R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Some, but not all, sponsors won't let you run a vehicle from any other company, even if the company sponsoring you doesn't have one in that class. This is one of the (several) reasons somebody I know dropped their sponsor, as they wanted to drive in the other class too.
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Sanwa, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpoet View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Some, but not all, sponsors won't let you run a vehicle from any other company, even if the company sponsoring you doesn't have one in that class. This is one of the (several) reasons somebody I know dropped their sponsor, as they wanted to drive in the other class too.
Not always.. Example is that Ty runs AE and TLR 1/10 vehicles.

www.IERCRaceway.com - www.Facebook.com/IERCRaceway
So*Cal AFDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your question was about Losi, so run Losi product and attend every major race you can. If you are seen at the big events and do well, you will have a good chance at sponsorship. Sponsors can be a big help to a racer, and if you love to race and have the desire to do well , help those getting started and keep a good attitude toward the sport and fellow racers. I have sponsors and they treat me great.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

try getting a local sponsor first. that will help you to get more sponsors. you have to climb the ladder like everyone else.
Gncc Racing
2014 finishes 6th,masontown wv,8th mountain ridge pa,12 powerline park ohio
ww29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #20

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Just like getting a job, you need to have a good resume.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww29 View Post
try getting a local sponsor first. that will help you to get more sponsors. you have to climb the ladder like everyone else.
+1!

Getting a sponsorship with a LHS I would say is the first port of call.

This usually involves getting discount on parts etc, or free parts depending on how you are evaluated.

After that, getting electrics sponsors or a chassis sponsor is the second or third step of the ladder.

Start small and see if you like the process of being sponsored. The higher you go up the ladder, be prepared to commit more to your racing and of course, end up spending more!

I have had 3 sponsors in 18 years of racing, now I just have the one and i'm happy with where I am.

The moment you take the second step on the ladder your racing starts to feel more pressurised into getting good results and there is a lot more communication involved between sponsors, including product development and being a sponge to taking in information about your chosen products within sponsorship. (IMO).

The benefits of being on the second step of the ladder didn't justify my own racing agenda, as much as I liked being on the team and giving my input to the products I used, I ultimately felt it was too much hard work for what I got back in return having to prove yourself every year to be in with a chance for getting sponsorship the next year.

I have a much more relaxed stance in my racing now i'm back on the first step of the ladder with regards to sponsorship - and i'm glad I made that decision I changed as a person virtually overnight - Not worrying about getting a good result and feeling laid back in general.

It is great to be around people that totally understand the product you race with, but if you have been around in rc long enough, you know sufficient knowledge to enjoy your racing without sponsorship (or minimal sponsorship) and still get a relatively good result at the end of it.

It is all about understanding your limits, wether it be financial, technical understanding, car setup or ability in general and deciding if you want to take it a step further.

You have to take a good look at yourself. and if you can commit yourself to your racing, and contract/s.

When you start racing week in, week out you will see a bigger bill on tyres at least, then car breakages etc also have to be factored in as and when they occur.

I race once or twice a month and although im not the fastest, i'm enjoying it much more now!

Id rather enjoy my racing more and spend less, than spend more and over focus on getting a good result.

We are racing toy cars for bowling trophies, I guess it depends on how bad you want that trophy and at what scale you are prepared to spend to get it and keep the enjoyment going!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Tech Regular

http://rctruckstop.com/2012/11/10/ho...a-race-resume/

Recent article on the subject of getting sponsored.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would think beating your competition with no name stuff such as turnigy batteries, tacon motors, and other cheap items would be a good way! It shows that name brand stuff isn't much better.
rchogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

to get a sponsorship..
you need to be on the podium more often than not
friendly- be a sales man along with a racer-always have a Good attitude--
and bang on doors these days its Email..

Im sponsored by a not so well known radio company ..they sent me 2 new radios 6rx and there slick carry case all 4 FREE..

so people telling u .about contracts and buying..just dont know..
hpikillr is offline   Reply With Quote