Wiki Posts
Search

Drift Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Drift Car Advice

Hi all,

I would like ya advice on which brushless drift car 1:10 to buy, I have a budget of around £200.

Also, I currently own a tamiya dark impact DF-03 brushed rc and thinking about upgrading the motor to a brushless, any advice on what is required?

Cheers
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Drift Car Chassis: i recommend any shaft driven chassis for drifting. I ran an xray which is belt driven and it kept throwing the belts. I use a heavily modified Tamiya TT-01 now, but don't recommend it. You have to make too many alterations to make it worth it and not many adjustments available... it is cheap though.. a second hand team associated TC3 would work well.

Diff set up is the biggest thing... lock or tighten the rear.. loosen the front diff. If oil filled diffs.. then oil grades... if ball diff then simply tighten rear and loosen front. Spool the rear if available to you.

Note... this is the exact opposite way you would set up a racing car.

Steering upgrades are available for greater steering angles.. google that stuff

Brushless: very good upgrade.. decision first.. race or bash

Race.. i recommend a sensored system (has a sensor cable from the motor to the esc). Then i would get a 17.5T motor as this is the stock racing standard. Hobbywing V2.1 Esc for secondhand, or V3 for new. These will need a programming card and hooked to the internet to upload firmware (there is an awesome thread relating to this on here). Set you back about $120 australian for esc, about $100 for a motor... ebay or for sale section on here.

Bashing.. much cheaper Hobbywing combo EZRUN comes with esc and motor for a fraction of the price. No sensor cable, minimal programming, so plug and play. Can pick one of these up for less than $100.

Note... 1 australian dollar is about 1/2 pound..
Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

really appreciate the reply

so basically what ya saying is that there is no rc's you can buy straight off the shelf for drifting?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Most drift cars are belt driven, not shaft. Belt drive is not a bad thing IF you plan on maintaining your car. Belts are smoother, quieter, and you can tune your car using them (counter steering). I run an Xray T2 and 3Racing Sakura D3 CS, both are belt drive and I have never broke a belt and I run a 7.5 (5800kv) in the Xray and a 10.5 in the Sakura. And a 10.5 sensored motor is your best bet for drifting it has a good amount of torque and speed to satisfy just about any taste. You can buy RTR drifters such as the HPI E10 and Sprint 2. A lot of guys that I drift with run Sprints, you really can't go wrong with one of them. Hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

was looking at hpi sprint 2 on ebay, comes with a hpi 19t brushed motor and standard hpi esc

also investing in some drift tyres

that enough to get me going sideways or will it need a brushless kit?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The brushed kit will be fine to start out, but once you get the hang of it you'll want more power.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...drift-car.html

here is a link to a similar thread related to new RTR drift cars
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all ya help guys, will post when I take the plunge!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

plunge taken, bought tonight Maverick-Strada-DC-Evo-S-Brushless-2-4GHz-1-10-RTR-Car

any battery upgrades required for longer runtimes etc?