't know how to calculate how to find an Amps on an ESC. (Usually the spec of the ESC doesn't indicated by the manufacturer).
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quickershifter

That would work just fine.

The only esc from Novak that had issues running some motors was the first gen Havoc, which they haven't made for well over a year, almost 2 maybe.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Pondering the same thing. Wondering if a tekin 2050 motor could be paired with a mamba max pro. Castle's black friday sale is very tempting and i have always had great luck with castle products. Want the tekin motor because it's sensored and the Kv for my application. I already have the castle link software so i can't see why i should spend $200 on a an rx-8.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Pondering the same thing. Wondering if a tekin 2050 motor could be paired with a mamba max pro. Castle's black friday sale is very tempting and i have always had great luck with castle products. Want the tekin motor because it's sensored and the Kv for my application. I already have the castle link software so i can't see why i should spend $200 on a an rx-8.
The mamba should be fine as long as the vehicle is not on the heavy side. Most 1:8 buggies you will be OK, just near the limit. Most monster trucks or truggies you will be past that limit.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
The mamba should be fine as long as the vehicle is not on the heavy side. Most 1:8 buggies you will be OK, just near the limit. Most monster trucks or truggies you will be past that limit.
It will be going in a tekno eb48, lightest 8th scale e-buggy out there. I am concerned about the overheating issues as one guy who did the same thing said it worked fine but towards the end of long mains, his power would drop, not due to lvc, just the esc getting hot. Starting to think Bout biting the bullet and just getting the full tekin combo.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

What is the difference between sensored and sensorless?